Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLondoner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Just got off the phone with a nice American lady in Apple (despite calling the UK number).

I understand the new iMacs are available to order on Friday, does this include the 27" models?

Yes you can order the 27" on Friday "but deliveries will be in December"

I plan to order a custom config (i.e. a Fusion Drive), will this push me back in the queue?

Maybe by between one and three days. I've never seen a BTO delay over a standard of more than three days.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Crucial know the specs of the RAM for the 2012 :apple: iMacs and they guarantee it will be the correct type. Crucial lists the 2012 iMacs and you choose the RAM configuration you want. I already have the Ram siting here ready to fit. :cool:

That's cool, £107.98 for 32GB of ram isn't bad is it (assuming you have to buy the fully 32gb and throw out the 8gb that already come installed?)

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
How can you be sure which Ram to get from Crucial when the iMac hasn't been released yet?

Well that's seems to be the typical price for about 32gb of ram, I would still wait until it's officially released but it should work (they only have a 16gb kit on their site atm though).

That's cool, £107.98 for 32GB of ram isn't bad is it (assuming you have to buy the fully 32gb and throw out the 8gb that already come installed?)

That's what I'd do, personally.

iLondoner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I popped into White City (Westfield) store today to ask about tomorrow's iMac launch.

One would expect that deliveries had arrived Wednesday or today, but front-of-store personnel were not terribly informed—I suppose their job is to be focussed on today's products and they will be briefed tomorrow morning on the new iMacs. In the back of store no doubt there's unpacking going on of demo machines.

Yes the 21-in models will be available, not just the two base and higher-end models but also they also expect some with Fusion Drive. The people I spoke to had no idea what stock levels of each they would be holding.

Store opens at 10am, Westfield opens around 9am, so I suppose there will be some brave souls queueing outside with noses pressed to the window.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
So you have to buy 32gb of new RAM if you want 32, you can't just add 24gb to the existing 8gb?

The current 8gb is 2x4gb sticks and to get 32gb you'd need 4x8gb sticks! As there are 4 slots you'd have to replace the Apple ram with your own.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Store opens at 10am, Westfield opens around 9am, so I suppose there will be some brave souls queueing outside with noses pressed to the window.

I would be, but I'm ordering online this time.

Turns out you can't get the Higher Education discount in store. Only Further Education.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.