Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
November = November 30
December = December 31
First quarter of 2013 = March 31, 2013
2013 = December 31, 2013

:p

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Will apple consider this call ?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/29/wsj-sharp-courting-us-firms-for-investments/
WSJ: Sharp courting US firms for investments, will trade displays for dollars

Loans, cuts and mortgages -- Sharp is doing everything it can to meet its "profitable by 2014" pledge, and according to the Wall Street Journal, it's looking to US suitors to lend a hand. Sources close to the company say that it's offering a stake in Sharp to companies like Dell, Intel and Qualcomm in exchange for a capital investment. So far, all four companies have declined to comment, but investors would reportedly score easy access to Sharp displays, a deal that could be a boon for Dell's hardware division. The display outfit had originally hoped to bolster its bottom line by selling a capital stake to Hon Hai, but the deal fizzled in August. No official numbers have been announced, but the WSJ is being told that Sharp is hoping to take in ¥20 billion (about $240 million) from both Dell and Intel, and is negotiating a more meager investment with Qualcomm. With any luck, the international agreements will keep Sharp afloat long enough for its IGZO-based LCD panels to put some black ink in the firm's ledgers.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
I'll agree that 5400k is a bit slow, but to the laymen it doesn't make a difference. Only a pro user cares about HHD speed because most people don't even know what that means. Not to mention you are more than welcome to put and SSD in it.

Again, most people don't care about the graphics card. I'm a CS major and I have never considered graphics performance when buying a computer (maybe because I don't play games).
Yes people dont know, and yes they wont know that its slowing the computer down, but is that an argument?

You can put in a celeron CPU as well, most people wont know the difference.

Yet if you point it out to them they will notice the delays, or the lowered resolution in games or ...

Its not because people dont realise it, it isnt happening.

I disagree that form got in the way of functionality. I would agree that the 21" model is not as 'upgradable' as the 27" version, but you have to remember that they are also marketing to stay-at-home moms and people who just want a sleek, all-in-one desktop. There is no need to make the 21" top of the line which would only make the price go up (and only appease a small sample of the population). Not all computer users know or care about the specs.

It doesnt need to be upgradable just the best components for the best machine, not the components that fit in the design they made.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
I can see the reason for the iMac panel, but honestly I can't for the iPad mini: what's the problem with that kind of panel ???
Different dimensions of difficulty. People act as though resolution is the only challenge in building a display. It should be needless to say that it isn't.

The iMac doesn't have a higher resolution panel--the only real change is the fused cover glass. That's plenty of difficulty to contend with between the needed changes to glass chemistry and the large-area lamination process.

The iPad mini has problems of its own: the narrow side bezels are difficult to accommodate (bezels aren't just for grip on tablets, after all), the thinness is a significant challenge, and their touchscreen supplier has been having nothing but trouble getting yields up on that new GF2 technology.

ummmm the ipad mini has the same lame screen and the same old chips that are in the old ipad 2..lol that is on the damn 3gs .. you mean tok tell me that apple is having trouble making that crap?
There's literally nothing that's the same from a manufacturing or technological perspective between the iPad mini and the iPhone 3GS. The iPad 2 (2012 revision) and iPad mini share exactly one part: the A5r2 SOC.

Despite the same resolution and the fact that both are a-Si IPS LCDs, there's also nothing shared between the iPad 2 and iPad mini display, either.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
iFood for Thought

I'm beginning to wonder whether 'short supply' equates to 'next update due soon'.
Could Apple be keeping stock low because they already have upgraded hardware due to be released in 6 months. Thus iPad Mini 2 could be due in March?!
Or are they just keeping stock low in case they get the breakthrough they're chasing for display panel technology, so that when it occurs they can quickly release an upgrade without being left with a pile of old, outdated stock.
I guess time will tell. Food for thought. :apple:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I'm beginning to wonder whether 'short supply' equates to 'next update due soon'.
Could Apple be keeping stock low because they already have upgraded hardware due to be released in 6 months. Thus iPad Mini 2 could be due in March?!
Or are they just keeping stock low in case they get the breakthrough they're chasing for display panel technology, so that when it occurs they can quickly release an upgrade without being left with a pile of old, outdated stock.
I guess time will tell. Food for thought. :apple:

I certainly don't want Apple to follow others by updating the product lines so often in a short period.
But hey, I think that's a possibility, knowing the 3rd gen iPad life could be that short, and it's dead within 6 months while iPad 2 is still for sell as "low end" variant. Strange.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
NO it is not. The A5 chip is 55% of the size of the one in the old iPad 2. It is using the new 32nm cpu technology, consumes less power and less heat.
LCD panel is extra tin and new design, ultra tin battery. Basically Apple had to design a Mini with half the volume of the old iPad 2, half wait, with better specs like better camera, same battery live etc. Not an easy job I would say.

ummm dude really..... the screen quality is the same as the 3GS and that is in acceptable in 2012... FACT

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Mini:
Apple website states 1 week to ship depending on model you want.
I also seen a few at Best Buy last weekend.

This shortage announcement was just hype to cause a false sense supply to boost sales.
You know the saying, everyone wants what they can't get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.