Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 3, 2011, 01:52 AM   #176
Sam The Slayer
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Carson City, NV
iPhone doesn't get defended because it's so much better than android, it doesn't need to be(coning from an ex-android user). Android is like the unsophisticated smart phone. Thus no one fights for iPhone because there is no argument. iPhone is better, plain and simple.
Sam The Slayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 02:13 AM   #177
tigress666
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington State
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKyu View Post
I'd like a bigger screen, but without physically making the phone any larger.

Seems they might be headed that direction if rumors come true about them getting rid of the home button and making it gesture-only (also avoids the problem of the home button getting worn out.) Maybe we could get a bit extra screen real estate that way...
Gah, no, I really don't want a gesture only thing for the phone. I'm sorry, but that is just a really bad idea.

First of all, gestures on a phone, way too small a space.

Secondly, it makes it very hard to use the phone one with just one hand (like for example when I have a dog on a leash and need to look something up, I do not have two hands free. Or even when reading something on the phone and eating. Pretty much kills being able to multitask while using the phone).

Now, I wouldn't object to a seperate "button" that was capacitive instead of a physical button, but I still want it to be something that one can just feel for and one doesn't need to make a gesture for but just tap with a thumb/forefinger.

And I personally like that they keep the phone symmetrical even in landscape position (makes it easier to use as a gaming device and just looks better when watching stuff on it) so I would want the top bezel to be as thick as the bottom. Since it is a device designed to look at, looks are actually important (and not looking weird).

Anyways, I think the current screen is fine for a compromise between size of phone and size of screen. If they can some how finagle it to have a bigger screen without making the phone longer or wider (a little bit thicker won't annoy me though) I'd be fine with that. Otherwise it's not worth the compromise at all to me.
__________________
2010 Macbook Pro, 2007 Macbook, gutted out Gateway (still a PC, only case is original) that needs an OS installed on it, 400 MHz G4, non working Macintosh Performa (I really should chuck that one).
tigress666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 02:29 AM   #178
ChazUK
macrumors 603
 
ChazUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex (UK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam The Slayer View Post
iPhone doesn't get defended because it's so much better than android, it doesn't need to be(coning from an ex-android user). Android is like the unsophisticated smart phone. Thus no one fights for iPhone because there is no argument. iPhone is better, plain and simple.
In that line of thinking, if it is that much better, why is there a need to bash competing products (this does not just apply to Android but Windows, Linux, Symbian Meego e.t.c)?

If you think the iPhone does not get defended, have a read of this very thread, plenty of defense going on.
__________________
Windows 8 Desktop | HP Chromebook 11 | Moto G GPE | LG G Watch | iPhone 4s | iPad Mini Retina | Asus MemoPad ME176C
ChazUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 03:12 AM   #179
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040
 
bandofbrothers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uk
Hi,


I nearly got the pop corn out for this thread !

Lots of pissing contests going on here !


The way I look at it is,

if the device, gadget or handset provides me with what I need to get out of the device, then i'll buy it.

I always do lots of homework before buying into my fones.

Brands will and always will be a factor wether your buying a pair of jeans or an electrical gadget ! Consumer confidence.

I used Nokia products for over 20 years, because the items I was interested in fulfilled my needs and wants.

Their newest fones dont and after buying two Nokia smartfone handsets that fell below my own expectations, I looked at others as well as apple.

The iphone4 ticked all my wants and needs basket !

When a friend or colleague asks what fone I have and I say an iphone 4, then if I get a derogatory reply about apple/iphone products, then my simple reply is thats your opinion, fine !

I feel no need to defend apple to anyone.

Normally after comparing the specs with theirs and what my device can do compared to their own handset, thats enough to silence them anyway !!

One said well the app's are all for kids and useless.

As an example I showed him the simple Sky+ app.
They said oh yes you can see the sky tv listings, thats ok.

I then showed how I can then set a programme to record from the app.

