Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:36 AM   #1
statesmire
macrumors newbie

Virus on my Mac

Long story short, using Firefox I am having a lot of ads pop-up from the infamous Windows Virus "Adserverplus". Obviously it's not just for Windows but now I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

My nephew used my computer for a week and now I'm having this issue... I know better not to download suspicious programs.

Anyone ever come across this? Can't find anything on Google for the removal on mac, only PC.
statesmire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

I doubt you have been infected, but download and run ClamAV from the Mac app store....It's free and will tell you if you have an issue. Viruses do not infect Macs as a rule, but Malware can be an issue in a small number of cases.:

http://www.clamxav.com
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:56 AM   #3
simsaladimbamba

It is probably just a pop up, not a virus or any kind of malware.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:
Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:46 PM   #4
statesmire
macrumors newbie

I appreciate the response.. I just downloaded ClamXav and it's a bit cumbersome, as I am not sure where to search.

I agree, I doubt it is a virus, but it definitely is adware/malware because even if I go to ebay/google/gmail, whatever it will consistently throw advertisements in a pop-up. I understand, I could probably Block it, however I would much rather remove it.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:41 PM   #5
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Ad blocker?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6uWbX64oiWB-qQ
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Fank
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statesmire View Post
I appreciate the response.. I just downloaded ClamXav and it's a bit cumbersome, as I am not sure where to search.

I agree, I doubt it is a virus, but it definitely is adware/malware because even if I go to ebay/google/gmail, whatever it will consistently throw advertisements in a pop-up. I understand, I could probably Block it, however I would much rather remove it.
I assume you got rid of all cookies; that alone can cause the pop ups
Fank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:15 PM   #7
statesmire
macrumors newbie

Did a scan and nothing came up, also got rid of all my cookies. Got two pop-ups as I browsed to this page... Grr... Wonder if I should just reinstall Firefox and cross my fingers?

Thanks for the help thus far, really appreciate it... I think I am the first person to ever somewhat break a mac. LOL
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Dekard
macrumors 6502

are you running any addons for firefox?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:14 PM   #9
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Got two pop-ups as I browsed to this page... Grr... Wonder if I should just reinstall Firefox and cross my fingers?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...93&postcount=5
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:38 PM   #10
MadTester
macrumors regular

Quote:

Run ClamXav against your mail client.... use AdBlock/DoNotTrack + on your browser.... it might be abit cumbersome but it will be worth it if you run a full scan.....

If all else fails then remove firefox (use CleanMyMac or something similar to get rid of any Firefox left overs) and do a reinstall.

HTH

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help