Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

champ01

Was about to order the new iMac. Seeing how Apple made it (again) planned obsolescence I"ll say *uck them.

This is typical screwing your customers. You wanna upgrade, repair or anything go buy a new one. You want warranty? Pay more because our products are so well build we know it must break after a year. Apple care = screw your costumers.

First they *uck up the the Mac mini. Then the Mac Pro does not get a real update. Now the iMac is again a piece of ****.

They also lack on Pro Applications.

Apple is becoming a real joke. They screwed over the whole Pro community.
Btw I own a company thats only focused on Apple compatible gear. As the way things are going I think I'm choosing another company who actually cares and build long lasting products not junk.

Apple got millions on the bank yet they *uck everything up. When is enough enough!? Apple has become the same ***** company they said they were fighting against. whats left is an egocentric company how only cares for more dollars in their pockets.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
If you want a DVD in a computer, you open up the computer and install it - adding it to the actual computer.

Plugging in a DVD player to your TV is the equivalent of plugging a USB DVD Rom drive into your computer. It's nowhere near comparable to physically opening up the computer to replace or install a part.

But the final result is equivalent. Installing a DVD inside the computer functions just as well as plugging it into a USB port. Arrangement on the desktop might be a bit different, but spending 3 seconds plugging a USB cable has the same capability as spending 30 minutes tearing the box open & rearranging innards.
So...why bother?
Upgrading an AIO is just as easy as upgrading a TV: a few seconds of plugging in external boxes; if you want to upgrade the guts of the AIO, you really want to just replace the whole thing for a balanced and verified operation.

If tinkering with innards is your hobby, great. I've been there, done that, liked it, know the hassles, don't want to do it again because I'm too busy using the machine for more profitable activities.

----------

I own a company thats only focused on Apple compatible gear.

Ah, the ulterior motive arises.

If your income depends on :apple: products being incomplete and subject to modification, why yes you'll be peeved off by :apple: doing a complete and closed job for most users.

Indeed, you'll be happier addressing the growing Android market. Lots of incomplete implementations there.

----------

Just replace the HDD with a SSD.

A 1TB HDD runs about $100.
A 1TB SSD runs, what, 10x that?

Your analogy is more like replacing the engine - the whole engine as a near-drop-in unit - with an electric motor. Not that hard for what it is, has lots of benefits in doing so, cost...welll...

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Was about to order the new iMac. Seeing how Apple made it (again) planned obsolescence I"ll say *uck them.

This is typical screwing your customers. You wanna upgrade, repair or anything go buy a new one. You want warranty? Pay more because our products are so well build we know it must break after a year. Apple care = screw your costumers.

First they *uck up the the Mac mini. Then the Mac Pro does not get a real update. Now the iMac is again a piece of ****.

They also lack on Pro Applications.

Apple is becoming a real joke. They screwed over the whole Pro community.
Btw I own a company thats only focused on Apple compatible gear. As the way things are going I think I'm choosing another company who actually cares and build long lasting products not junk.

Apple got millions on the bank yet they *uck everything up. When is enough enough!? Apple has become the same ***** company they said they were fighting against. whats left is an egocentric company how only cares for more dollars in their pockets.

Ya gotta chill dude. Count to ten. Take a deep breath. There ya go...

Seriously. I know plenty of friends who are "pros" and using iMacs and even Mac minis to produce a lot of really creative work. The great thing about being a pro, is that you are productive...and hopefully making money off your work. Money you can use to upgrade your computers down the road should you need to.

It's really not as bad as ya think. Remember...whatever you focus on in life tends to expand. Focus on being productive, and you'll be much happier. And please don't be a victim, and say you cant be productive on Apple's current line of computers....or I will have to come over there and smack you upside the head with my ipad mini. Lol

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

1993, Apple Colour Classic... Upgradeable RAM via an easily removed logic board, and had a PDS slot.

1997, Apple PowerMac 5500... Upgradeable RAM via a similar slot mounted logic board. Also had a PCI slot.

Note as well in the pic above, Apple's first LCD all-in-one - the TAM - which had a removable back cover, giving access to upgrade the RAM, HDD, CommII and PCI slots...

Just because it's an all in one design does NOT mean it needs to lack upgradeability...

Because it's ridiculously thin, is why there is no upgradeability... I don't care about the lost optical drive... but not giving user upgradeable RAM or HDD options on a desktop machine is an insult to any Mac user with a modicum of knowledge...

What a beautiful design the Color Classic was...that's for sure.

Renzatic

Suspended
If tinkering with innards is your hobby, great. I've been there, done that, liked it, know the hassles, don't want to do it again because I'm too busy using the machine for more profitable activities.

If time is money, I'm sure spending the roughly 30 seconds it takes to pop in new ram, or the 3.5 minutes it takes to install a new drive is a helluva lot easier than running out to buy a new machine just because you don't want to tinker with the innards.

If you don't ever need to do it, then more power to you. But if you need more internal HDD space or ram, it's so much easier buying a couple hundred bucks worth of parts that take literally minutes to install than it is ordering a new computer from Apple, spending an hour or so copying all your data over between computers, then selling your old machine on Craigslist or eBay? Yeah, that's so much more convenient.

Being able to upgrade your own parts leaves you so much extra time for your power brunches.

A 1TB HDD runs about $100.
A 1TB SSD runs, what, 10x that?

Your analogy is more like replacing the engine - the whole engine as a near-drop-in unit - with an electric motor. Not that hard for what it is, has lots of benefits in doing so, cost...welll...

Replacing an HDD is nothing like replacing an engine. For one, just about any idiot can replace a hard drive. It (should be) screws go out, plugs go here, screws go in. All you need is a screwdriver and maybe the tiniest bit of common sense. A engine? That takes a ton of specialized equipment and at least a day of solid work.

Ram's even easier. All you have to do is possess enough cognitive abilities to match the red shapes to the black ones and you can install your own memory...

ramholes.jpg

If someone can't do this, I'm surprised they're able to use a computer for anything beyond BEAVER SMASH KILL FOR FOOD EAT!

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
I would agree with this 100% except for one little detail. The OS. I don't find the Apple hardware to be anything special. It's the OS I'm after.

If I could install it on a system of my choosing, you can bet it wouldn't be a closed architecture like iMac where I'm screwed if my hard drive fails or my system needs more RAM to work better. Apple hardware IS overpriced, but I pay it so I can get what I beleive is the best desktop OS.

I don't like Windows. Plain and simple. I would go with Linux, but it doesn't have the mass hardware support I need and the software, while some if it is pretty good, just doesn't compare with what is written for Windows or Mac OS. Mac OS is my choice due to the hardware/software support (by hardware I mean peripherals) and it's UNIX which works very well with my job as a Linux sysadmin. Linux for desktop use still isn't there.

That is a really good point. I never had issues with Windows and will start using it again on my desktop purchase (whatever that ends up being) and possibly my mobile laptop/tablet, I find it a little fugly though but nothing I can't tidy up. I'd rather use OSX on a better choice of hardware if I could.

They are the other mainstream OS whether they like it or not, and in my view some of the hardware options and decisions they have made might as well fall under class action lawsuit status from enough users. Only reason I say that is seeing some of the stupid lawsuits company's sue each other for. Company's aren't our friends and that swings both ways.

Those bastards should be FORCED to make a wider selection of Macs. Get that mid tower out finally, and should be looked into for that strange static pricing as well while we are at it. Some people invested thousands of dollars of software and are going to be having their machines unable to get OS updates like the 08' (I think) Mac Pro did. To me that is clear cut BS they should not be getting away with either.

MS got it for netscape. And I found that nothing MS ever did comes close to what Apple does as far as bastardly things. Not even a contest.

Last edited by a moderator:

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Those bastards should be FORCED to make a wider selection of Macs.

I miss the mid-price Mac towers of yesteryear as much as anybody and really wish Apple would bring them back, but in what twisted reality can a tech company be forced to produce a specific product?