Reply was....... WoW, awesome.

Enough said !

Its plain and simple choice !
__________________
MacBook Air 11 Core i5 1.6GHz 4GB 128GB 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5.

iPhone 5s 16GB Space Grey - iOS 7.1.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 7.1.2
bandofbrothers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 02:27 PM   #180
DiamondMac
macrumors 68040
 
DiamondMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington, D.C.
Why does it matter?

I mean, I come here for the talk & discussion and to me the most annoying ones are those who can't admit any fault or issues.

If Android has something better, tell me about it
__________________
32gb iPhone 4s
64GB iPad 2
15-inch, 500GB, 2.0GHz quad-core, Intel Core i7
21.5-inch, 500GB, 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
DiamondMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 07:01 PM   #181
al1cre
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMac View Post
Why does it matter?

I mean, I come here for the talk & discussion and to me the most annoying ones are those who can't admit any fault or issues.

If Android has something better, tell me about it
Well, I miss the way Android rejects phone calls: two visual buttons on the lock screen. Slide one to the right unlocks the phone (just like the iOS). Slide the other to the left during an incoming call rejects the call.

If there's not an incoming call and you slide the button to the left, it turns on/off silent mode. The lock screen always shows if you were in silent mode.

Rejecting a call was the only thing I had to look in the user's guide to figure out how to do. That's one of the few really sloppy things in the iPhone UI.
al1cre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 07:18 PM   #182
840quadra
Moderator
 
840quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Land of Free outdoor Freezers
Why don't I actively defend the iPhone??

I personally don't expect anyone else to use a phone for the exact same reasons I do, nor do I project my opinion on what I think is best on anyone else. For me this is true for both Macs, and Cellular phones.

Like myself, many other legacy Mac users (who also have and support iPhones) tend to be non confrontational when it comes to topics like that. Mostly because we are used to being in the minority, and people not understanding our wants and needs.

Choice is great, I choose to use both a Mac, and an iPhone, because it fits me.
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:21 AM   #183
thegman1234
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by 840quadra View Post
I personally don't expect anyone else to use a phone for the exact same reasons I do, nor do I project my opinion on what I think is best on anyone else. For me this is true for both Macs, and Cellular phones.

Like myself, many other legacy Mac users (who also have and support iPhones) tend to be non confrontational when it comes to topics like that. Mostly because we are used to being in the minority, and people not understanding our wants and needs.

Choice is great, I choose to use both a Mac, and an iPhone, because it fits me.
Often times, I find myself in the middle of the argument between user experience and functionality. One that, for good reason, cannot be won. This is why I generally try to stay away from the argument altogether. It's a pointless argument that is entirely based on the opinion of the user.

However, what I generally find (at least in my personal experience) is that most android users aren't willing accept the fact that someone could possibly like a less functional device better because they like the user experience better.

It tends to round about with the closed minded ideology that one device cannot possibly be better for someone or deliver a better experience with less functionality through the hardware or software. Which is something that has long kept Apple users in that minority that you mentioned and is reminiscent of why many PC users hate Macs.

That sort of, "but it doesn't play games," mentality that is not only ignorant, but inconsequential to the user. If I wanna play games, I'll turn on my gaming console. If I wanna play PC, games I'll buy a PC. If I want that sort of functionality, I'll buy the device that offers it. If I haven't bought that device then I obviously don't need, nor want badly enough, that functionality.
__________________
G5 Quad 10.4.11 w/ 23in. ACD, 2.4 C2D 2nd Gen MBP 10.6.8, 80gb 5G iPod Video, 16gb iPhone 4, 16gb iPad, Performa 575 with OS7.
Long live the PPC!
thegman1234 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 02:18 AM   #184
Burne Jones
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Because half the posts that trash Android are by people who have no idea what they are talking about. The posts are completely wrong and inaccurate.

We're not defending Android, we're just simply saying that you're wrong.
Yeah I am confused by privously posts here, the meaning of the asker was that we don't need to so defend android issues here and wonder the reasons of that!

I am new here and I think I will gradually enter into the atmosphere of this forum.
Burne Jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:39 AM   #185
mooseolly
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp700p View Post
Again.. now i'm being called a troll just because I am trying to see why theirs so much defending of Android products on an iPhone forum.

I take no offense to the comment at all, just further proves my point.

Why should iPhone fans be forced to defend Android? Why be fake about it? Android simply can not compete with the iPhone. I find more Android users going back to iPhone then iPhone users going back to Android.
"Android simply can not compete with the iPhone"

You are a bias guy, opinions from a bias guy is bound to get some disagreements. This is common sense. Not everyone can agree on the same thing. Subjectivity at it's best.
mooseolly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:35 AM   #186
lke
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Maybe because of that they protect Android like it is the best because they don't accept they don't have the money for an iphone.


About android i think it is very insecure full of malware, virus and spyware, it is exactly like windows vs mac os x.
lke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:10 AM   #187
aznboi91
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Thumbs up

People defend themselves because they are not sure of the unknown. They use what they know to fight back.

aznboi91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:20 PM   #188
MVRL
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam The Slayer View Post
iPhone doesn't get defended because it's so much better than android, it doesn't need to be(coning from an ex-android user). Android is like the unsophisticated smart phone. Thus no one fights for iPhone because there is no argument. iPhone is better, plain and simple.
I wouldn't say that. I have used both Android phones and iPhones. In fact, I have a 5 right now. I would say that they each have their own strengths and weaknesses, there's nothing to argue about.

At the end of the day, it's up to personal choice. Bashing or siding with one is simply retarded. You are the consumer, you choose whatever fits your needs best, and it's not like you can only have one or the other. Only retards side with one and bash the other.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Maybe because of that they protect Android like it is the best because they don't accept they don't have the money for an iphone.


About android i think it is very insecure full of malware, virus and spyware, it is exactly like windows vs mac os x.
Ignorance isn't a bliss in your case. I have a 5 right now, and I enjoy using my Android phones just as much as I enjoy using the 5 now. There's nothing wrong with choosing a phone that fits your taste/needs.

And you think wrong, christ, I don't even think you know how to think at all. It is nothing like windows vs mac os x if you actually know what you are talking about. They are both Unix based OSs and they are both prone to malwares..etc. It's up to the attacker to target who.

Siding with one and mindlessly bashing the other is simply retarded. It's like bashing people out at the bakery for choosing a bagel over a cake or bashing people for drinking coke instead of pepsi.

And that comment about ppl not being able to afford iphones? What a joke..

Last edited by OllyW; Nov 27, 2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: name calling
MVRL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:23 PM   #189
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Maybe because of that they protect Android like it is the best because they don't accept they don't have the money for an iphone.


About android i think it is very insecure full of malware, virus and spyware, it is exactly like windows vs mac os x.
My Note 2 cost me $80 more than the iPhone5.

Find me examples of people complaining because of malware on Android.

Here is one for the iPhone:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1381277
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:36 PM   #190
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
lets burn whomever brought this thread back to life
BFizzzle is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:41 PM   #191
SlasherDuff
macrumors 6502a
 
SlasherDuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gator Country
Well, I love my iPhone 4S, and can't detach myself from using it.

That said I have nothing against Andriod and it's users, though I admit I am afraid to own anything Android. It's an entirely whole new ecosystem for me and I am so used to the simplicity of iOS.

So i stick to what works for me
__________________
Gold/White 64gb iPhone 5s, late 2013 rMacBook Pro Haswell 15", 128gb iPad Air, with product RED smart case
SlasherDuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:48 PM   #192
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlasherDuff View Post
Well, I love my iPhone 4S, and can't detach myself from using it.

That said I have nothing against Andriod and it's users, though I admit I am afraid to own anything Android. It's an entirely whole new ecosystem for me and I am so used to the simplicity of iOS.

