Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Just to note that the install took a long time. For a while, I was afraid the AppleTV had frozen -- enough that I searched for my micro-USB cable in case I had to restore in iTunes. I even put a piece of tape on the screen to see whether the install was processing. Eventually it progressed through the screens and successfully completed.

I gave up waiting and pulled the plug out the back of mine. It had been approximately 40mins stuck at the same place (about 3/4 through preparing). I've now successfully done it in about 2 mins on the second attempt

pvig42

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
London
Wow

Wow meaning what a slow update. Taken an hour & only 3/4 of the way through step one. Hope it's worth it.

Now have to update the other one :eek:

blybug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2003
Galveston, TX
Can't quite wrap my head around exactly how it would work...but seems they're about a half-step away from merging Music.app with Remote.app.

Frustrating that Remote.app on iPad has such a nice functional UI to browse Cloud, iTunes Match, local music, and Home Sharing Libraries, but can't be used to play stuff on the iPad itself.

pvig42

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
London
Keeps saying unsuccessful

It took over 1.5 hours to update the ATV2 in my room via wifi but in the end it worked. For some reason I can't update the ATV3 In my lounge which is connected by Ethernet cable. Tried 4 times & keeps saying its unsuccessful even after restart, reset or restore.

Maybe I'll have to connect through wifi to see if it works. Really frustrating as I've NEVER had a problem with ATV updates in any room wired or not:confused:

pvig42

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
London
It took over 1.5 hours to update the ATV2 in my room via wifi but in the end it worked. For some reason I can't update the ATV3 In my lounge which is connected by Ethernet cable. Tried 4 times & keeps saying its unsuccessful even after restart, reset or restore.

Maybe I'll have to connect through wifi to see if it works. Really frustrating as I've NEVER had a problem with ATV updates in any room wired or not:confused:

Like others, I disconnected the Ethernet and updated via wifi & worked within minutes.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Like others, I disconnected the Ethernet and updated via wifi & worked within minutes.

Mine worked with Ethernet on the 2nd attempt.

What was more strange was that I couldn't use airplay - either from mac or ios devices. For some reason the ATV update had actually turned OFF AirPlay in its settings. Turned it back on and boom all works fine now. Very strange that the update changed my settings

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA

What was more strange was that I couldn't use airplay - either from mac or ios devices. For some reason the ATV update had actually turned OFF AirPlay in its settings. Turned it back on and boom all works fine now. Very strange that the update changed my settings

Mine too.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
When I updated my Apple TV 3 back in September with the last software update. I was unable to carry on from the last viewed part of a Podcast.

Can anyone confirm that this bug has been fixed with this latest software update?

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
When I updated my Apple TV 3 back in September with the last software update. I was unable to carry on from the last viewed part of a Podcast.

Can anyone confirm that this bug has been fixed with this latest software update?

I've just updated to the latest software and the problem is still there FFS :mad:

I'll be rolling back to the pre September version later on that's for sure.

pvig42

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
London

I had about 4 attempts with Ethernet but nothing sadly.

I noticed that AirPlay was turned off also which is weird as previous updates didn't turn it off. Strange!!

brandon8419

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Anyone know why I don't have the ability to use airplay? I updated both iTunes and Apple TV but when I click on airplay to stream music to my TV, it only gives me the option to have it keep playing on my computer

edit: nevermind, sharing got turned off when I updated apple TV. All is well :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.