Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I am running ML 10.8.1 right now with Server 2.1.1 and I can't update my iTunes. Is this something Apple set up or what? When I click Software Update, it states no updates available. I have iTunes 10 running.

Anyone else experience this?

I use this to share all of my music to all of my devices. Please post up if anyone else has had this issue. (Not that it's a big deal but, I actually like the new interface.)

(EDIT: Added screen shot.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 12.11.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 12.11.51 PM.png
    542.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
I am running ML 10.8.1 right now with Server 2.1.1 and I can't update my iTunes. Is this something Apple set up or what? When I click Software Update, it states no updates available. I have iTunes 10 running.

Anyone else experience this?

I use this to share all of my music to all of my devices. Please post up if anyone else has had this issue. (Not that it's a big deal but, I actually like the new interface.)

(EDIT: Added screen shot.)

Hi mwhities,

I'm using 10.8.2 Server and was able to get iTunes 11 from Software Update. I also got iTunes 11 from Software Update on a 10.6.8 Server box.

A workaround for you, as I'm sure you already know, it to go to Apple's iTunes web page and manually download iTunes 11 and install it.

Regards,
Switon

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Something is broken in your OS- you should be seeing the 10.8.2 updates too. Are you running the software update service on your server? You may need to enable the latest updates if you are.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Hi mwhities,

I'm using 10.8.2 Server and was able to get iTunes 11 from Software Update. I also got iTunes 11 from Software Update on a 10.6.8 Server box.

A workaround for you, as I'm sure you already know, it to go to Apple's iTunes web page and manually download iTunes 11 and install it.

Regards,
Switon

Thanks.. I will do that, I just gotta figure out why I'm not getting updates. I think my last update was a few weeks ago for an app.. nothing with the OS.

----------

Something is broken in your OS- you should be seeing the 10.8.2 updates too. Are you running the software update service on your server? You may need to enable the latest updates if you are.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with it. I had SU running but, I disabled it and ran "sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL" to default to Apple's servers. Still nothing. I may do a reinstall, I have been "learning" MLS... Changing things here and there.

Thanks and I'll keep this posted.

Last edited:

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
So if I check for updates within iTunes, it shows there is an update.

I select download to update and the App store shows there is no updates.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 3.49.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 3.49.06 PM.png
    229.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 3.49.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 3.49.38 PM.png
    308.9 KB · Views: 114

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
So if I check for updates within iTunes, it shows there is an update.

I select download to update and the App store shows there is no updates.

Again, since you were running the software update service, and aren't shown the 10.8.2 updates, something else is broken. Have you rebooted since you deleted the Software Update server URL? You can also delete the preference file manually, which might work better.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Again, since you were running the software update service, and aren't shown the 10.8.2 updates, something else is broken. Have you rebooted since you deleted the Software Update server URL? You can also delete the preference file manually, which might work better.

Yes, I wasn't previously running (I did start it but, then stopped it a few months ago) software update and then tried before I posted this, with it running.

I had bought the Server.app as I want to learn more about the OS and Server so I could start certing (ACSP/ACMT). I had removed, re-added, configured, and reconfigured so much on the server, I would have spent less time reinstalling/setup then to try to figure it out.

So that's what I did, I installed ML 10.8.1 and then upgraded to 10.8.2 and iTunes11. I was able to get all of the services I wanted to use running and I organized the shares better/differently. It was easier than I imagined but, I guess it was easier as I had everything stored on the spare 750G drive (data doubler) and my 64G SSD drive only had what I downloaded, when I used it as a desktop. So a quick wipe and install. Not sure how long it took but, way faster and cleaner than what it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.