Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There are multiple reports that some of the new 21.5-inch iMacs are shipping with an "Assembled in USA" label.

Fortune is reporting that one of their readers walked into a San Jose, California Apple Store and purchased an off-the-shelf iMac that was assembled in the United States. During their teardown, iFixIt also found that their iMac was assembled in the USA, as shown in the photo below.

12.12.02-iMac_America.jpg
Fortune acknowledges that this has been noticed online as far back as 2006, though mostly for build-to-order Macs
As it turns out, this is not the first time the assembled-in-USA question has come up. There are several threads on the topic in the Apple support site dating back to 2006. The consensus seems to be that only units made to order -- say, with an extra-high-capacity hard drive -- get their final assembly in the States.
There's a suggestion that the non build-to-order U.S. assemblies are a new phenomenon, but the distinction is far from clear.

Back in 2010, members in the MacRumors forums had reported that they were also receiving new iMacs being labeled as "Assembled in USA", though their exact configurations weren't discussed.

Article Link: Some New iMacs Are Assembled in the USA

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
Wow, I wonder how widespread this is. This is great news, great to see Apple bringing back some manufacturing domestically. I wonder where their factory is.

Prost264

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
Not that Apple needs any publicity, but could you imagine if they announced that they were shifting just some of their production to the United States.

Lead story on the world news.

dbassett

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2005
Would love to see more of this. Better yet, how about some components of the iPhone being made here... One can dream.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
When I worked for Apple, made-to-order iMacs and Mac Pros were mostly assembled in the US. This is not news.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
BMW, Kia and many other companies benefit from "foreign and domestic" components assembled in the USA. Even if the parts are built in china and put together here, I'm all for it. It means that somebody has a job here. Hopefully this trend will continue.

May 8, 2008
It'd be interesting to see some quality control figures between the two countries of assembly.

When I worked for Apple, made-to-order iMacs and Mac Pros were mostly assembled in the US. This is not news.

The article made that quite clear. Glad you can confirm it though. :rolleyes:

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Ah, I get it now.
1TB HD: included.
768GB SSD: ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!! (Assembled in the USA)

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Great news and I'm really glad to see this. I hope we see more and more of this on Apple products in the future, especially on iOS devices. It would be great to see future Apple devices not only say "Designed by Apple in California" but "Designed and Assembled by Apple in California, USA".

By the way, my 27" 2011 BTO iMac does have the Assembled in USA stamp on it. :D

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I tell you, if Apple gave me the choice of selecting my assembly location, USA or China and even if they charged me more for the USA one, I would pick it and pay more. I would home other Americans would do the same!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Perhaps it's part of Apple's 'nounification' phrasure. Like 'iPhone is/iPad is'.

I doubt it's because of that. Without giving any thought into it, I think they just switched the "China" in "Assembled in China" to USA.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
By the way, my 27" 2011 BTO iMac does have the Assembled in USA stamp on it. :D

I just checked my 2009 20" iMac and it too has the Assembled in USA stamp on it. The only thing BTO in it is the hard drive option but really, with the limited options, is any iMac really BTO?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.