So i stick to what works for me
Which is a perfectly valid reason. Unlike some people that shoot out gibberish of reasons why they do not want to try an Android phone.
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:58 PM   #193
Cebuano1976
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona
Apple marketing works for me. iPhone works better for me. Prefer iOs million times more than Android.
Cebuano1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:00 PM   #194
iceterminal
macrumors 68000
 
iceterminal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas Tx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseolly View Post
"Android simply can not compete with the iPhone"

You are a bias guy, opinions from a bias guy is bound to get some disagreements. This is common sense. Not everyone can agree on the same thing. Subjectivity at it's best.
Bringing up a year and a half old thread really makes your point valid.

Especially since the argument has been dormant for over a year.
__________________
The amount of material possessions one owns should not qualify them as a successful or just person.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:41 PM   #195
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Different strokes for different folks, I'm not an android guy, the layout is kind of time-consuming for me. I'd rather own an iPhone since most of my friends have it and the apps are better, which is a point that cannot be argued.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:18 PM   #196
Nale72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Maybe because of that they protect Android like it is the best because they don't accept they don't have the money for an iphone.


About android i think it is very insecure full of malware, virus and spyware, it is exactly like windows vs mac os x.
"full of malware, virus and spyware"?

I think many will stand up for Android because of posts like this, when people try to convince others of stuff that aren't true.

I have myself had three Android devices (been an Android User since 2010) and I have family and many friends with Android devices. I have myself personally not seen or heard of any Android device that have had problems with malware, virus or spyware.

Since a month back however i am a iPhone 5 user. I miss some things from my Xperia Ray and am somewhat disappointed by the iP5 build quality (have gotten a flaked shamfer even though I've treated it like a baby and used a silicone cover/bumper since day 1), maps (that will be improving) and I miss my quick settings widgets. But I can have more apps installed on it (limited memory for apps was a bit drawback with the Ray for me) and like it's better smoothness. I'm still learning stuff and think the iP5 is a better fit for me than the Ray in the long run.

I don't think iOS or Android is best for everyone, it's a matter of personal preferences and what you use your phone for. I can't take someone that categorically says iOS is best or that Android is best for anyone serious and I suggest nobody else does that.
Nale72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:21 PM   #197
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Different strokes for different folks, I'm not an android guy, the layout is kind of time-consuming for me. I'd rather own an iPhone since most of my friends have it and the apps are better, which is a point that cannot be argued.
LOL anything can be argued. I for one agree that the Apps available on iOS are better however, you can argue that Android is better.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:43 PM   #198
IFRIT
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Maybe because of that they protect Android like it is the best because they don't accept they don't have the money for an iphone.


About android i think it is very insecure full of malware, virus and spyware, it is exactly like windows vs mac os x.
Post full of fail sorry.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
LOL anything can be argued. I for one agree that the Apps available on iOS are better however, you can argue that Android is better.
The iPhone has more top quality apps, android has plenty though.
IFRIT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:34 PM   #199
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
It seems that many Android owners have an inferiority complex when it comes to the iPhone. Always trying to prove that whatever device they're using is better than the iPhone or how much smarter they think they are than iphome users. Seems like most people I encounter with iPhones simply don't care/ignore other phones and OS.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:39 PM   #200
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Wow..
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nevada Rancher, people defend him? G51989 Politics, Religion, Social Issues 718 Jun 18, 2014 04:30 AM
Note 2 and Other Android users who moved to iPhone hbksabhi Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 38 Oct 7, 2013 03:23 AM
People selling iphone for android phones! DB14ify Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 33 Jun 19, 2013 01:37 PM
Why do Fandroids defend Android tooth and nail? xcodeaddict Wasteland 1 Mar 11, 2013 10:14 PM
Moved to Android, iPhone still receives iMessages RossMacca Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 3 Jul 31, 2012 12:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC