Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

We need a new place and way to organize wallpaper threads

• Yes, we need a new sub-forum for wallpapers

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • No, you are solving a problem that doesn't exist

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Go Gunners!

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • It won't matter after 12/21 anyway

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
I greatly enjoy the wallpaper threads. However, it has become increasingly difficult to discover great wallpaper because of the extreme length of the threads. The current length of the iPhone 5 wallpaper thread is about 3000 posts. Posters have taken some initiative to simplify this process by creating separate threads for wood backgrounds, name badges, etc. Additionally, there has been some concern listed by many posters about including the NSFW images with all of the other wallpapers.

I think it is time to create a dedicated sub-forum devoted exclusively to wallpapers and home screens. The new sub-forum could include wallpapers for all Apple devices, not just the iPhone. Currently, there are threads for wallpapers in a half dozen or so places, both in the forums for the devices and in the community section.

I advocate that the thread titles include the resolution of the images posted. The thread titles would be something like, "Animals - 640x1136", "Abstract 640x960", "NSFW - 2048x2048."

There could be threads for each of the following categories:

Abstract
Animals
Apple
Architecture
Arts
Entertainment
Holiday/Special Event
Humor
Illustration/Cartoon
Inspiration
Landscapes
Movies
Music
Name Badges
NSFW
Original iPhone Photography
Politics
Religion
Sports - Amateur and College
Sports - Other
Sports - Professional
Technology
Television
Textures
Transportation - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Wood

Post any other categories that you think would deserve their own thread or if you think any categories should be removed. Any other suggestions that you might have surrounding the idea are appreciated. I think this could really make the wallpapers threads much better.

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
My only suggestion would be for the posters to tag or enter a keyword in the thread. That way someone looking for "Chicago Bears" wont have to go through 100+ pages.

Otherwise I love the treads the way they are. By compartmentalizing just "Animals", for instance, some folks would never look there and might miss some great wallpapers.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
+1 on this. Great idea. I it takes forever to go through a thread with hundreds of pages!

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
It's not a bad idea, but it'll take some work for the staff to move stuff where it should be, etc. It isn't necessary to have.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Seems like an awful lot of work to split things up that much. How much traffic do you think each of those threads would actually get? I agree with iforbes that people would miss out on a lot of great wallpapers if things were segregated that much.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm not often in favor of adding more forums or subforums to the site; the more we have, the more confusing it gets. However, I do like the idea of this one. I don't know about splitting it up as much as the OP suggests, but the general idea is solid and would help out.

I've noticed in the desktop threads that rules that were in place stating that the poster should either post a link in his/her initial post, or state that they were not sharing, were ignored. The result was a back and forth that increased post count and made the thread super long:

a: here's my desktop
b: link?
a: here you go
b: thanks
a: you're welcome

...in what could have been done in one post if the rules were followed/enforced.

I recommend this new wallpaper/homescreen forum be part of the community forum and not contribute to a user's post count.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
There have been some great suggestions. Perhaps the threads wouldn't have to be quite so granular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.