Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
well this is awful

An unnamed Kansas City Chiefs player has committed suicide at the team facility and authorities are on the scene, the police confirmed to ESPN on Saturday morning.

Local reports say police are operating with the belief the player fatally shot his girlfriend at a house before driving to Arrowhead Stadium and killing himself at around 8 a.m local time. The Associated Press reported the player's age to be 25.

"We can confirm that there was an incident at Arrowhead earlier this morning," the Chiefs said in a statement. "We are cooperating with authorities in their investigation."

There were no other injuries at the team facility, police said.

The Chiefs (1-10) were preparing to host the Carolina Panthers on Sunday.

The NFL has told the Panthers to travel as planned to Kansas City on Saturday, the Charlotte Observer has reported, citing interim general manager Brandon Beane.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8697360/kansas-city-chiefs-player-commits-suicide-team-facility

edit-

A Kansas City Chiefs player fatally shot himself Saturday morning, according to Kansas City, Mo., police. A team source told CBSSports.com that linebacker Jovan Belcher was involved in a shooting at the Chiefs' practice facility.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...police-reportedly-investigating-two-shootings

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Moment of silence for the fallen player.

-silence-

Sucks for anyone regardless of the situation. I'm sure we won't get the real story of why it actually happened.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

-silence-

Sucks for anyone regardless of the situation. I'm sure we won't get the real story of why it actually happened.
The moment should be for the girlfriend who he murdered first.

That said im sure we will here more about head injuries in the NFL and what they are doing to a players mindset.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

-silence-

Moment of silence for the girlfriend and young mother he senselessly killed. They have a 3 month old daughter who is now going to grow up without any parents.

Hopefully the media doesn't end up glorifying this guy because he was a football player while ignoring the fact that he was a MURDERER too.

Such a ****ed up story.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Wow, this is such a tragic story.

ESPN.com said:
Police spokesman Darin Snapp said authorities received a call Saturday morning from a woman who said her daughter had been shot multiple times at a residence about five miles away from the Arrowhead complex. Snapp said a call was then received from the Chiefs' practice facility.

Upon arriving, Snapp said that police witnessed a black male in a car with a handgun to his head talking to two Chiefs officials. That's when police heard a gunshot.

Members of the Chiefs organization told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter some players noticed the shooter was troubled in his car and went in the facility and told someone before Pioli and Crennel called police and went outside to talk to him. The player then killed himself in front of them.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8697360/kansas-city-chiefs-player-commits-suicide-team-facility

I think the NFL should cancel the Chiefs game tomorrow at Arrowhead and award the Panthers a forfeit win.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Wow, this is such a tragic story.

I think the NFL should cancel the Chiefs game tomorrow at Arrowhead and award the Panthers a forfeit win.

It could be postponed until week 17 since neither of these teams will make the playoffs.

But it's the NFL, and since they are money over everything, they'll probably force them to play because of the repercussions on fantasy football. Which is ridiculous.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
USA Today is reporting that the player is LB Jevon Belcher.

USA Today.com said:
12:39PM EST December 1. 2012 - Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend and then committed suicide at the team's practice facility Saturday morning, a person familiar with the details of the shooting told USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because police have not yet made Belcher's identity public.

Police spokesman Darin Snapp told the Associated Press that a Chiefs player killed his girlfriend earlier in the morning and then drove to Arrowhead Stadium where he shot himself in front of Chiefs general Scott Pioli and coach Romeo Crennel.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...chiefs-player-shot-suicide-arrowhead/1738971/

There is no way that the Chiefs/Panthers game should be played tomorrow.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I don't see how the game can be played, unless the players want to play.

From what I have been reading on twitter & such the KC Mayor just said the players DO want to play tomorrow.

edit--

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter
Kansas City Chiefs say they will play the Carolina Panthers as scheduled, Sunday at 1 p.m. ET. http://bit.ly/SxIy35

Last edited:

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
This is a bad decision by everyone involved.

Chiefs - Panthers game still will be played

Well, if the officials, coaches, and players of the Chiefs met and decided they want to play, who are we to say they are wrong?

Neither of these teams are in the playoff hunt so there's no real implications of playing or not, so it might be a good thing for them to bring the community together tomorrow to watch a game.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
What a horrible incident. I feel terrible for the victim and her child. This poor little child is going to grow up without either parent. And this girl had her life cut short so young... Just horrible and sad all around.

What could possibly be so bad that it had to come to that extreme? Couldn't he just have walked out of the house and went to the team complex and taken it out on the weights to let off some steam. just so sad :(

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Well, if the officials, coaches, and players of the Chiefs met and decided they want to play, who are we to say they are wrong?

Neither of these teams are in the playoff hunt so there's no real implications of playing or not, so it might be a good thing for them to bring the community together tomorrow to watch a game.

I guess so. It just doesn't seem right to me.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Get ya hats and t-shirts ready.. :D:D

Patriots are AFC East champions again! 4 in a row and 10 out of the past 12.

See ya'll in the playoffs :D

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
What good will it do when you can't win the big one.:p

Still have more super bowl wins than any other franchise since 2000. And thats with losing the past 2 times they've been there.

Don't worry Brady won't lose 3 in a row. :D

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Still have more super bowl wins than any other franchise since 2000. And thats with losing the past 2 times they've been there.

Don't worry Brady won't lose 3 in a row. :D

I don't think anybody lost 3 super bowls other than Elway. Jim Kelly lost two back to back. Brady can match Jim Kelly and match John Elway but I hope he doesn't.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I don't think anybody lost 3 super bowls other than Elway. Jim Kelly lost two back to back. Brady can match Jim Kelly and match John Elway but I hope he doesn't.

Jim Kelly lost 4 (25, 26, 27, 28).
John Elway lost 3 (21, 22, 24).
Fran Tarkenton lost 3 (8, 9, 11).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.