Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Adobe Adds Stylus Support to Photoshop Touch for iPad




Adobe has updated Photoshop Touch for the iPad, adding pressure-sensitive stylus support as well as a slight redesign for the iPad mini. The app also has new support for sharing to social sites and a few other miscellaneous things.

Quote:
Pressure-sensitive stylus support for iPad

We added support for three of the most popular pressure-sensitive styli in this version of Photoshop Touch: the Pogo Connect, Jot Touch and JaJa Stylus. Using the special capabilities of these devices, users can draw, paint and retouch their work in Photoshop Touch with a more natural look and feel. At this time, these styli support iOS only. We've also improved our brushing engine to make smoother strokes with or without a special stylus.
Adobe Photoshop Touch is available on the App Store for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Adobe Adds Stylus Support to Photoshop Touch for iPad
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Moonlight
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Los Angeles
This is not on the front page, but Will.i.am's piece 'O crap is??
__________________
1984 Macintosh 128k, PowerMac 7100/80av, Ruby iMac, iMac G5, Mac Mini, Newton 2100, iPod 5gb, iPod Nano 2gb, iPod nano 8gb, iPhone 2G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 1, iPad mini, AppleTV.
Moonlight is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:37 PM   #3
hNicolas
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Very nice Adobe. Much needed update for doing finer touch-ups.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB - iPhone 4S 32GB - 24" iMac 2.8 GHz - iPad LTE 32GB - iPhone 3GS - iPhone 3G - iPod Touch - Mac Mini 09
hNicolas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:38 PM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G5
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
This is not on the front page, but Will.i.am's piece 'O crap is??
To be fair, while this update is neat, and some professionals will appreciate it (a costly Wacom Cintiq just got less tempting!)... it’s not really something that changes my life.

The Will.i.am contraption, on the other hand, has made me decide to dig a deep hole and crawl to the bottom of it.
nagromme is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I was about to say, stylus support?! But now I've read it's the pressure sensitivity, I get it. I personally didn't even realize it didn't have it to begin with.

Nice addition though! Adobe and Autodesk are doing amazingly well with their tablet apps, especially for their stuff being so complicated and robust.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:52 PM   #6
HMI
macrumors 6502a
 
HMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
To be fair, while this update is neat, and some professionals will appreciate it (a costly Wacom Cintiq just got less tempting!)... it’s not really something that changes my life.

The Will.i.am contraption, on the other hand, has made me decide to dig a deep hole and crawl to the bottom of it.
I don't blame you. Walking around with that ugly bling contraption is like asking to be shot at. You're wise to duck and run.


I'd really like to give those iPad styli a test run to see how well they work.
Anyone tried the photoshop touch yet?
HMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Nicky G
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Baltimore & NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
To be fair, while this update is neat, and some professionals will appreciate it (a costly Wacom Cintiq just got less tempting!)... itís not really something that changes my life.

The Will.i.am contraption, on the other hand, has made me decide to dig a deep hole and crawl to the bottom of it.
For many, many years I've enjoyed your comments on this site -- and this one may be the best yet.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2.6GHz i7 Ivy Bridge 16GB 512GB
iPhone 5s 64GB Gold AT&T
iPad Air 128GB Space Gray AT&T
iPod nano 7th Generation Black
Nicky G is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:33 PM   #8
pubwvj
macrumors 68000
 
pubwvj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mountains of Vermont
What I would like next is that the iOS app interfaces with the Mac Applications of Photoshop and Illustrator so that I can use the iPad/iPodt as a drawing tablet with my Mac. Frankly the iOS is a crippled operating system since it doesn't let me work my way with my data. Instead of being data centric (what matters) it is instead App centric which is insane. My data is my work. The Apps are just tools. By making the iOS App centric Apple gets in my way of doing real work and makes the iOS devices into games and toys when they could be so much more.
__________________
-Walter Jeffries
Sugar Mountain Farm
Pastured Pigs, Chickens & Kids in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:26 PM   #9
luigi408
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Anyone tried those styluses yet?
luigi408 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:36 PM   #10
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubwvj View Post
Frankly the iOS is a crippled operating system since it doesn't let me work my way with my data. Instead of being data centric (what matters) it is instead App centric which is insane. My data is my work. The Apps are just tools. By making the iOS App centric Apple gets in my way of doing real work and makes the iOS devices into games and toys when they could be so much more.
purely a matter of your opinion. most ipad users are not power users and thus dont care about the things youve said. my dad included. thats who "computing for the rest of us" is geared to.

sometimes you need a truck. and for that you should get a truck.
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:45 PM   #11
m00min
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubwvj View Post
What I would like next is that the iOS app interfaces with the Mac Applications of Photoshop and Illustrator so that I can use the iPad/iPodt as a drawing tablet with my Mac. Frankly the iOS is a crippled operating system since it doesn't let me work my way with my data. Instead of being data centric (what matters) it is instead App centric which is insane. My data is my work. The Apps are just tools. By making the iOS App centric Apple gets in my way of doing real work and makes the iOS devices into games and toys when they could be so much more.
Yep. The biggest thing missing from the iPad is a unified file system. It's crazy that every app developer has to use the Dropbox API for example to sync data, there's already a Dropbox app, let everyone hook into it. Devs having to constantly reinvent the wheel is taking them away from adding extra features to their apps.

That "Open in" crap is such a half-arsed measure to try and combat this glaring omission.
__________________
Obligatory dick waving: 2012 i7/8GB/256SSD MBA; 2010 i7/8GB/256SSD MBP; 2006 Mac Mini; iPhone 4S; iPad 3
m00min is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:26 PM   #12
tech4all
macrumors 68040
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
purely a matter of your opinion. most ipad users are not power users and thus dont care about the things youve said. my dad included. thats who "computing for the rest of us" is geared to.

sometimes you need a truck. and for that you should get a truck.
Source?

I'm sure there are plenty of power users who use an iPad and really iOS limits you.
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:45 PM   #13
bsbeamer
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I'd love to be able to do real Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects work with my iPad. Second screen style software doesn't cut it. Real support, or a way to make it into a Wacom style input device would be ideal, but doubt it's coming anytime soon...
bsbeamer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:36 PM   #14
HMI
macrumors 6502a
 
HMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00min View Post
Yep. The biggest thing missing from the iPad is a unified file system. It's crazy that every app developer has to use the Dropbox API for example to sync data, there's already a Dropbox app, let everyone hook into it. Devs having to constantly reinvent the wheel is taking them away from adding extra features to their apps.

That "Open in" crap is such a half-arsed measure to try and combat this glaring omission.
Here's a question related to iCloud / Dropbox:
There's a Universal App for iOS called "iA Writer" that is a basic note taking app that claims to have iCloud auto-sync. A basic test seems to work really well and rather simply/effortlessly.

How does (do you think) this app manage to sync with all your iOS devices via iCloud (at least according to their claims)?

I've spoken with a couple other note app developers, and they keep saying that they are "looking into it" or "have plans to include it in future updates", but never do.

Either iA Writer found a good way of adding iCloud auto-sync support and the other developers are smoking something, or there is a reason nobody can do this yet, and iA Writer is lying (and using some other method). Which is it?
HMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:59 PM   #15
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020
 
APlotdevice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMI View Post
Here's a question related to iCloud / Dropbox:
There's a Universal App for iOS called "iA Writer" that is a basic note taking app that claims to have iCloud auto-sync. A basic test seems to work really well and rather simply/effortlessly.

How does (do you think) this app manage to sync with all your iOS devices via iCloud (at least according to their claims)?

I've spoken with a couple other note app developers, and they keep saying that they are "looking into it" or "have plans to include it in future updates", but never do.

Either iA Writer found a good way of adding iCloud auto-sync support and the other developers are smoking something, or there is a reason nobody can do this yet, and iA Writer is lying (and using some other method). Which is it?
iCloud lets you sync data with the same app on different Apple devices. If you want to access that data in another app and/or on non-apple device then it is useless. Hence the continued preference towards Dropbox.
__________________
There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than by entrails.
Pebble SmartWatch | iPhone 5c | 11" Macbook Air '13 | HTPC | TV | Numerous Old Consoles
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:54 AM   #16
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
To be fair, while this update is neat, and some professionals will appreciate it (a costly Wacom Cintiq just got less tempting!)... itís not really something that changes my life.

The Will.i.am contraption, on the other hand, has made me decide to dig a deep hole and crawl to the bottom of it.
They aren't really the same thing. The ipad version is quite limited in what it can handle, and you have nowhere near the same amount of drawing space. I don't see the two as being really comparable. What I like about the idea of drawing on an ipad is that getting away from the desk feels a little less restrictive when it comes to rough concepting. With something like that, the resolution limits wouldn't bother me so much. Otherwise there's no way I'm pushing 10k files through photoshop touch, and the ipad wouldn't support other software I'd need anyway. I avoided the cintiq due to the combination of price and quality control complaints. I've noticed Wacom go downhill on a hardware level over the past few years, so I really don't want to see how their most expensive options hold up. It's not like I never upgrade. I just have to stagger things at times, so having a $2500 item break at the wrong time would be annoying.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:41 AM   #17
m00min
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMI View Post
Here's a question related to iCloud / Dropbox:
There's a Universal App for iOS called "iA Writer" that is a basic note taking app that claims to have iCloud auto-sync. A basic test seems to work really well and rather simply/effortlessly.

How does (do you think) this app manage to sync with all your iOS devices via iCloud (at least according to their claims)?

