Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:57 PM   #176
Swordylove
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
November = November 30
December = December 31
First quarter of 2013 = March 31, 2013
2013 = December 31, 2013

__________________
~
Swordylove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:01 AM   #177
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
To me the difficulties ramping production of next gen displays is the singular reason we have not seen an integrated Apple TV yet.
Or maybe we haven't seen one because Apple has no plans to ever make one. Not due to some analyst rumored production issue etc.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:20 AM   #178
lincolntran
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombierunner View Post
This is really Appalling. You have to pay through your nose and wait for ages to get hold of a product with inferior and outdated internals.
Go buy the alternative. Simple as that.
__________________
------- App Store ---------
HUE Command Center
lincolntran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:17 AM   #179
gto55
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tel Aviv
Will apple consider this call ?
Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/29/w...r-investments/
WSJ: Sharp courting US firms for investments, will trade displays for dollars

Loans, cuts and mortgages -- Sharp is doing everything it can to meet its "profitable by 2014" pledge, and according to the Wall Street Journal, it's looking to US suitors to lend a hand. Sources close to the company say that it's offering a stake in Sharp to companies like Dell, Intel and Qualcomm in exchange for a capital investment. So far, all four companies have declined to comment, but investors would reportedly score easy access to Sharp displays, a deal that could be a boon for Dell's hardware division. The display outfit had originally hoped to bolster its bottom line by selling a capital stake to Hon Hai, but the deal fizzled in August. No official numbers have been announced, but the WSJ is being told that Sharp is hoping to take in 20 billion (about $240 million) from both Dell and Intel, and is negotiating a more meager investment with Qualcomm. With any luck, the international agreements will keep Sharp afloat long enough for its IGZO-based LCD panels to put some black ink in the firm's ledgers.
gto55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:36 AM   #180
k995
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGagnon View Post
I'll agree that 5400k is a bit slow, but to the laymen it doesn't make a difference. Only a pro user cares about HHD speed because most people don't even know what that means. Not to mention you are more than welcome to put and SSD in it.

Again, most people don't care about the graphics card. I'm a CS major and I have never considered graphics performance when buying a computer (maybe because I don't play games).
Yes people dont know, and yes they wont know that its slowing the computer down, but is that an argument?

You can put in a celeron CPU as well, most people wont know the difference.

Yet if you point it out to them they will notice the delays, or the lowered resolution in games or ...

Its not because people dont realise it, it isnt happening.


Quote:
I disagree that form got in the way of functionality. I would agree that the 21" model is not as 'upgradable' as the 27" version, but you have to remember that they are also marketing to stay-at-home moms and people who just want a sleek, all-in-one desktop. There is no need to make the 21" top of the line which would only make the price go up (and only appease a small sample of the population). Not all computer users know or care about the specs.
It doesnt need to be upgradable just the best components for the best machine, not the components that fit in the design they made.
k995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:34 AM   #181
lianlua
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max(IT) View Post
I can see the reason for the iMac panel, but honestly I can't for the iPad mini: what's the problem with that kind of panel ???
Different dimensions of difficulty. People act as though resolution is the only challenge in building a display. It should be needless to say that it isn't.

The iMac doesn't have a higher resolution panel--the only real change is the fused cover glass. That's plenty of difficulty to contend with between the needed changes to glass chemistry and the large-area lamination process.

The iPad mini has problems of its own: the narrow side bezels are difficult to accommodate (bezels aren't just for grip on tablets, after all), the thinness is a significant challenge, and their touchscreen supplier has been having nothing but trouble getting yields up on that new GF2 technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgonPhone View Post
ummmm the ipad mini has the same lame screen and the same old chips that are in the old ipad 2..lol that is on the damn 3gs .. you mean tok tell me that apple is having trouble making that crap?
There's literally nothing that's the same from a manufacturing or technological perspective between the iPad mini and the iPhone 3GS. The iPad 2 (2012 revision) and iPad mini share exactly one part: the A5r2 SOC.

Despite the same resolution and the fact that both are a-Si IPS LCDs, there's also nothing shared between the iPad 2 and iPad mini display, either.
lianlua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:42 AM   #182
iLLUMI
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
iFood for Thought

I'm beginning to wonder whether 'short supply' equates to 'next update due soon'.
Could Apple be keeping stock low because they already have upgraded hardware due to be released in 6 months. Thus iPad Mini 2 could be due in March?!
Or are they just keeping stock low in case they get the breakthrough they're chasing for display panel technology, so that when it occurs they can quickly release an upgrade without being left with a pile of old, outdated stock.
I guess time will tell. Food for thought.
iLLUMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:53 AM   #183
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030
 
iSayuSay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLUMI View Post
I'm beginning to wonder whether 'short supply' equates to 'next update due soon'.
Could Apple be keeping stock low because they already have upgraded hardware due to be released in 6 months. Thus iPad Mini 2 could be due in March?!
Or are they just keeping stock low in case they get the breakthrough they're chasing for display panel technology, so that when it occurs they can quickly release an upgrade without being left with a pile of old, outdated stock.
I guess time will tell. Food for thought.
I certainly don't want Apple to follow others by updating the product lines so often in a short period.
But hey, I think that's a possibility, knowing the 3rd gen iPad life could be that short, and it's dead within 6 months while iPad 2 is still for sell as "low end" variant. Strange.
__________________
The things you own end up owning you.
It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
Sent from Paper Street Soap. Co
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:19 PM   #184
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorst View Post
NO it is not. The A5 chip is 55% of the size of the one in the old iPad 2. It is using the new 32nm cpu technology, consumes less power and less heat.
LCD panel is extra tin and new design, ultra tin battery. Basically Apple had to design a Mini with half the volume of the old iPad 2, half wait, with better specs like better camera, same battery live etc. Not an easy job I would say.
ummm dude really..... the screen quality is the same as the 3GS and that is in acceptable in 2012... FACT
__________________
 2009 21" iMac  2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5 +  2006 21" HD Cinema Display
 iPhone4S 16Gig  iPhone5 16Gig  iPad3 16Gig
GorgonPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:43 AM   #185
jason5
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
i can't wait till march i'd buy a kindle
jason5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:00 AM   #186
bawbac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Mini:
Apple website states 1 week to ship depending on model you want.
I also seen a few at Best Buy last weekend.

This shortage announcement was just hype to cause a false sense supply to boost sales.
You know the saying, everyone wants what they can't get.
bawbac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Friday 2013: Best Deals on the iPad, iPad Air, and iPad mini MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 90 Jan 6, 2014 08:45 AM
A7X-Based iPad and iPad Mini Expected to Launch in 4Q 2013, Lower-Cost A6 iPad Mini to Follow in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 178 Oct 11, 2013 07:52 AM
Supply Chain Hints Suggest Retina iPad Mini Could Debut in Second Half of 2013 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 200 Mar 28, 2013 01:25 PM
iPad Mini Display Judged 'Very Capable', But Falls Short of iPad and Android Competitors MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 322 Nov 12, 2012 06:58 AM
Interesting that cables are in short supply and adapters not ready sixxmum iPhone 1 Sep 22, 2012 07:34 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC