Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Everyone will say it's a stupid idea until Apple release it, then all of a sudden it's the best thing ever and they are so brilliant for doing it, it's so revolutionary, innovative, yada, yada.

Just like the iPad mini.

Exactly right, people also used to admire the weight of the iPhone4 and that light phones felt cheap that was until the 5 came out.

----------

I don't want a bigger phone. I loved the 3,7'' on the 4 and I enjoy the 4'' as well. Samsung Galaxy SII och SIII is just obnoxious. Difficult to hold and use with one hand. At least for us with normal sized hands who are under 7 feet.

A third of an inch makes takes a phone screen from enjoyable to obnoxious... i mean get a grip.

----------

Browsing MacRumors makes it seem like such a huge percentage of iPhone owners want a bigger screen, while that's simply not true... they're just ALL on this forum. If you took a poll of all iPhone users in the country or the world, you'd find that the vast majority do not support a screen increase.

I have never, literally never, met somebody outside of this website who wants a larger screen on the iPhone. And most of my friends have iPhones.

You must be god if you can read every person's mind in the entire world.

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
The iPad mini has me convinced that I need a smaller phone and use my pad for surfing at home. Currently I have a 4.7 inch phone and its too damn big when I can just switch to the iPad for surfing. 4 inch seems like a very good choice for now.

I'll probably get an iPhone 5S when they are out.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal

I love how the image of Jobs holding the phone and squinting trying to see where to touch it proves the point of it being to small. He looks like he is trying to thread a needle. Imagine how comfortable he would look in the same picture only a 5inch 1080 p screen. lol

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
The iphone 5 really seems like the perfect phone, if only apple would update the OS. They really need some change.

Learn a bit from jelly bean perhaps.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I think the screen size isn't the main concern of the people rejecting your 4" + screens. I think the overall size of the phone is what matters to these people. If the screen covered, the whole phone, I don't think people would mind if it didn't affect the touch interface.

Again, the larger screen isn't a problem. People wouldn't mind it because of their eyes. THe main concern here is the overall size of the phone. The current iPhone fits in an average person's pocket very nicely. It is also operational with one hand for most people. Therefore, the current design is great. If they make the screen bigger, that'd be great too, as long as they don't compromise the phones overall size and the battery life.

The developers will be pissed though, if you change the resolution. If you want apple to ignore these people and just increase it to 4.3" or whatever, I think that's just a bit selfish on your part.

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
my mate has a SG3 and while I can appreciate why people would enjoy a bigger screen, it was too awkward to use at times. I'm glad I have a 4 inch phone.

I can't see Apple going any bigger than 4 inch screens but if they did, they would probably find a way of making it less awkward for holding and having a bigger phone in our pockets.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
The current Macbook lineup is far more confusion IMO.

Customer - I want a Mac notebook.

Sales: Ok do you want a light Air or do you want a Macbook Pro with DVD drive or do you want a Retina screen.

Customer: "????????????"

Two iPhones.

4" slim
5" larger "super phone"

Honestly I think the decision has been made and Apple's moving there already. It may take a couple of more revisions but it'll happen.

I agree with this for the most part. Picking a iPhone is really easy

Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, Unlocked

iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4

8GB, 16Gb, 32GB, 64GB

Black, White

That's a lot of possible combos. Not as many choices as Android and defiantly not as many as buying a Macbook but I have seen countless times people in the 5th Avenue Apple store get on line to by an iPhone but then have no clue which one to get and they take an hour to choose.

Apple adding Retina does make it confusing. But the first question I would ask would be, do you need a CD drive? If no yes them on the MBA or Retina. If Yes they have one choice in the MBP original

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I love how the image of Jobs holding the phone and squinting trying to see where to touch it proves the point of it being to small. He looks like he is trying to thread a needle. Imagine how comfortable he would look in the same picture only a 5inch 1080 p screen. lol

or that steve had bad vision ;)

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
This had happened in a cave some where.

Bob needs to bring us longer stick. These 4' sticks are too short. I am sick and tired of getting clawed.

I think 4' sticks are perfect. You can't run with a 5' stick. You trip and fall.

Fred carried a 5' stick and he got a beast today. He didn't get clawed. I tell you: some one need to talk some sense into Bob.

Same argument, different tools. Life goes on.

vaio1990

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
5" phablets are the future. Why delay the inevitable?

Apple are playing too conservative right and they should go back to their roots which made them so successful. Even if they cancel their current lineup and replace it with one phablet, people will still lineup like crazy for it and herald it as the greatest invention since the wheel. Even those conservative 3.5 inchers who eventually adopted and praised the iphone5.

This is what I feel too... It seens inevitable that we will get a phablet from Apple. Samsung galaxy note 2 has been very strong, it's just a matter of time that apple will realize the demand for big phones

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
none of us represents everyone, im just pointing out the rediculousness of his two first posts, first he says that he doesent want a bigger screen, then when someone says that they like the idea, he says that since he doesent like the idea of a larger screen that EVERYONE else in the world doesent also

When you and him buy an iPhone and you say this screen isn't big enough.
While he's saying this screen is big enough.

Then by default you cannot state "we" need a bigger screen. In this scenario "we do not want a bigger screen" is correct, because Yes No and No Yes both mean no. It's basic logic really.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Then stop wearing skinny jeans;)

That would be against the hipster code though...

---------------

I understand why some people want to keep the same size phone as the 5. That's fine with me. But there are other people that would love a larger screen phone, including me. What I don't understand is why people who prefer a smaller sized phone are so against a larger phone as long as Apple still offers a smaller sized screen phone. That's just a wee bit selfish don't you think?

I would love for Apple to rotate every 6 months between a new phone of different sizes. Speaking from a business standpoint it makes sense in a lot of ways to adopt this release cycle:

-Apple already maintains two different sizes. Why not drop the 3.5 in and add a 4.6-5.5in size? Just convert the manufacturing lines that produced the 3.5 in into a larger screen line
-Two sizes means a larger market for Apple to have a chance to gain new customers, and keep existing customers who would like a bigger phone
-Hype for two different iPhones a year means less coverage for competitors. Every time a new Apple product is released, it is all over the news (this is where non tech people are influenced from). I never see this kind of coverage for any competitors' products

But there are also downsides:
-Apple would need to figure out a scaling method for apps
-Product differentiation (this seems to be a weak argument IMO)
-Although Apple maintains different manufacturing lines right now, it does cost more money to do so. It would cost additional money to convert old 3.5in lines into a larger sized screen line
-More R&D money spent (but with Apple's cash reserve this should be a mute point. I mean come on Apple...)
-Apple is scrambling to find manufacturers for their products because of their split with Samsung Manufacturing. Right now might not be the best time as they try to keep production up with their existing products.

The way I see it, Apple could benefit greatly (as would customers) if they were willing to drop some money in the beginning and get over their huge ego (they were wrong as to what customers really wanted). They could recorner the market while keeping their profit margins (the galaxy note II is the most expensive phone subsidized and non subsidized). Because Apple made a concession with the Mini, I believe we could see a near phablet sized phone from Apple soon. The only thing I see holding this back is Apple's ego and their lack of manufacturing power resulting in the split of Apple and Samsung (its really a shame because Samsung was/is the best manufacturer for Apple products (quality and capacity))

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
The iphone 5 really seems like the perfect phone, if only apple would update the OS. They really need some change.

Learn a bit from jelly bean perhaps.

Learn from Cydia!!

----------

4" would be perfect, but apple should have made the ratio a little different, mm or 2 wider and thus a shade shorter.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
The best would be to have a bigger screen without having a bigger phone.

I am sure that in the future Apple will release a bigger screen by going to the edges of the iphone, exactly like the ipad mini.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
When Apple announced the iPhone5, I was apprehensive about upscaling screen size for a "larger" phone. To me, the iPhone4 & 4S were perfectly sized. However, I reasoned that Apple was not going to revert back to the 3.5" screen in the future, so I'd have to upgrade sooner or later and deal with it.

As always, my wife gets my older phone and I upgrade to the newest model (it works for us...don't judge). Using the iP5 for the first week was a bit awkward, but I've grown so used to it that using my wife's (my old one) 4S is like going back to the dark ages.

My point is, I was convinced the 3.5" was perfect and a larger display would diminish the pocket-ability of the phone. I was proven wrong. I cannot imagine going back to the 3.5" screen. So for me to say the 4" is perfect and I would not enjoy something bigger is narrow minded. From now on, I will take a wait-and-see attitude and judge a larger screened phone for what it is.

All this bickering back-and-forth is due chiefly from a lack of options from Apple. "I don't want Apple to increase the size," "I do want Apple to increase the size." It goes on and on and on. What everyone fails to realize is the lack of choice is driving these arguments. Because there is only ONE iPhone choice, everyone wants THEIR preferred screen size to be the end all be all. You just don't get these types of debates in the Mac forums. Why? Choice!!! For the Macbooks, you can get 11", 13", and 15" (something for everyone)...iMacs 21" and 27"

I know many on here will flame me because I have no clue on app scaling, and the fragmented nature a bold move of choice will create. I reason since OSX can handle varying sizes (11" all the way to 27"), I'm sure iOS can handle something between 4" and 7.9". Apple has the resources to figure these technical problems out.

I don't begrudge anyone dead set on 3.5, 4, 4.5, 4.8, 5, etc. What I do hate to see is people so anti-choice. The argument people vote with their wallets is ridiculous. People buy the iPhone, not because of its screen size, but because it is Apple. Increasing choice will not turn a single Apple consumer away. In fact, it would bring more people into the Apple fold. Can you honestly say if a 4" and 5" iPhone were offered, Apple would've sold less phones? Really???

Long post I know, but I'm all about choice so everyone participating in this threaded discussion can enjoy an iOS phone perfectly sized for them.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
The iPad mini has me convinced that We Need a Bigger iPhone!
I want != We need

The argument people vote with their wallets is ridiculous. People buy the iPhone, not because of its screen size, but because it is Apple. Increasing choice will not turn a single Apple consumer away. In fact, it would bring more people into the Apple fold. Can you honestly say if a 4" and 5" iPhone were offered, Apple would've sold less phones? Really???
Not anti choice but do you have a market survey to support this or are you just going on your gut? It should be obvious why Apple doesn't make business decisions based on the gut feelings of any forum user (or even multiple forum users).

It's not just a matter of selling less or more iPhones. These are mass produced products and the demand has to be proven for the R&D, tooling, supply lines and everything else involved that forum armchair experts conveniently disregard when making comments based solely on their particular preferences. What matters is whether or not there is the perception that the new option(s) will sell enough. What a forum user considers to be enough and what Apple considers to be enough are not necessarily the same thing.

People buy the iPhone, not because of its screen size, but because it is Apple.
If that's true then screen size shouldn't matter either way. For any X product there are a number of reasons why people do and do not buy the product. While many are brand-fixated, I like many others, do not simply buy based on the brand. I do own the iPhone but it's not just because of the brand on it.

Voting with dollars does matter. If screen size was a significant enough issue to attract buyers then it would also be significant enough to drive away buyers and the impact should be demonstrable in the sales figures.

My point is, I was convinced the 3.5" was perfect and a larger display would diminish the pocket-ability of the phone. I was proven wrong. I cannot imagine going back to the 3.5" screen. So for me to say the 4" is perfect and I would not enjoy something bigger is narrow minded. From now on, I will take a wait-and-see attitude and judge a larger screened phone for what it is.
It certainly is narrow minded for anyone to assume that they know whether they like or dislike anything that they haven't tried. However, that doesn't mean that everyone that doesn't want a larger screen hasn't tried one. That said, you still have a point in one person (or even many) not wanting an option doesn't by itself mean that an option shouldn't exist. However, proving that there is enough demand for that option is really the important bit. People on forums tend to assume that simply wanting something is justification enough for it to exist.

Last edited:

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Not anti choice but do you have a market survey to support this or are you just going on your gut? It should be obvious why Apple doesn't make business decisions based on the gut feelings of any forum user (or even multiple forum users).

It's not just a matter of selling less or more iPhones. These are mass produced products and the demand has to be proven for the R&D, tooling, supply lines and everything else involved that forum armchair experts conveniently disregard when making comments based solely on their particular preferences.

Voting with dollars does matter. If screen size was a significant enough issue to attract buyers then it would also be significant enough to drive away buyers and the impact should be demonstrable in the sales figures.

If a 4" and a 5" were offered, all those that bought the current iPhone 5 would've purchased it or the 5" model. This is common sense and doesn't require any sort of marketing survey. I have an M.B.A., and don't dispute the opportunity costs associated with tooling for multiple devices. However, this paradigm is thrown out the window by realizing Apple's sales strategy. Do they offer the current iPhone to the global masses at once? No, they feed the world along, country by country as supplies allow.

Now, imagine a world with 2 production facilities. Each producing a separate model, engineered and tooled to produce X amount of devices based off Marketing demand analysis. Not difficult at all! I guess Apple missed the mark when S.Jobs said anything less than a 9" tablet would never work! So his "gut" feeling was proven wrong, as Apple has realized the need to pacify a certain niche.

It's comments like yours that lead to these absurd threads. I'm sure pre iPhone5, you were one of the ones saying Apple could not offer a larger screen than the 3.5 due to tooling, ect.? However, Apple still sells the 4S....how do they do such miraculous things?

Your voting with dollars comment...really? So the 4S was so bad the "demonstrative sales figures" drove Apple to make a 4" model in hope of bringing back sales? What are you talking about? How about Samsung? Looks like they'll be going out of business, because there aren't enough people purchasing those large screened handsets. Stop the press, demonstrative sales figures have spoken....Samsung is going bankrupt. I guess all the millions and millions of people across the globe voted with their wallets prior to the iPhone 5 that a larger screen wasn't necessary. If you owned a pre iPhone5, then you voted too. Wonder why Apple didn't listen to all those millions of votes and decided to change from 3.5" to 4"? I wonder...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Making an Iphone with a larger screen presents many problems such as App size, Battery size etc, etc all have to change.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Making an Iphone with a larger screen presents many problems such as App size, Battery size etc, etc all have to change.

Yeah a larger screen would most likely translate for a larger battery to power the screen and the OS. Apple wanted to make the iPhone 5 light, so that may be the reason why they didn't want to go larger than 4".

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
The beauty of an iOS driven phone is that there is hardly any fragmentation.

Look on the app store right now and tell me how few apps even support the iPhone 5s bigger screen and it's been out for awhile now.

This will not happen until the 3.5" form factor is finally phased out.

I'm guessing they will eventually settle on a 4.3" size but the phone dimensions will remain the same.

Until they can work out something with the battery tech, it has to be this way.

I love the fact the iPhone 5 has managed to keep it light, ok screen size and decent battery compared to Android devices and such.

Last edited:

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Which part? Ive not met one person that can actually surf the web efficiently with the ip5 screen, not one....I own a ip4 and the only sites a can go on are very simple mobile sites and even they are not great.

I prefer browsing the we on my i5 over browsing on my mac or iPad.
you better find yourself better friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.