Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Forget the fusion drive. To avoid a platter disk altogether the only option is

1. 27" model
2. $1300 for 768 SSD. (Price in my location )

That's the bigger ripoff. That almost a whole other 21.5" iMac.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Forget the fusion drive. To avoid a platter disk altogether the only option is

1. 27" model
2. $1300 for 768 SSD. (Price in my location )

That's the bigger ripoff. That almost a whole other 21.5" iMac.

Which is exactly why I decided on the stock low end 21.5" at a stop gap until Apple launches the new pro model. Spending $2500 on a virtually sealed computer just isn't an option I can conscientiously consider.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Just get the normal platter drive and then get this Thunderbolt SSD.
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H...128gb-ssd-thunderbolt-hard-drive?fnode=5f&p=3

Connect it and attach one of the TwelveSouth backpacks so that everything is still neat and tidy. Managing your files yourself is not rocket science.

This is what I would do.

I'd never invest too much into Apple's drive options. They're one of the most likely things to fail in the machine, and I still view hard drives as expendable items.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Fusion drive for $250 is fairly priced, as it does what was promised and provides a true WORKING model that is on par to ssd speed for most of the tasks average users do, the 128GB physical ssd may cost less but it's not just hardware but combined hardware+software apple created to make this work. Considering a 1TB ssd would cost many times over, i dont see anything wrong with the $250 price.

What is missing from apple's imac configuration is a middle tier pure ssd option. Jumping from $250 fusion drive upgrade to $1300 SSD upgrade is just plain retarded. They should have provided a 256GB SSD only option for $300-400, and a 500GB SSD only option for $500-700.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
If I wanted to put a 256GB SSD in my new iMac is there a ssd out there that I can buy and put in this machine? I don't think opening the iMac or setting up the fusion software will be a problem as this has been proven on many threads. The new iMac is only held together by magnets again and has far less components so the procedure will be simple. I am going to have to open this machine at some point so why not do it from day one.

The main sticking point for this upgrade is that I don't know if a 256GB SSD is available to fit the iMac's msata connector? Are ones available for the macbook pro retina anyone??

kgian

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
If I wanted to put a 256GB SSD in my new iMac is there a ssd out there that I can buy and put in this machine? I don't think opening the iMac or setting up the fusion software will be a problem as this has been proven on many threads. The new iMac is only held together by magnets again and has far less components so the procedure will be simple. I am going to have to open this machine at some point so why not do it from day one.

The main sticking point for this upgrade is that I don't know if a 256GB SSD is available to fit the iMac's msata connector? Are ones available for the macbook pro retina anyone??

Almost certainly ssds made by OWC will be compatible with the new iMac. In a couple of days we will know.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Not sure about this now after looking at some of the updated photos on the tear down pics thread. Looks as if it could be double sided tape :mad:

We'll have to wait for more info. Double-sided tape may not be so bad if it maintains its adhesion. Lots of electronics with tape are fine to take apart and put back together.

Guess we'll find out soon enough!

CoreyLahey

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Which is exactly why I decided on the stock low end 21.5" at a stop gap until Apple launches the new pro model. Spending $2500 on a virtually sealed computer just isn't an option I can conscientiously consider.

Considering the resell value I personally think it's not a bad idea at all. When you want to perform a major upgrade, you just switch computers, which isn't such a big pain with the iMac's form factor.

I used to build my own PCs a couple of years back and never really upgraded anything other than RAM, because by the time the CPU/GPU were outdated, a new kind of motherboard/power supply etc. was required, to make a potential upgrade work. I could have upgraded earlier, but that would've cost a lot over time and wasn't really necessary.

At least that's how it was for me, of course everybody's needs are different.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
We'll have to wait for more info. Double-sided tape may not be so bad if it maintains its adhesion. Lots of electronics with tape are fine to take apart and put back together.

Guess we'll find out soon enough!

This is the screen we are talking about here. The magnets must not have had enough holding power to keep the lcd and glass frame on properly hence "This time, because it was fixed with double-sided tape, a hot air gun It was also necessary"

The tape looks to be ripped in the images so will need replacement after the screen is removed. This maybe is not going to be a good idea to remove without having to scrape all of the old tape off every time the machine is opened :mad: So much for magnets.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This is the screen we are talking about here. The magnets must not have had enough holding power to keep the lcd and glass frame on properly hence "This time, because it was fixed with double-sided tape, a hot air gun It was also necessary"

The tape looks to be ripped in the images so will need replacement after the screen is removed. This maybe is not going to be a good idea to remove without having to scrape all of the old tape off every time the machine is opened :mad: So much for magnets.

I can't tell anything from the images, at all. So I'll still wait for further reports.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
It's a "rip off" if you are a technically-saavy user who is comfortable with physically working inside your computer (doubly so with a computer that is not designed to be easily physically worked on), who understands how the Fusion system is implemented, is comfortable with using command line tools to configure it and understands that if you make a mistake you will very likely destroy your data so you have a backup plan in place before you started.

Those types of users are, if not the majority on technical forums like these, are at least the plurality.

These users are not the plurality, much less the majority, of the general Apple consumer base.

Explain all those steps to someone like your father or mother or a co-worker who doesn't have your level and depth of knowledge. And also explain to them that if they make a mistake, they could damage their computer (requiring repair or replacement not under warranty at their own cost) or the loss of all their data.

Then ask them if paying $250 to Apple to do it (and cover it under warranty) is a "rip off". ;)

I'm a very technically-saavy user who has the knowledge and skills to do this myself, but I would still pay Apple the $250 to do it for me and cover it under a warranty because even with my skills and knowledge, I could still make a mistake with the hardware-side of it and the costs of fixing that will almost certainly be more than $250. :)

I'm pretty techie and have built dozens of windows PC's from the motherboard up, but I still wouldn't touch opening the large glass of an iMac to play around with the innards. Especially my 27" iMac. Just feels too easy to screw up. Also not even sure if there is space for the multiple drives in there and what kind of brackets I'd need to procure.

Pretty sure it will take more than $160 ($250-$90) worth of my time to do all this. And while I don't love spending the other $200, I do get some value for that.

So while it's a high price, it's still cheaper than DIYing it.

Good article though to raise awareness and a POV.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
The new iMac is only held together by magnets again and has far less components so the procedure will be simple.

false, go checkout the youtube videos, they sealed it shut. The guy has to use a thin knife all around the screen to break the tape/glue. It's good that this setup will seal out all the dust, but very bad for upgrade. As you need to buy new tape, align them perfectly, then reseal precisely.

I am glad i got the fusion drive instead of the stock hdd and hope to upgrade later, there is no way i am going through that to opening it up on top of voiding my warranty - on a new design untested day 1 order.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
false, go checkout the youtube videos, they sealed it shut. The guy has to use a thin knife all around the screen to break the tape/glue. It's good that this setup will seal out all the dust, but very bad for upgrade. As you need to buy new tape, align them perfectly, then reseal precisely.

I am glad i got the fusion drive instead of the stock hdd and hope to upgrade later, there is no way i am going through that to opening it up on top of voiding my warranty - on a new design untested day 1 order.

I corrected myself straight after I saw the images coming in of the iMac being opened fully. I wonder now if that tap can be purchased from somewhere?

Last edited:

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

actually he used a guitar pick . with that said id be deathly afraid to go through all that . Id take it apart and stare at it like a Meth Head wondering what to do next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.