Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
3rd gen :)

HT1353_29.jpg

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I'm pretty sure I had a 4GB 2nd Gen iPod Mini. I don't remember. If that wasn't my first one, then the iPod Nano 4th Gen was my first one which I got while I was in Iraq.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
My first iPod was (and still is!) my beloved precious... the "Fatty" (iPod Nano 3G, I believe it was 2007 release).

Yeah it's fat. Yeah it's thick. Yeah it looks like Cartman. So what!? It was sturdy and well-built, not flimsy and anorexic like later models. It was the first nano that played videos as well as games. In 5 years, it never broke, it never showed any defects. Not once did I have to get it repaired for anything.

I still have it, but it is just now being replaced by my newly-arrived iPod Touch 5G. I'm not sure what to do as far as retiring the Fatty. Just keep it for sentimental reasons? Or possibly give it to my dad (semi-retired low-tech dude who will dig the click-wheel rather than the touch-screen devices).

Oh fatty, I will miss ya.... :(

shulerg

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
Green iPod mini (2004). Got it free with a new PowerBook. Still have it, it still works, still has the playlists from the last time I synced it in 2005.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
5gb 1st gen iPod with FireWire, unfortunately I plugged it into a PC and it popped :( I bought it from apple before they had stores, with my brand new ti PowerBook 667mhz .... Those were the days !!

tejagamer

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
160GB 6th Gen iPod Classic
Still using it, been an awesome year! :)
I also use my Sansa Clip+ Besides this, both are just awesome. I love my clip for size, and iPod for storage!

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
the iPod started it for me..

The 1. generation iPod touch from 2008. This iPod which I still use till today started me on Apple. It's somehow my favourite product so far, that accompanied me through some very interesting, but tough times in live. It is the best MP3 player by far.

mfisher3

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Ipod Classic 7th Generation Song Limit

Hello everybody,

This is my first post. Please bear with me as I try to navigate this forum.

I purchased an iPod Classic earlier this year

The literature claims this model has a 30,000 song limit

If the average song is four minutes long, my iPod classic should hold up to 120,000 minutes (30K songs times 4 minutes per song equals 120k minutes).

I understand file sizes differ by type (i.e. wav, AAC, etc.) but I want to keep this as simple as possible for discussion.

My library currently has 88,000 minutes worth of audio files of which there are maybe four different file types.

Unfortunately, my iPod can not handle this many minutes.

In iTunes, I unselected 22,000 minutes worth of songs leaving me 66,000 minutes ready to load on my iPod Classic

So here is my question:

Does anyone know how many minutes on average the iPod Classic can hold?

Last edited:

Alex225

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
6th Gen 16gb Nano for me.

I was never massively into digital music, still buy CDs as it is now and rip them. Only got into MP3s when I bought a CD player in the car that was MP3 capable and that was in 2004.

Eventually started commuting by train in 2005 and opted for a Sony 1gb MP3 player. Was great with 50 hour battery life but eventually the Nano 6 caught my eye as small, slick and great quality.

I wouldn't look back now though and will be going for a 7th Gen Nano for Christmas this year. :)

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
iPod touch

My first iPod was an iPod touch second gen...also my first apple product. Bought it in 2008! On black friday, in a Costco...memories ;). I still have it, although the back feels like anodized aluminum now from the scratches (was chrome glossy), the battery barely holds a charge for longer than 30 minutes and there's a couple dead pixels I got while trying to open it...Also the volume and power buttons don't work anymore.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Mine was also a 30gb 5.5gen video.

The hard drive died after a couple years (probably as a result of me going running with it) and it sat on my shelf until last year. I bought the replacement drive last year and repaired it. Soon after it died I had the 4th gen Nano in silver, and sold that after I got my iPhone 2g.

Just as a side note, can you fit a bigger sized hard-drive into a 30GB 5.5 video body?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Black iPod video in '05.

Still works the same as the day I bought it though now it only gets used when we go river tubing. In a water-proof case and a floating ice chest stereo:D

Ha, and like others I got it before one of my last trips over to the sandbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.