You guys killed the wallpaper threads - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:35 PM   #26
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggger View Post
no they are not in just one thread for the most part, the wallpaper requests in case you haven't noticed are in separate threads...

it's just not as convenient having to open numerous threads looking for requests to do for people.
The most active thread in the forum is http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1479420

The other active threads wood, keep calm and badges would already have been separate under the old system, they just would have been much harder to find mixed in with all the other discussion. Sports is a new one, but one not everyone is interested in.

I'm just not seeing what you are reporting.

B
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:17 PM   #27
Blaine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post

If you don't enjoy the current setup you're free to use other wallpaper sites of course.
Gee thanks, SilentPanda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post

There are a fair amount of people that support the current setup also, as they requested it.
LOL! So a thread with 18 posts is definitely the "voice" of macrumors, and gives you permission to **** the place?

Sounds to me like the mods wanted this to happen, and used their power to do so accordingly.

Also, the mods seem so optimistic about this change. I haven't seen a single one openly criticize it.

Makes you wonder...
Blaine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:18 PM   #28
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

Pimp your screen is the way to ho
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:20 PM   #29
Blaine
macrumors 6502a

Btw, we're almost @ 30 replies. We're the majority now.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp41 View Post
what use to be two threads that we could have book marked and checked in on to see what was new of contribute to has now been turned into a section of chaos. Most things the mods do are better for the site but this has got to one of the worst. We don't need a category for every image. The old thread was much much better.
+ 1000
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:54 PM   #30
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
Gee thanks, SilentPanda!

LOL! So a thread with 18 posts is definitely the "voice" of macrumors, and gives you permission to **** the place?

Sounds to me like the mods wanted this to happen, and used their power to do so accordingly.

Also, the mods seem so optimistic about this change. I haven't seen a single one openly criticize it.

Makes you wonder...
Well, the mods were not the ones who actually made the change. And the Admins who made the change, do actually have the right to do what they want... It's their site.

And has it occurred to you that maybe the mods do actually like the change?
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:08 AM   #31
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Not true. We noticed the feedback thread asking for this change and brought it up in a discussion. We do that when changes are suggested. We discussed the pros and cons for a couple weeks across time zones, decided how we thought it could best be set up, and then I made the actual technical changes.

If it hadn't been suggested by members, it wouldn't have happened. That doesn't mean all suggestions are implemented; with such a huge forum and so many members, we try not to rock the boat too often. But this one made sense, and the first SFF thread was very clear about the desire and reasons for a change.

Quote:

Makes you wonder...
Do you really wonder why a group of moderators who decided to implement this change haven't criticised it? We made the change because we think it's a good idea.

Blaine, you've posted multiple times now that you don't like the change. We hear you, but we've said we are going to see how this works for a while. As with anything else, we may tweak things down the road. But my suggestion is to take a break and give it some time.
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:17 AM   #32
Blaine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeagain? View Post
Well, the mods were not the ones who actually made the change. And the Admins who made the change, do actually have the right to do what they want... It's their site.

And has it occurred to you that maybe the mods do actually like the change?
Arn owns the place, he can do whatever the hell he wants to here because this is his baby. What he says, goes. However, I was not aware that Arn has publicly commented on any of this. From the info given, it looks like the mods just took an idea and ran with it.

What i meant about no open criticism is that it seems that the decisions that are made here are perfect in moderators eyes. If Arn came in here right now and posted "We're going back to the old way. This has become too chaotic.", I would imagine the mods who thought the new forum shakeup was the holy grail of decisions would eat their words and post how right Arn is, and that the whole shakeup idea was crap to begin with.

I'm not saying that the mods should run around bashing macrumors every chance they get, but for Pete's sake, can't you guys be more human.

I didn't mean for everyone to start an all out bash fest. It is just saddening to feel that every moderator who has posted in this thread has basically had the attitude of "We like the change. Now go away."

----------

annk, you posted that while I was typing my next post, so I didn't see it until now. You're definitely the most compassionate moderator I've seen here. As per your advice, I am giving this one a rest. Good luck to everyone who both is happy, and unhappy with the forum change. I wish you all the best.

<3 to macrumors
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:21 AM   #33
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Arn owns the place, he can do whatever the hell he wants to here because this is his baby. What he says, goes. However, I was not aware that Arn has publicly commented on any of this. From the info given, it looks like the mods just took an idea and ran with it.

What i meant about no open criticism is that it seems that the decisions that are made here are perfect in moderators eyes. If Arn came in here right now and posted "We're going back to the old way. This has become too chaotic.", I would imagine the mods who thought the new forum shakeup was the holy grail of decisions would eat their words and post how right Arn is, and that the whole shakeup idea was crap to begin with.

I'm not saying that the mods should run around bashing macrumors every chance they get, but for Pete's sake, can't you guys be more human.

I didn't mean for everyone to start an all out bash fest. It is just saddening to feel that every moderator who has posted in this thread has basically had the attitude of "We like the change. Now go away."
Your supposing quite a lot here, and it's clear you've got some misconceptions about how things are done. So I'm trying to explain.
  • arn has not publicly commented on this, and no one has said that he has.
  • If arn suggested an idea to the admins and mods and we thought it was a bad idea, we would say so. That's the atmosphere we work in. You're right that it's his site and he can do as he wishes, but it seems pretty clear your idea of how things work when changes are discussed is off.
  • You find it saddening that the mods that have posted here have been positive to the change. The fact of the matter is that we're taking the time to let you know why we made the change, why we think it can be good, and why we think you should give it a chance. You're spending a lot of time repeating the fact that you don't like what's been done, and you're implying that the process that led up to it wasn't good. There's just no basis for that in reality. You're oversimplifying the moderators' responses to a degree that's unreasonable, IMO.

I don't think there's any more point in continuing this back-and-forth. You've made it very clear what you personally think, and we've heard you. That doesn't mean things are necessarily going to change. Like I said, give it some time. See what you think after the new system has had a decent chance to take hold.

Edit: I just saw your edit. We're typing at the same time!

I'm really glad to hear you're willing to give it a try. We can come back to this discussion after some time, when everyone's had the chance to get used to it.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:57 AM   #34
Blaine
macrumors 6502a

Before I leave the thread, I owe you guys an apology.

I am sorry to anyone whom I've offended throughout this thread. I feel like an ass right now, and I have turned this thread into an all out brawl. Sorry to SilentPanda, Arn, annk, and the rest of the entire moderating team. I will leave this thread alone now.

Anddddd annk, you rock!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:22 PM   #35
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Before I leave the thread, I owe you guys an apology.

I am sorry to anyone whom I've offended throughout this thread. I feel like an ass right now, and I have turned this thread into an all out brawl. Sorry to SilentPanda, Arn, annk, and the rest of the entire moderating team. I will leave this thread alone now.

Anddddd annk, you rock!
No worries. Let's just see how it goes for a while. Maybe we'll see some things that can be altered once we've all gotten used to the new set-up.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback