Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
For most students, last week and the next two weeks are hell week for students. Exam schedules are all messed up and that would interfere with practice. Some players don't have off campus housing or their on-campus arrangements may not permit them to stay on campus.
Since when do these schools or the NCAA care about the students, it's all about making the schools billions of dollars.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I doubt the NCAA really gives a flip. But having the bowl games after the winter break doesn't exactly interfere with that.
What is the real reason for the delay, is it to cram the games on New Years, even tho most of the big ones are now a week later. I could see giving them 2 weeks for finals but 6 weeks? Why not start the season 3 weeks later.

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
What a night. Tonights game has to be the greatest in SEC Championship history! ROLL TIDE ROLL

Georgia and Alabama both played their best football tonight. Poor clock management on both teams (bama= end of first half; georgia= end of game). The question has to be asked, Can ND be the team to end the SEC BCS streak? I hope not.. But great game by Georgia and ROLL TIDE

Attachments

• 309122_10151176061823348_629052194_n.jpeg
    309122_10151176061823348_629052194_n.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 480579_10151176061918348_1956902165_n.jpeg
    480579_10151176061918348_1956902165_n.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 53

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Amazing game. Heartbreaking finish for UGA. I feel bad for the WR who caught that ball on the last play. Instinct forced him to catch it, so it's not really his fault, but he's going to blame himself forever for not batting it down and giving themselves another chance.

If Alabama plays defense like they played tonight, they're not going to win.

I don't think ND has the playmakers on offense to exploit Alabama's defense. Thy should be able to keep it relatively low scoring, which could keep it close enough that a bounce here or there could decide things, but I don't think you'll see them go up and down the field like UGA did.

I love the SEC hate, too.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
What a night. Tonights game has to be the greatest in SEC Championship history! ROLL TIDE ROLL

Georgia and Alabama both played their best football tonight. Poor clock management on both teams (bama= end of first half; georgia= end of game). The question has to be asked, Can ND be the team to end the SEC BCS streak? I hope not.. But great game by Georgia and ROLL TIDE

I don't know about that, I liked 08 a lot better

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Did I miss the posts about the beat down Wisconsin put on Nebraska?

That 2nd half unnecessary roughness penalty on the kick return down the sideline was bogus. It was a clean, shoulder to shoulder hit. The Nebraska player was just running full speed, pursuing the ball carrier, and didn't see it coming. You can't control how fast your opponent runs, or his lack of attention to an impending collision!

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States

That 2nd half unnecessary roughness penalty on the kick return down the sideline was bogus. It was a clean, shoulder to shoulder hit. The Nebraska player was just running full speed, pursuing the ball carrier, and didn't see it coming. You can't control how fast your opponent runs, or his lack of attention to an impending collision!

I made one on the previous page

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring

BTW doesn't that help NIU team? i wonder if nebraska will fall enough.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Jerry Palm is projecting Northern Illinois to finish 16th in the BCS and gets an Orange Bowl berth. NIU's head coach, Dave Doeren, accepted the NC State head coaching job yesterday morning, so he won't be leading the Huskies in Miami if it does happen.

Palm's BCS projections:

BCS CG: Notre Dame vs Alabama (obviously)
Fiesta: K-State vs Oregon
Sugar: Florida vs Louisville
Orange: Florida St vs No. Illinois
Rose: Stanford vs Wisconsin

Others of note to the board:

Cotton: OU vs UGA (I think this would be awesome)
CapitalOne: Texas A&M vs Nebraska
Chick-Fil-A: LSU vs Clemson
Alamo: UT-Austin vs Oregon St
Holiday: UCLA vs TCU
Heart of Dallas: Texas Tech vs Purdue
Las Vegas: Boise St vs Washington (what happened to evilgEEk?)

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
If Wisconsin plays the way they played against Nebraska, the Rose bowl is going to be one hell of a game.

I'm kinda disappointed though. I want to see Oregon vs Florida. Obviously Florida is going to crush Louisville. That's a gimme for the SEC.

Wisconsin vs Stanford

No. Illinois vs Louisville

K State vs Florida State

Florida vs Oregon

Bama vs ND

would be much better line up

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
God I wouldn't mind seeing Skip Holtz walk. I also wouldn't mind USF picking up Kiffin. Any coach from any of those teams would be better than what USF has now.

Looks like you're getting your wish. At least part of it. Skip Holtz apparently was fired this morning.

If Wisconsin plays the way they played against Nebraska, the Rose bowl is going to be one hell of a game.

Yep, should be a good one, though I expect Stanford's defense to be the difference.

I'm kinda disappointed though. I want to see Oregon vs Florida. Obviously Florida is going to crush Louisville. That's a gimme for the SEC.

Agree about Oregon-Florida; it would be a fun matchup of great D vs great O. If Palm is correct, the Fiesta and Sugar will probably both be blowouts.

Imagine how bad Louisville will get stomped if Charlie Strong leaves before the bowl, too.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Yep, should be a good one, though I expect Stanford's defense to be the difference.

Not if they play like they did against UCLA.

Otherwise, I agree. Wisconsin's QB is too inexperienced.

----------

Top 25:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1

HOW IS EMBASRASKA RANKED?

a team put up 70 POINTS on them in the conference championship.

And that team isn't ranked ahead of them?

What is this I don't even

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska

I usually try not to be one to complain about the refs, but this was a game where it doesn't even matter if they were on point or not. We got absolutely RAILED, plain and simple. After that performance I'm not sure we even deserved to be IN that game, but props to Wisconsin for handing Nebraska it's own arse on a plate anyway.

At least my Baylor Bears managed to make something of the season after all. :cool:

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Jerry Palm is projecting Northern Illinois to finish 16th in the BCS and gets an Orange Bowl berth. NIU's head coach, Dave Doeren, accepted the NC State head coaching job yesterday morning, so he won't be leading the Huskies in Miami if it does happen.

Later that afternoon based off the coaches polls, he changed to say NIU would miss out (#17 instead of #16) by like .3 points; however, SI is breaking the news that #MACtion is going to the Orange Bowl!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...report-northern-illinois-is-orange-bowl-bound

That would be contingent on the Harris and/or computers giving them enough bump to make up for the Coaches.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
ESPN posted the full bowl lineup based on sources - http://espn.go.com/college-football...orthern-illinois-huskies-earn-orange-bowl-bid

Oregon v. KState should be fun. Not too surprised the Sugar didn't go with a less 'established/traditional' team and took mediocre Louisville.

I'm all about the #MACtion crashing the BCS. There's really been a Top 5 (including OSU) all year - everyone else has choked at some point, even 'Bama has. No one's invincible, everything has been up for grabs this year.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I a little bummed that A&M ended up in the Cotton Bowl. It should be a fun game against a good team, but since we've played Olahoma every year (save one) since 1993, I'm just not that up for it.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So I just saw the updated BCS rankings and...6 SEC teams in the BCS top 10? LOL. Which is crazy because despite all those teams in the top 10, only 2 get to play in a BCS game ('Bama, Florida)...

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
No one wants to see that from any conference, which is exactly why I'm not excited about the Cotton Bowl. A&M-OU still feels like a conference game.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
This whole disappointing seasion was rectified with the badgers beat down of nebraska in the BIG championship. :D even bielemas terrible time management and coaching decisions couldnt blow it. Only problem is they probably wont fire him now :/

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
No one wants to see that from any conference, which is exactly why I'm not excited about the Cotton Bowl. A&M-OU still feels like a conference game.

Yeah pretty much, but at least they are technically in different conferences.

----------

This whole disappointing seasion was rectified with the badgers beat down of nebraska in the BIG championship. :D even bielemas terrible time management and coaching decisions couldnt blow it. Only problem is they probably wont fire him now :/

Go to the Rose Bowl two straight seasons.

Have one bad season where your team lost by a total of 18 points to all opponents.

Somehow manage to get to the conference championship and blow a team out by like 40 points.

Make it to the third straight Rose Bowl

Call for the firing of the coach.

What is this I don't even...

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I usually try not to be one to complain about the refs, but this was a game where it doesn't even matter if they were on point or not.

True enough; it didn't matter as far as this particular contest. My comment was more of a "what is this game coming to" sort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.