Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:42 PM   #201
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hill View Post
Seems like most people I encounter with iPhones simply don't care/ignore other phones and OS.
There are idiots on both sides that try hard to prove their phone/OS is better...
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:43 PM   #202
Sean4123
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfologist87 View Post
Because it is very popular. There are so many different android phones on the market today its really amazing what they have done.

I have an HTC Evo, which is an fabulous phone. FOR ME AND WHAT I WANT out of a phone, it is perfect, and suits me better than an iPhone. Ive had an iPhone before and i do miss it, and if and when i switch to verizon soon i will be getting one.

I frequently visit and post in android forums, and believe me, there are many many iPhone threads where people defend, bash, and compare our android to your iPhone. This is also a major forum, discussing the iPhone. Its just natural that people are going to come here too and defend, bash, and compare their iPhone to our androids.

Enjoy your phones, do your research, and enjoy the raping from the cell phone companies!!!
Ha, I call BS on that. You say that your Evo fits you better than the iPhone, yet in the same paragraph you state that you miss your iPhone and will be getting one in the future....

Haha, make up your mind.
Sean4123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:50 PM   #203
Greg.
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Maybe because of that they protect Android like it is the best because they don't accept they don't have the money for an iphone.
It's because of constant backhanded comments like these on MacRumors that some people feel a need to step in to defend Android. The fact is both operating systems are incredible, and Android deserves serious credit for working on so many different devices. Some people don't understand the competition is good for us consumers, and probably haven't even tried Android before blindly dismissing it. Jelly Bean on my Nexus 4 is incredible, but there's features I miss from iOS. Why can't we all just get along?
__________________
13.3" MacBook Pro, Snow Leopard
Google Nexus 4, 16GB || Google Nexus 7, 16GB
Greg. is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:51 PM   #204
louis.b
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydney
As an ex Android fan boy who has recently moved to iphone5, I'd say let them defend all they want because what they say is probably exaggerated anyway. Some people just want to be in the "cool" group and it's hip now to bash Apple and praise Android. It's the nature of society to bring down the status quo and Apple is the biggest company is a fact. Android may have more market share collectively and Samsung sell more collectively but iPhone 4 4s and 5 are the best selling models out there. Let the haters hate all they want.
louis.b is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:55 PM   #205
indiekicks
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I've noticed this as well. People talk about "elitist isheep" but I've found hardcore android enthusiasts to be very zealous and condescending when it comes to iphone users. It's pathetic, really. Go enjoy your phone and ****.
indiekicks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:00 AM   #206
alancorp
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Maybe because of that they protect Android like it is the best because they don't accept they don't have the money for an iphone.


About android i think it is very insecure full of malware, virus and spyware, it is exactly like windows vs mac os x.
What an ignorant post. The high end android phones costs just as much as the 32GB iPhone 5 (Even 64Gb iPhone 5 if you add a 64GB sd Card). Most android fanboys that protect Android buy top of the line Android phones. I'm sure they can afford an iPhone.

The people who buy budget android phones could care less about Android vs IOS. Besides you can get an iPhone 4 for free and iPhone 4S for $99 so how is that not affordable?

Android is not insecure and full of malware and spyware. Of course if you root and sideload apps, you are opening yourself up but it's the same with iOS if you jailbreak. I'm not even going to get into Windows vs OSX.

Last edited by alancorp; Nov 28, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
alancorp is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:58 AM   #207
Dontazemebro
macrumors 68000
 
Dontazemebro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp700p View Post
Again.. now i'm being called a troll just because I am trying to see why theirs so much defending of Android products on an iPhone forum.

I take no offense to the comment at all, just further proves my point.

Why should iPhone fans be forced to defend Android? Why be fake about it? Android simply can not compete with the iPhone. I find more Android users going back to iPhone then iPhone users going back to Android.
Maybe because of ignorant comments like this. It's funny how an OS leading in marketshare by a good margin, can't compete.
__________________
32GB Gold iPhone 5s - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Quad core i7 Sony Vaio - 16GB Nexus 7 - Chromecast - AirPort Express
Dontazemebro is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:27 AM   #208
VulchR
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
@OP: I think the reason that people argue for one mobile phone over another is that they get their knickers in a twist trying to demonstrate how technologically oh-so-clever they are.

Yet in most cases their assertions are either adolescent twaddle ('such-and-such phone kicks such-and-such phone's a$$') or they are simply regurgitating the views they read somewhere by some biased 'expert' online. I think this is pretty much the same for some iPhone fans and some Android fans.

You know want to know why I prefer the iOS to Android? I used to say that it was because of how Google uses personal information. However, some people in this forum made an argument that it wasn't as bad as I thought, and, having read some more, I agree. So, hopefully at least some of the comments about the merits of one system over another are based on unbiased expertise of the people who post in forums like this. The problem is sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

FWIW - the main reason I don't like Android is that somehow the icons look amateurish to me (yuck) - it's as silly a basis for a preference as any you could mention. I also like the Apple ecosystem and some technical apps that are available only on iOS, but I just never have liked the look of Android. Probably never will....
__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:38 AM   #209
theluggage
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiekicks View Post
I've noticed this as well. People talk about "elitist isheep" but I've found hardcore android enthusiasts to be very zealous and condescending when it comes to iphone users. It's pathetic, really. Go enjoy your phone and ****.
Back in the stone age, the Druids probably had long arguments about whether a twin ring monolith-based stone circle could compete with a trilithon henge. Main progress is that back then, flaming someone was a bit more serious.

In the 80s when some of us were young, going into a store, finding the Commodore 64 and typing:

Code:
10 PRINT "Commodore is s***!  The BBC Model B is Better"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
...was the height of hilarity.

PC and Mac users have been ragging each other since 1984 (but then PCs were ****** until the late 90s).

Bottom line as I see it: Android is more versatile and customisable than iOS, gives you a far more diverse choice of devices (including cheap ones) but lacks the polish and consistency of iOS. Plus, whatever you think about the internal build quality of the hardware, there's only one Jony Ive, and other manufacturers just don't get the 'less can be more' concept.

iOS works seamlessly if you're happy to live within the iTunes/iCloud ecosystem, Android works pretty well if you're happy to live in Google's cloud instead, but trades seamlessness for diversity and compatibility.

Android makers went through a phase of producing me-too iDevice-look-alikes, but they've got over that (perhaps with some legal coercion) and are now offering interesting choices (e.g. Samsung's doing pen input and offering mini, regular, and phablet Galaxy devices).

The iPhone 5 is a fine phone, and it is innovative but the user payoff innovation isn't obvious. New display technology (which probably delayed the release) that merely shaves another mm off the thickness. The adaptive Lightning connector is jolly clever, but the practical upshot for the punter is that their docks and adapters are obsolete and the new adapters cost more than the old ones.

Yes folks, both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses...
theluggage is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:13 PM   #210
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
There are just as many iPhone fans defending their iphones on android forums as there are Android fans doing the same here. I frequent both apple forums (I have and use a 4S) and Android forums (I have and use a Nexus 10).

I find on most Android forums they put a stop to the Apple fans very quickly outside of the iOS sections though. I guess the same applies here....
cynics is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:30 PM   #211
siiip5
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluggage View Post
Back in the stone age, the Druids probably had long arguments about whether a twin ring monolith-based stone circle could compete with a trilithon henge. Main progress is that back then, flaming someone was a bit more serious.

In the 80s when some of us were young, going into a store, finding the Commodore 64 and typing:

Code:
10 PRINT "Commodore is s***!  The BBC Model B is Better"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
...was the height of hilarity.
...
Holy crap. You just brought back a bunch of memories! The Commodore 64 was awesome. Used to make side scrolling games with text code.
siiip5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:41 PM   #212
siiip5
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
There are just as many iPhone fans defending their iphones on android forums as there are Android fans doing the same here. I frequent both apple forums (I have and use a 4S) and Android forums (I have and use a Nexus 10).

I find on most Android forums they put a stop to the Apple fans very quickly outside of the iOS sections though. I guess the same applies here....
Go to AppleInsider and try to say anything negative about Apple. It will be censored and/or deleted within mnutes. there is a mod there named Talest Skil that is an utter tool. That used to be a great site and a place to get quality info. Now it reads like a propogandist site, completely spun to be as pro-Apple as possible. They also make up a lot of what they write by prefacing their articles with words like 'anticipated' or ''expected'. i.e. "The iPhone is expected to sell 1 billion phones this quarter." Total joke site now.
siiip5 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:39 PM   #213
mib1800
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I think it is more of the iFans that's on the defensive than Android fans. Sometimes I feel sorry for iFans trying to argue against Android (it is like they are charging up the hill where the other side has the higher ground)

Fact is Android has a much higher capability/functionality count (incl. multi-task, intents, connectivity/data tranfer options, OS options or apps and UI options) than iOS. Suffice to say that Android can do much more compared to iOS from a technical standpoint. Android fans just need to throw out these points and it will be very difficult for iFans to counter. The only thing left that iFans can do is to debate using their own PERSONAL preferences and point of views. So it is often quite frustrating (for both sides) when you are debating from a different perspective.
mib1800 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:48 PM   #214
Zwhaler
macrumors 603
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
Go to AppleInsider and try to say anything negative about Apple. It will be censored and/or deleted within mnutes. there is a mod there named Talest Skil that is an utter tool. That used to be a great site and a place to get quality info. Now it reads like a propogandist site, completely spun to be as pro-Apple as possible. They also make up a lot of what they write by prefacing their articles with words like 'anticipated' or ''expected'. i.e. "The iPhone is expected to sell 1 billion phones this quarter." Total joke site now.
Lol! Your post made me register on the AI forums just to quote this guy bashing the Note 2 and Android and list counter arguments ... oh the internet.
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2x UAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:02 PM   #215
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mib1800 View Post
I think it is more of the iFans that's on the defensive than Android fans. Sometimes I feel sorry for iFans trying to argue against Android (it is like they are charging up the hill where the other side has the higher ground)

Fact is Android has a much higher capability/functionality count (incl. multi-task, intents, connectivity/data tranfer options, OS options or apps and UI options) than iOS. Suffice to say that Android can do much more compared to iOS from a technical standpoint. Android fans just need to throw out these points and it will be very difficult for iFans to counter. The only thing left that iFans can do is to debate using their own PERSONAL preferences and point of views. So it is often quite frustrating (for both sides) when you are debating from a different perspective.

Nailed it.

I've said a bunch of times, in the past year, it's become harder and harder to defend iOS. The list of so called advantages have grown short and narrow with, as you said, very specific personal preferences.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:26 PM   #216
Prototypical
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by mib1800 View Post
I think it is more of the iFans that's on the defensive than Android fans. Sometimes I feel sorry for iFans trying to argue against Android (it is like they are charging up the hill where the other side has the higher ground)

Fact is Android has a much higher capability/functionality count (incl. multi-task, intents, connectivity/data tranfer options, OS options or apps and UI options) than iOS. Suffice to say that Android can do much more compared to iOS from a technical standpoint. Android fans just need to throw out these points and it will be very difficult for iFans to counter. The only thing left that iFans can do is to debate using their own PERSONAL preferences and point of views. So it is often quite frustrating (for both sides) when you are debating from a different perspective.
BUT... Those personal preferences/requirements can be just as important as tech specs and function counts. If someone doesn't need NFC or lean heavily on Google services, those things aren't really advantages from a personal perspective (even if they are unique vs. iOS). Far too often, Android fans put features and specs above real world usability (not to imply Android isn't usable in the real world) and can't understand why someone would choose iOS simplicity and functionality over Android's feature list and infinite customization. iOS doesn't make you a simpleton any more than Android makes you a geeky basement dweller.

A lot of these arguments would end before they start if more people could just accept that one OS is not indisputably "better" than the other. Maybe one is better for YOU, and the other is better for someone else. The best phone for anyone is the device that suits one's needs the best. We don't have to defend our OS choices to the death, folks. It's just a phone.
Prototypical is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:04 AM   #217
macrem
macrumors 65816
 
macrem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Amsterdam
I have had both iOS and Android devices & have primarily chosen iOS. There is no doubt that Android has its merits. It's understandable why some people prefer iOS and others Android.

I also feel like there is somehow stronger anti-iOS & anti-Apple sentiment. It's as if Apple did something bad to Android users. Ok, there were lawsuits but that's calmed down and it has not affected Android users. It's obvious that there was quite a lot of copying Apple's ideas but recently that's been a two-way street.

I have this kind of negative sentiment toward Microsoft & MS Windows after years of frustration with crapware and at times in my career being forced to use Windows at work. Also Microsoft's practices have stifled progress with products like IE.

But no one is forced to use Apple products afaik. Apple keeps pushing technology to the next level rather than stifling progress. The competition between Android and iOS is healthy for users. I'm glad there's both. We're also *NIX cousins.

I think we should all join hands and go back to hating Microsoft ;-)
__________________
15" rMBP | 27" iMac | iPhone 5 | iPad Air

Last edited by macrem; Nov 30, 2012 at 02:21 AM.
macrem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:26 AM   #218
reefoid
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
Go to AppleInsider and try to say anything negative about Apple. It will be censored and/or deleted within mnutes. there is a mod there named Talest Skil that is an utter tool. That used to be a great site and a place to get quality info. Now it reads like a propogandist site, completely spun to be as pro-Apple as possible. They also make up a lot of what they write by prefacing their articles with words like 'anticipated' or ''expected'. i.e. "The iPhone is expected to sell 1 billion phones this quarter." Total joke site now.
Agreed. I still go there just for the entertainment value but its amazing how ignorant some of the posters on there are. As for Tallest Skil, he's the only forum moderator I know of on any forums that is allowed to personally attack other posters and blatantly lies to refute arguments (and then refuses to accept he lied in the face of insurmountable evidence). Again, I just read his posts for pure comedic and entertainment purposes. And as for his ready made list of retorts against anyone that dare disagree with him, its a bit like debating with a three year old.

I think MR is one of the more balanced forums when it comes to the Apple/Android debate (especially since the introduction of this iOS Alternatives section). Yes, there are extremists on both sides, but the vast majority are open to an honest debate without resorting to name calling and stereotyping. Unlike AI where a balanced view from most of the regulars just isn't going to happen.
reefoid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:00 AM   #219
VulchR
macrumors 68000
 
VulchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
Holy crap. You just brought back a bunch of memories! The Commodore 64 was awesome. Used to make side scrolling games with text code.
I collected data for my PhD on the C64 (the game ports were tailored made to collect analog and digital inputs in real time). Great little machine....
__________________
My first was a Mac+. Now I own an iPhone with 3.5x the pixels, a colour display, WiFi, 512x the RAM, >1500x the data storage, and 100x the speed. And it fits in the palm of my hand.
VulchR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:14 AM   #220
SkyBell
macrumors 603
 
SkyBell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean4123 View Post
Ha, I call BS on that. You say that your Evo fits you better than the iPhone, yet in the same paragraph you state that you miss your iPhone and will be getting one in the future....

Haha, make up your mind.
You do know it's possible to like different aspects of two opposing things, right? I'm not a fan of iOS in the slightest, and I love my Palm Pixi with webOS. But I do miss my iPhone simply for the sheer number of the apps on the platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
Go to AppleInsider and try to say anything negative about Apple. It will be censored and/or deleted within mnutes. there is a mod there named Talest Skil that is an utter tool.
That guy used to hang around here a couple years back... and there's reasons he's no longer around.
__________________
MR's PowerPC Fangirl
eMac 1.42 GHz G4 - 10.4.11
12" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz - 10.4.11
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:21 PM   #221
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040
 
tbayrgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefoid View Post
As for Tallest Skil, he's the only forum moderator I know of on any forums that is allowed to personally attack other posters and blatantly lies to refute arguments (and then refuses to accept he lied in the face of insurmountable evidence). Again, I just read his posts for pure comedic and entertainment purposes. And as for his ready made list of retorts against anyone that dare disagree with him, its a bit like debating with a three year old.
Well, considering he was banned from MR, not terribly surprising.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:31 PM   #222
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lke View Post
Almost all the people that buy an Android phone is because they don't have the money for an iPhone.

Maybe because of that they protect Android like it is the best because they don't accept they don't have the money for an iphone.


About android i think it is very insecure full of malware, virus and spyware, it is exactly like windows vs mac os x.
So expensive that it can be obtained for the insanely high price of $49.99!
__________________
I own stuff that is cool and fits my needs.

Last edited by TheHateMachine; Nov 30, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
TheHateMachine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:39 PM   #223
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefoid View Post
Unlike AI where a balanced view from most of the regulars just isn't going to happen.
Well, you can't expect any balanced view when one of the star writers is Daniel Eran Dilger
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:25 PM   #224
cuzo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I think these guys are just tired of iOS and want something new, to be honest out the box iOS is just way superior.
cuzo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:29 PM   #225
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzo View Post
I think these guys are just tired of iOS and want something new, to be honest out the box iOS is just way superior.
Patently false.

Unless by superior, you mean slightly easier to use. And even that is debatable. It's not that hard to figure out smartphones these days. To get to some of the more indepth features of Android, sure, there are learning curves.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzo View Post
I think these guys are just tired of iOS and want something new.
True, to some degree. But you make it sound as if people are switching to Android just for the sake of something different.

It's that, but I think people are switching mainly because it does more things, and does more things better.
onthecouchagain is offline   5 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nevada Rancher, people defend him? G51989 Politics, Religion, Social Issues 718 Jun 18, 2014 04:30 AM
Note 2 and Other Android users who moved to iPhone hbksabhi Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 38 Oct 7, 2013 03:23 AM
People selling iphone for android phones! DB14ify Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 33 Jun 19, 2013 01:37 PM
Why do Fandroids defend Android tooth and nail? xcodeaddict Wasteland 1 Mar 11, 2013 10:14 PM
Moved to Android, iPhone still receives iMessages RossMacca Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 3 Jul 31, 2012 12:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC