Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Ever notice that airplay seems to only work when the ATV is on Wifi? I have a 720p ATV and it is wired directly into a home plug network system.

This has been a lot more robust then depending on the 802.11n signal coming from downstairs. Less buffering, drops etc.

However, Airplay does not work with it. Anyone else dislike that?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Ever notice that airplay seems to only work when the ATV is on Wifi?
No

This has been a lot more robust then depending on the 802.11n signal coming from downstairs. Less buffering, drops etc.
as is to be expected

Airplay does not work with it. Anyone else dislike that?
i've got mine wired, and have no problems.

-------
airplay should work from wireless to wired, you've got something set up wrong.

you need to check the settings in your router to make sure that the wireless and wired portions of your network can talk to each other.

chambord

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Yup, the OP definitely has a big messup somewhere. I have whole-house cat 6 wiring and I AirPlay all over the house (outside, in the office, living room, kitchen, etc.)

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Me too!. I have mine wired and I have NO issues with airplay. You most likely have your networks separated by a router. Does the home plug have a built in router?

robanga

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Thanks everyone. I will check the setup again.

----------

Me too!. I have mine wired and I have NO issues with airplay. You most likely have your networks separated by a router. Does the home plug have a built in router?

Homeplug may be the issue. It does not have a router than i am aware of, as it's base unit plugs into the existing router but perhaps it is doing some sort of bridge that Airplay does not like.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Airplay doesn't care what transport medium u use as long as it has the bandwidth required. Yup, sound more like bad wirings to me.

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I have mine connected via ethernet and it will airplay fine over 5Ghz but is flakey over 2.4Ghz.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I think it's more of a bandwidth thing than an Apple thing.

Frequency isn't related to bandwidth. I believe the 2.4ghz spectrum is more crowded and apple products tend to get sensitive when things aren't perfectly in spec.

Thats why my WD wireless streaming box had no issues streaming the exact same content over 2.4ghz but my apple TV had all kinds of issues. Thats how the apple TV ended up hardwired.

I actually didn't get my wireless issues resolved until I bought an apple brand 5ghz router. I tried 6 wifi products before the apple one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.