Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
What processor fits in a 2006 iMac?

I'm looking to get down and dirty and attempt to change my processor :eek:

I know there are already people who have done this with success using a Intel core 2 duo processor but I was wondering if there are other options?

It will at least make it easier to find the processor.

Will it be possible to run a quad core?

Last edited:

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
So I know that there are members who put in Core 2 duo processors in these white iMacs.

My question is can I fit a newer processor in there too?

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
You can put a core 2 duo in there but nothing higher. And I think only certain types of Core 2 Duo aswell but not entirely sure.

Yip you are right I think. 667 FSB max ...

Thanks for that btw :)

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
What processor fits in a 2006 iMac?

I'm looking to get down and dirty and attempt to change my processor :eek:

I know there are already people who have done this with success using a Intel core 2 duo processor but I was wondering if there are other options?

It will at least make it easier to find the processor.

Will it be possible to run a quad core?

While technically possible you have to weigh the merits of spending the time and money on a 6 (almost 7) year old computer. There is an old term in car racing, "You can't turn a pig into a pure bread horse but you sure can make an awfully fast pig." I think that applies in this case.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
While technically possible you have to weigh the merits of spending the time and money on a 6 (almost 7) year old computer. There is an old term in car racing, "You can't turn a pig into a pure bread horse but you sure can make an awfully fast pig." I think that applies in this case.

Not looking to go racing but just looking to get the most out of my ride ;)

There is no chance of me getting something new unfortunately ... I was hoping that I could fit a descent 4-core in it but I guess a duo-core upgrade will do since I want to run Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.