I've spoken with a couple other note app developers, and they keep saying that they are "looking into it" or "have plans to include it in future updates", but never do.

Either iA Writer found a good way of adding iCloud auto-sync support and the other developers are smoking something, or there is a reason nobody can do this yet, and iA Writer is lying (and using some other method). Which is it?
There are note apps that work the same way that use Dropbox rather than iCloud. The problem is if you want to edit a note in Notesy and then maybe in Textastic each app has to sync a copy of that file. Whether you use iCloud or Dropbox or Google Docs you will end up trying to maintain separate local copies of a document rather than one copy that all apps have access too. Painful for the user and wasteful on disk space.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
iCloud lets you sync data with the same app on different Apple devices. If you want to access that data in another app and/or on non-apple device then it is useless. Hence the continued preference towards Dropbox.
Also Apple don't have a great track record for online services. I'm extremely hesitant to move across to iCloud for that reason.
__________________
Obligatory dick waving: 2012 i7/8GB/256SSD MBA; 2010 i7/8GB/256SSD MBP; 2006 Mac Mini; iPhone 4S; iPad 3
m00min is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:14 AM   #18
coldmack
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
So their iPad version gets pressure support, while the Galaxy 10.1 Note(wacom), and Thinkpad Tablet(N-Trig) don't have it? Adobe does know Wacom and N-Trig are 1 and 2 in this space, and not offering it leave the void open for another developer to try to capitalize from it. I have a few drawing and note taking apps that full utilize the digital pen on my Thinkpad and it is really nice, something my first gen iPad was sorely missing.
__________________
2x G4 Mac Mini, 12in Powerbook, G4 Cube w/ Geforce MX2, and Power Mac dual G5. x86 and Wind'ohs free & most proud of it.
coldmack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:51 AM   #19
patent10021
macrumors 68000
 
patent10021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Japan
Recently bought a Bamboo. I'm lovin' it. App is a good second though.

Nothing like a Wacom on a 27"
patent10021 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:22 AM   #20
danahn17
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmack View Post
So their iPad version gets pressure support, while the Galaxy 10.1 Note(wacom), and Thinkpad Tablet(N-Trig) don't have it? Adobe does know Wacom and N-Trig are 1 and 2 in this space, and not offering it leave the void open for another developer to try to capitalize from it. I have a few drawing and note taking apps that full utilize the digital pen on my Thinkpad and it is really nice, something my first gen iPad was sorely missing.
I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 (should I duck and hide?) and I can tell you it comes bundled with PS Touch and that the PS Touch already has pressure sensitivity support. Plus it's more accurate with the built in digitizer.

I do wish though that they could offer an option (I'd gladly pay more for it too) that would allow the tablet (iPad or Android) to hook up with a computer Photoshop (wirelessly or via USB) and effectively turn the tablet into a mini Cintiq or even an Intuos/Bamboo.

But I don't think they'd do that since that would just cannibalize the tablets Wacom and others make. I read some stuff about people who looked into accessing the Wacom Digitizer on the Note to essentially turn the Note into a graphic tablet... but it appears there's a lot of technological hinderances (if you're really interested in why, read from post #14 here). That being said, the last post on that thread links to an app that seems to do just that on a different tablet... so the potential/promise is there to bring the feature to iPad or other tablets.

Last edited by danahn17; Nov 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
danahn17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:48 PM   #21
Moonlight
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Los Angeles
This is what I want! Make this Wacom!

__________________
1984 Macintosh 128k, PowerMac 7100/80av, Ruby iMac, iMac G5, Mac Mini, Newton 2100, iPod 5gb, iPod Nano 2gb, iPod nano 8gb, iPhone 2G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 1, iPad mini, AppleTV.

Last edited by Moonlight; Nov 29, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Moonlight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:09 AM   #22
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020
 
APlotdevice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
This is what I want! Make this Wacom!

Image
I don't think the electromagnetic signal would make it all the way through the iPad and back.
__________________
There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than by entrails.
Pebble SmartWatch | iPhone 5c | 11" Macbook Air '13 | HTPC | TV | Numerous Old Consoles
APlotdevice is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adobe Creative Cloud Adds 3D Printing in Photoshop, Enhancements for Other Apps MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 45 Jan 24, 2014 10:15 PM
Adobe Unveils iPad-Compatible Smart Stylus and Digital Ruler MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 35 May 7, 2013 01:35 PM
'Paper' Introduces New Color Mixing Feature and Support for Touch-Sensitive Stylus MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 18 Mar 20, 2013 09:38 PM
Adobe Updates Photoshop Lightroom With Retina Support MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 14 Dec 15, 2012 02:52 AM
Adobe Updates Photoshop and Illustrator CS6 with Retina Display Support MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 88 Dec 14, 2012 10:21 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC