Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themoffster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I've just installed the new iTunes and updated my ATV2.
Halfway through watching a program my iMac has went completely to sleep and the connection to the ATV is severed which means whatever i was watching stops too.
It happened twice just there when watching an hour long episode.

Anyone else finding this?
It's as if there is a bug where they forgot to stop the computer from going to sleep if it was streaming.

Very annoying!

JVlasy

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
I've just installed the new iTunes and updated my ATV2.
Halfway through watching a program my iMac has went completely to sleep and the connection to the ATV is severed which means whatever i was watching stops too.
It happened twice just there when watching an hour long episode.

Anyone else finding this?
It's as if there is a bug where they forgot to stop the computer from going to sleep if it was streaming.

Very annoying!

Yes they forgotten the feature when airplaying from iTunes prevents mac go to sleep. This is super annoying, yet it doesn't seem that there is any easy solution, neither any difficult solution, have to wait what Apple will do about it...
And the thing is that I know for sure it worked properly until iTunes 11 and new update for ATV. I hope there will be a quick fix for this from apple...

Last edited:

themoffster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
This is super annoying, yet it doesn't seem that there is any easy solution, neither any difficult solution

Install Caffine and use that to keep the computer awake. It's not ideal but better than getting off your seat mid film!

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I had this same issue on previous version of iTunes. My solution was: Go to system preferences, energy preferences, uncheck put hard drive to sleep whenever possible. (settings may differ, I am not at my computer) It seems the problem is the hard drive is going to sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.