Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Claust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Any of you ordered the 768gb ssd?

Really considering it, as i need to run a fast bootcamp install, and i am worried that 128gb ssd from the fusion drive (split into 2 drives), is a bit small...

But i hate the idea of paying so much for just 768gb of hdd space. (And i live in Denmark, here the upgrade price for the ssd is insane $1800. That brings a fully loaded 27" above $5000)

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011

Really considering it, as i need to run a fast bootcamp install, and i am worried that 128gb ssd from the fusion drive (split into 2 drives), is a bit small...

But i hate the idea of paying so much for just 768gb of hdd space. (And i live in Denmark, here the upgrade price for the ssd is insane $1800. That brings a fully loaded 27" above $5000)

Buy what you can afford.

I recently sold my Retina MacBook Pro, therefore was more cashed up.

Do you have an older mac you could sell on eBay etc?

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
No way, you are better off pulling it apart and replacing the regular HDD with a Samsung 830 ssd, waiting for OWC to release compatible blade style SSD or running one from an external TB enclosure.

bugbear99

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
No way, you are better off pulling it apart and replacing the regular HDD with a Samsung 830 ssd, waiting for OWC to release compatible blade style SSD or running one from an external TB enclosure.

is iMac 2012 have the temp sensor issue after HD replacement like 2011's?

Cidtek

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012

Bootcamp does not use fusion... just uses the hd.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

The particular 21.5" model that iFixit took apart had space on the logic board for the SSD connector, but the connector was NOT loaded on the board. So you'll need soldering equipment and skills to install a blade-style SSD.

This was the base model iMac, without the option of Build-To-Order Fusion drive. iFixit speculated that the higher model (where SSD is an option) might have the connector already installed. If that's the case, then the OWC SSD add-on will be a lot more feasible.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Man I really wanted to, but at the end of the day I opted to use that money towards and external SSD thunderbolt drive. I will run all of my projects off of it and can basically get 2-3x the space for the same price...

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
wish I could have, but already spent $2800 on maxed out imac + $829 on refurn TB display + $170 on 32GB ram + $60 keyboard + iPad mini and iPhone 5 in October, and I am not even sure 768GB would be enough for me 2 years down the road anyway... maybe next time, if 1TB SSD only costs $400 :)

I think I'm going to go for a 512GB external TB or USB3 SSD next year for Aperture library, etc

Claust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Wish I just knew for *sure* that either

a/ You can break apart the fusion disks (software) and run OSX/Win on the 128GB SSD included and use the 3TB as data storage. (and that 128GB is sufficient)

b/ You can run Bootcamp from an external SSD

Can anyone confirm either?

Last edited:

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK

a/ You can break apart the fusion disks (software) and run OSX/Win on the 128GB SSD included and use the 3TB as data storage. (and that 128GB is sufficient)

b/ You can run Bootcamp from an external SSD

Can anyone confirm either?

You can do the external SSD Bootcamp option.

The fusion setup is something that is at a guess an option when you restore these new iMacs. If it isn't then a simple work around to restore the iMac but once in recovery go to disk utility and format the one drive as something Mountain lion won't install to. After the install finishes simply format the other drive correctly for use.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I did go for the 768gb SSD option, but it was almost painful to hit the order button. I could have nearly bought an extra iMac for the price of the SSD feature. But, after starting using SSD 4 years ago, I've decided to never use another computer with regular HDs again. One thing is speed, another thing is temperatur. I should think (just an educated guess) that the 768gb SSD iMac should run more cool and silent than the HD and fusion drive versions.

Last edited:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I reluctantly ordered the 768GB SSD option for my 27" iMac, although it is grossly overpriced (as are a lot of nice things in life ;) ). I don't want ANY rotating hard disks in my iMac, especially after seeing the iFixit tear-down with the adhesive tape! This will be all SSD for me.

I am replacing my aging all-SSD Mac Pro with this iMac, so the cost is actually comparable. Having the large SSD allows me to have a SSD-based Windows installation, plus adequate OS X installation, all internal, and I will move my existing 1TB SSD RAID-0 photo library to an external Thunderbolt LaCie enclosure which I have already built and tested.

Can't wait to get it ....

EDIT: Adding an external 1TB SSD with fast enclosure is around $1000 cost, but that is still more capacity for somewhat less $$$ than the 768GB internal ... but it does put it in perspective.

-howard

Last edited:

BitterCreek

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Denver
waiting for OWC to release compatible blade style SSD

Will never happen. Unless you buy a fusion hybrid drive or the SSD, the logicboard doesn't have the connector installed.

----------

a/ You can break apart the fusion disks

Yes you can.

----------

I did go for the 768gb SSD option, but it was almost painful to hit the order button. I could have nearly bought an extra iMac for the price of the SSD feature.
Nearly? The base iMac is $1300!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
That was a startling revelation in the iFixIt teardown ... I don't understand why they would omit the connector on the motherboard for the SSD drive. I would think any cost savings would be offset by only building / stocking a single motherboard for all models.

That will put a damper on DIY adding a SSD to the HD only models, in addition to the sticky-tape seal around the display to get into it! :mad:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Why not boot on the internal drive and have an Thunderbolt SSD drive formatted HTFS to hold programs and data for Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.