Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Overtakes LG to Become No. 2 Mobile Phone Maker in U.S.

Apple captured the number two slot in all U.S. mobile phone makers, both smartphone and non-smartphone, for the first time, according to a new report by research firm comScore.

Samsung maintained their lead with 26.3% in overall mobile phone userbase, with Apple coming in second at 17.8% and LG .2 points behind in the number three slot with 17.6%. Apple gained 1.5% in the three month period starting in August 2012 and ending in October 2012, which includes the first full month of iPhone 5 availability.*LG, Motorola and HTC all saw their share shrink by .8, .2 and .4% respectively. Back in April, Apple leapfrogged Motorola to become the No. 3 mobile phone maker.

comScore's data tracks installed base rather than sales figures, so it reflects well on real-world usage rather than immediate market trends. Recently, Kantar Worldpanel released data based on sales figures that Apple had overtaken Android in marketshare with the help of iPhone 5 sales.

Article Link: Apple Overtakes LG to Become No. 2 Mobile Phone Maker in U.S.
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:07 PM   #2
iphone495
macrumors member

No surprise there.
iphone495 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:09 PM   #3
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

with just one model! that's impressive.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Xscapes
macrumors regular

By .2%...Apple can do better right?
Xscapes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:09 PM   #5
goobot
macrumors 601

Just the fact that apple only sells 3 phones (2 old models) at a time while the other competition will sell dozens of new just shows how well apple is doing in the phone market.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:12 PM   #6
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
Just the fact that apple only sells 3 phones (2 old models) at a time while the other competition will sell dozens just shows how well apple is doing in the phone market.
if you comparing 3 iPhones (means 3 years) then for competitors 'dozens' is very low figure, i think it will be many more models.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:12 PM   #7
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502a

Is this all phones or just smartphones?
If so pretty impressive considering Apple only makes smartphones.
KieranDotW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:15 PM   #8
wikus
Banned

HTC is heavily underrated, their One series phones are amazing, much better than an iphone and yet Samsung is at the top....
wikus is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Amazing decline by RIM on the platforms marketshare if you have a look at the old charts back from beginning of the year (16,6% in Nov-11 to 7,8% in Oct-12).
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Pimp Lucious
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
Just the fact that apple only sells 3 phones (2 old models) at a time while the other competition will sell dozens of new just shows how well apple is doing in the phone market.

Yes because we all know that the key to success in the phone market for any company other than Apple is to simply churn out as many models as possible.
Pimp Lucious is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:40 PM   #11
princigalli
macrumors 6502

I can see Samsung being N.1, they aso make the best phones, and I can see Apple being number 2 with all their marketing and Iphones that are maybe boring not that bad, but what about LG n.3? I don't know if they make good phones. Haven't seen one yet.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:48 PM   #12
ScholarsInk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp Lucious View Post

Yes because we all know that the key to success in the phone market for any company other than Apple is to simply churn out as many models as possible.
I don't think that's what was meant. Apple only makes one phone, which is a smartphone, whereas the other companies make every type of phone.
ScholarsInk is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:49 PM   #13
nfl46
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by princigalli View Post
I can see Samsung being N.1, they aso make the best phones, and I can see Apple being number 2 with all their marketing and Iphones that are maybe boring not that bad, but what about LG n.3? I don't know if they make good phones. Haven't seen one yet.
LG has the Nexus 4 now. Not that it factored into the numbers right now, but its a good device.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:50 PM   #14
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by princigalli View Post
I think every non-smartphone I've seen in the last year has been an LG.
chrisbru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:51 PM   #15
trekkie604
macrumors 65816

LG will be back when they consider the new numbers for the Nexus 4.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:53 PM   #16
santaliqueur
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp Lucious View Post

That's not what he meant. Stop defending so quickly and think about what you are replying to.
santaliqueur is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:57 PM   #17
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike MA View Post
Amazing decline by RIM on the platforms marketshare if you have a look at the old charts back from beginning of the year (16,6% in Nov-11 to 7,8% in Oct-12).
If Blackberry 10 is anywhere near as stable/reliable as Android, their marketshare SHOULD rise.

I just hope whatever phone they release doesnt look ugly. They need to put a phone on store shelves that people won't be embarrassed to hold in public.
wikus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:04 PM   #18
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Remember when the first iPhone was released, Jobs said he'd be happy with capturing just 1% of the smartphone market. And at that time, many analysts were predicting that it would be difficult for Apple to do even that. "It doesn't have a physical keyboard!"
jayducharme is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:07 PM   #19
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
Remember when the first iPhone was released, Jobs said he'd be happy with capturing just 1% of the smartphone market. And at that time, many analysts were predicting that it would be difficult for Apple to do even that. "It doesn't have a physical keyboard!"
If you'd look for what clueless means in the dictionary you'd find ANALYST is a synonym
The Bulge is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:22 PM   #20
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Wow, had to read this again to make sure we were really talking about mobile phones as a whole, not smartphones.

I remember when introducing the original iPhone, Steve said they hoped to grab 1% of the mobile phone market share.
pgiguere1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:28 PM   #21
wikus
Banned

The HTC One X runs circles around the iPhone 5 and is the only phone on the market that actually trumps the iPhone on aesthetics. I'm not saying that from a fanboy perspective as the iPhone 4/5 are in my opinion at the number 3 spot (HTC One S in white looks better as well).

That said, your comment is pathetic.

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Dec 1, 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Clean up of quoted text
wikus is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:30 PM   #22
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
Have you ever actually used an HTC, or even any Android phone at all?

The HTC One X runs circles around the iPhone 5 and is the only phone on the market that actually trumps the iPhone on aesthetics. I'm not saying that from a fanboy perspective as the iPhone 4/5 are in my opinion at the number 3 spot (HTC One S in white looks better as well).

I had the One X and it just felt so right in my hand, even the weight was just perfect. I would say the design is perfect but there is that protruding camera. But yes, I agree the design is better than the iPhone (In my opinion).

Last edited by stridemat; Dec 2, 2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: cleanup
aerok is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:35 PM   #23
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Have you ever actually used an HTC, or even any Android phone at all?

While I agree that the HTC One line is underrated compared to Samsung's Galaxy line, you're making a couple of bold claims here.

I'm not sure what you mean by "runs circle around the iPhone 5".

The One X has a worse CPU and GPU, similar screen but with worse colour gamut and no in-cell touch for the "painted on top of glass" illusion. It is bulkier, has worse battery life, worse camera and no 64GB option while also having tasteless Beats by Dr Dre branding, HTC Sense skin that nobody likes, and is late on Android updates (it just got 4.1 while 4.2 has been out for a little while).

You could say that you like its design better or that you like its bigger screen better, but both of those are more subjective, so I don't know why you talk like it's an unquestionable fact that the One X is better. If you want to compare measurable hardware, the iPhone 5 is clearly a higher-end phone than a One X, which is also normal given that it's a newer phone. The rest (OS choice, screen size, aesthetics) is just like, your opinion, man.

Last edited by pgiguere1; Dec 1, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
pgiguere1 is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:51 PM   #24
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular

Quote:
HTC is heavily underrated, their One series phones are amazing, much better than an iphone and yet Samsung is at the top....
I agree with you as a HTC user. I think what holds HTC down is their frequency of renewing their products, which no companies can match Samsung.

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB
HarryKNN21 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:02 PM   #25
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Editorial note

To the author, welcome. When expressing numbers like .4 and .2 it is traditional to include the leading zero. 0.4 and 0.2.

Great news for stockholders.

Rocketman

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion