Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:29 AM   #101
markieg
macrumors member

i hate apple adverts they are so cheesy.....
markieg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:49 AM   #102
BC2009
macrumors 68000

So Apple missed the opportunity to say "you can share any of your photos with only the people you want whether they are standing next to you or are thousands of miles away"

The NFC-sharing feature that Samsung touts is so useless to me. I can't imagine saying to somebody "hey, come over here so I can share some photos with you". Photo Stream is sooooo much easier. An whenever I add new photos to a stream then folks get update messages saying they have more photos waiting for them. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
BC2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:09 PM   #103
incoherent1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
These guys are insane.

Nokia had a commercial showing off the camera on their Lumia, except they used a different camera and doctored the ad. Well, they got a ton of flak for false advertising:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...demonstration/

These people on here basically want Apple to falsely advertise the iPhone 5 camera because the photos look "yellow"?

Is this the bizarro world?
Quote:
Originally Posted by throys View Post
This just shows you how much noobs are here and that you can NEVER please everyone. Apple ADS just goes to the point which is always what your device can do for you and not some big comparison. I havent seen anY APPLE ADS bashing another company yet.
Not trying to start a flame war, but as a photographer who uses my 4S A LOT (in addition to two full frame DSLRs, so I know the difference), you can easily take & produce MUCH better photos with an iPhone than this. I don't think anyone here disputes the fact that there are many ads for the iPhone (including earlier generations) that have much better photos. Heck, I remember some much better photos from the Keynotes of the 4 and 4S that were taken with pre-release, prototype models, that were awesome.

And for what it's worth, I'm not bemoaning the death of the company like some on here would and do (I think the Orchestra ad is clever, although I'm not in love with it).

I also don't know why anything in this conversation warrants calling anyone on here a "noob". Can we just focus on having friendly conversations about the products we all enjoy?
incoherent1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:21 PM   #104
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShort View Post
They used a noise cancellation chip from a new company. And it sounds like a beta chip. It's hopeless compared to Nokia's HD calling and noise cancellation technology.
Calls from my Nokia to another Nokia sound so crisp, calls to an iPhone 5 have the HD calling but sound is fuzzy and the background noise is there.
Also Nokia manages to do it with 2 mics not three.
Yeah, Nokia is the pinnacle of telecommunications hardware...

----------

The quality is probably poorer than usual because these photos are in poorly lit areas. To be realistic for thanksgiving this is unavoidable. With the phones small lens, low light severely reduces quality, and I think this is why the quality is lacking in this video compared to previous apple camera demonstrations.

At least they're being honest.

I have a 4s and I have to say, in well lit areas, the camera on my iphone is very, very good.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:27 PM   #105
MacDav
Banned

Good ads, not great, but straight to the point about features that will sell iPhones.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:56 PM   #106
joeshmo2010
macrumors 6502a

lol, i like how that iphone in the first ad is on LTE while on the call. Too bad that doesnt happen in real life apple!
joeshmo2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:03 PM   #107
shigzeo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to shigzeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by incoherent1 View Post
Not trying to start a flame war, but as a photographer who uses my 4S A LOT (in addition to two full frame DSLRs, so I know the difference), you can easily take & produce MUCH better photos with an iPhone than this. I don't think anyone here disputes the fact that there are many ads for the iPhone (including earlier generations) that have much better photos. Heck, I remember some much better photos from the Keynotes of the 4 and 4S that were taken with pre-release, prototype models, that were awesome.

And for what it's worth, I'm not bemoaning the death of the company like some on here would and do (I think the Orchestra ad is clever, although I'm not in love with it).

I also don't know why anything in this conversation warrants calling anyone on here a "noob". Can we just focus on having friendly conversations about the products we all enjoy?
I guess I just don't get it. If te photo came out with perfect white balance - something not possible without natural or professional lighting (you can only get jpeg from an iPhone anyway), the photos would scream studio, not family/friend gathering.

Btw, everyone is a photographer, regardless their equipment. And I think apple did a good job illustrating that fact.
shigzeo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:03 PM   #108
sbrhwkp3
macrumors 6502

I really hate this guys voice. I think he's terrible.
sbrhwkp3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:37 PM   #109
CShort
macrumors regular

Photos

With the photos. Apples adverts are clearly a demonstration and are not meant to be realistic at all, e.g. the orchestra so it's okay if the photos are fake (though the comments on photo quality are noted).

Nokia was bashed because they tried to do the same thing, but the keynote "teaser" video made it look like it was the actual phone and they didn't convey that it was a demonstration. So they rightly received a bashing. At the keynote it was more obvious that the videos were demonstrative and not shot with the phone but not everyone saw that (there also was one real video at the keynote and they made a point of that).
CShort is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:57 AM   #110
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
I agree with the comment about the photos; it was the first thing I thought as well. They all have that artificial light tint to them that us "amateurs" often experience. I would think for a commercial they would have used higher quality pics.
If they used a commercial photo that wasn't taken with the camera, they would've had to suffer embarrassment for using a simulated photo. I'd rather they stay with a realistic photo.
They could get a really nice looking photo if they used natural lighting, but most of these dinners don't really allow for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGabbay View Post
They could release 2 new ads for the iPhone on the week when everyone is off but they can't release iTunes 11.
I won't begrudge apple's employees the chance to spend time with their families this week. If that means I have to wait a couple of weeks, so be it.

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Nov 23, 2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Cleaned up off topic/PRSI content
eastercat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:00 AM   #111
kahkityoong
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
As usual, apple takes a novel implementation, and makes it look extremely archaic. They make photostream look like a simple facebook-type sharing feature, when it's really much more. This is why apple loses credibility and short-changes their innovative ideas. Stupid stupid stupid ad campaign. They would be worth a $trillion by now if they did a better job explaining why their implementations are better than the ones that have been out there for 4+ years.
Wrong.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:11 AM   #112
kahkityoong
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepak1157 View Post
They all have which artificial light tint in their eyes that you "amateurs" often experience. I might think for a retail they could used top quality photographs. .
Why? Because everyone who shares their Thanksgiving dinner photos have them professionally taken and retouched? The yellow cast is from tungsten lighting which will occur whether it's an amateur or professional taking the shot when using auto colour balance. It's usually removed using software.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:41 PM   #113
beetlemanptm
macrumors member

Saw the "Turkey" and the "Orchestra" ad during the Houston Texans-Detroit Lions Thanksgiving Day game on CBS today.

Last edited by beetlemanptm; Nov 22, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
beetlemanptm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:46 PM   #114
sransari
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahkityoong View Post
Wrong.
so i take it you're one of those who is impressed by the functionality of sending a picture?
iPad 4th Gen Retina, iFone 5S
sransari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:06 PM   #115
kahkityoong
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
Btw, everyone is a photographer, regardless their equipment. And I think apple did a good job illustrating that fact.
Er, no. By that logic everyone with a pen is an author too.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:05 AM   #116
ellsworth
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
Why does it matter? Don't you want to know what network you're connected to?

----------

Cropped for the commercial.

My bill that comes to my doorstep every month is all I need as a reminder
ellsworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:14 PM   #117
beetlemanptm
macrumors member

Saw the "Turkey" and the "Orchestra" ad during the Pittsburgh Steelers-Cleveland Browns game on CBS today.

Last edited by beetlemanptm; Nov 25, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:39 PM   #118
beetlemanptm
macrumors member

Saw the "Turkey" ad during Monday Night Football tonight.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion