Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Don't take the bait man, it's a myiPhone7 thread, he will make a false point and argue it to the death. Just... let it go *pats your shoulders* just let it go.

yep, theres a doozy myiPhone7 thread in the alternate devices forum where he does a hands on comparison of usage between his iphone and a dummy model Galaxy S3

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Is flash drive the same thing as SSD? I meant flash drive I know there couldn't be a spinning disk in there lol

SSD's are based on the same principle and technology yes BUT,

The point is, the difference in performance between the two types of storage is very apparent and you shouldn't compare the two.
The flash based storage in iPhones is not the same as is used in SSD's therefore, they perform in different ways. This plus the fact that iOS is very very good at handeling storage, while a complete operating system like Mac OS X or Windows do not have this privilege.

S

syd430

yep, theres a doozy myiPhone7 thread in the alternate devices forum where he does a hands on comparison of usage between his iphone and a dummy model Galaxy S3

One of his finest. The bent iPhone thread still tops it though.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
on that note with cloud computing, I recently picked up a chromebook and it is perfect if you just need a web browser with a keyboard. Much cheaper than getting a tablet and more functional at $249

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
things in the cloud and we have pretty darn fast LTE speeds (even though I get only 6.5 Mbps avg).

I don't keep songs, videos, or more than a couple apps on my hard drive on the iPhone 5 because I don't watch videos or use most apps on a regular basis.

If I need, for example, Turbo Scan, I just download it in like 2 sec.

I think this is better because it keeps my iPhone 5 clean.

In the past this was hard because of 3G was too slow and no cloud

Let me know how that works out for you on a plane or in an area without service. The Cloud is ONLY good for backup, there's no point in storage that is inaccessible at any given time. It doesn't matter how fast your connection speed is if you can't actually get to your media.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
on that note with cloud computing, I recently picked up a chromebook and it is perfect if you just need a web browser with a keyboard. Much cheaper than getting a tablet and more functional at $249

It's too big for its function. Heck even an iPhone 5 does more than that thing. I'd rather buy an ultra book. Price is fine.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's too big for its function. Heck even an iPhone 5 does more than that thing. I'd rather buy an ultra book. Price is fine.

That is just it, the size is prefect for what it is. I use my ipad on the couch and surfing sites I mostly read on, but when it comes to forums I like to have a keyboard. Using a keyboard with an ipad becomes too cumbersome for me. If you know what you are getting with a chromebook it is a great tablet alternative

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
things in the cloud and we have pretty darn fast LTE speeds (even though I get only 6.5 Mbps avg).

I don't keep songs, videos, or more than a couple apps on my hard drive on the iPhone 5 because I don't watch videos or use most apps on a regular basis.

If I need, for example, Turbo Scan, I just download it in like 2 sec.

I think this is better because it keeps my iPhone 5 clean.

In the past this was hard because of 3G was too slow and no cloud

Your whole argument falls flat if you don't have an unlimited data plan. That and they're going the way of the T-Rex.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Is flash drive the same thing as SSD? I meant flash drive I know there couldn't be a spinning disk in there lol

SSD's use Flash. The technology between the flash ICs, SSDs, HDDs, etc. are irrelevant to this discussion.

Lots of applications mindlessly installed on a Desktop OS tends to have a slowing effect because those apps are free to adjust registry and core bits of the OS to setup startup and background processes.

iOS is heavily locked down, all apps are sandboxed. There is little to no chance except in error for there to be startup or background processes causing the device to get 'jammed up'.

It's restrictive yes, and one of the reasons iPhones are divisive products. Android/OS community hates the lock down, some of us who are fans, love the security and clean operation.

If you want more speed, try disabling some of the Spotlight databases index locations. The huge logs of messages and emails, and apps that it indexes for quick searching.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
What does that mean?

You're basically talking nonsense!

Really i hate you techno nerds. Yes the iphone and other ios prducts havbe all digital memory and dont have conventional hard drives, but come on, did you really n ot know what he meant?

pople like you annoy the heck out of me, he was obviously talking about the storage

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Really i hate you techno nerds. Yes the iphone and other ios prducts havbe all digital memory and dont have conventional hard drives, but come on, did you really n ot know what he meant?

pople like you annoy the heck out of me, he was obviously talking about the storage

That was not the point I was discussing.

He kept saying things like keeping the device "Clean" and that it "Doesn't get jammed up".

Those are complete nonsense - nobody else in the thread has disagreed with that.

The Hard Drive comment was an aside and it's not a big deal.

What I really hate is people that can't follow a thread properly and then resort to breaking the rules by posting insults.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Well not really. The more you put on a computer (the iPhone 5 is basically a computer) it slows down

You are completely wrong. On a computer, yes. On an iOS device? No way. It won't slow down at all. You can fill it as much as you want and not notice a difference.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Its been noted that iPhone's camera app will take longer to open when the phone is nearly full and there little storage remaining for pics. I definitely noticed this on my iPhone 4 32 GB when I was on my last 1 GB. There was 16GB worth of pics and video. I now have the 64GB iPhone 5, it is half full and there is no lag opening the camera app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.