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
I miss the mid-price Mac towers of yesteryear as much as anybody and really wish Apple would bring them back, but in what twisted reality can a tech company be forced to produce a specific product?

None sadly. Only if consumers didn't buy up the mini at all and non stop requested an actual mid tower over that gimmicky thing. Okay I started laughing a bit to much, Apple consumers not buying any product Apple makes is a real stretch. They have the "wii" casual crowd now, just shove i3's in the entry level stuff and make a hundred more profit. Tim should stop being a female organ and do it.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
None sadly. Only if consumers didn't buy up the mini at all and non stop requested an actual mid tower over that gimmicky thing. Okay I started laughing a bit to much, Apple consumers not buying any product Apple makes is a real stretch. They have the "wii" casual crowd now, just shove i3's in the entry level stuff and make a hundred more profit. Tim should stop being a female organ and do it.

Maybe we should start a Kickstarter fund to buy Tim a new Ferrari if he'll bring back the Power Mac. :)

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Maybe we should start a Kickstarter fund to buy Tim a new Ferrari if he'll bring back the Power Mac. :)

We could do that. My idea was from the south park where all the guys here get naked get into a big pile in front of 1 infinite loop and just start humping on each other till we get more choices.

Idea could be similar to the show, that if all guys go gay then there wont be any future for people to buy Apple products. :p

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Nothing wrong with working on your own car. I did it for decades (mainly out of necessity). But don't buy a 2012 Mercedes and expect to work on it like it's a 1965 Mustang.

My favourite post this year!!! Would still like to have been given the option of upgrading the memory of the 21' machine though. Just as I'd like to be able to change the oil in any car I own (but very rarely do these days)

----------

How do I "get home" when my iMac's hard drive fails?

Time machine (and I know you have issues with that so partly tongue in mouth)

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
My idea was from the south park where all the guys here get naked get into a big pile in front of 1 infinite loop and just start humping on each other till we get more choices.

Umm...I think I'll stick with the Kickstarter idea. :eek: ;)

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
What a beautiful design the Color Classic was...that's for sure.

It was darn cute, eh... And when it was shown to me at an Apple Centre, with its little door to remove the logic board, I was mightily impressed! What a great idea... Such innovation over the old Classic design that required some very specific tools to open.

Now the innovation is in reverse.

Lou3000

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
A couple questions...

...that probably don't have answers, but are simply things I've thought about in relation to this repairability argument.

1. What percentage of people buy the 21.5 that a) would want to upgrade their memory down the road, and b) would do it even if it was as easy as flipping open a door on the back. I for one know that my parents have an iMac and they will probably just buy a new one in about 5 years when it starts getting "slow."

2. Also, what percentage of people who buy the 21.5 and want to upgrade wouldn't be willing to crack the thing open. Based on the early teardown images , it appears that, if you are willing, you could get to the RAM and HDD. I always sort of assumed that the type of person that really needs a quad core computer with 32gb of RAM and a 3TB HDD probably a) got the 27 (or a MacPro), and b) is willing to tinker.

3. Finally, isn't the nature of computer improvement going to make these computers obsolete regardless of how much upgradeability there is. Short of allowing you to completely replace the internals, you would eventually run up against processor, motherboard, screen and system limitations. I've got 8 years out of a G5 iMac, it isn't just the fact that I can't switch one or two parts that is making it obsolete.

Honestly, my biggest complaint with Apple isn't that the computers are hard to upgrade or expensive to service, it is the fact that their software is making the computers obsolete far faster than the hardware. My Core Duo laptop can't upgrade to Mountain Lion? Can't I at least get a crippled version? Nope.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia

1993, Apple Colour Classic... Upgradeable RAM via an easily removed logic board, and had a PDS slot.

1997, Apple PowerMac 5500... Upgradeable RAM via a similar slot mounted logic board. Also had a PCI slot.
I was looking at buying a 5500 (or similar model) back in the day but couldn't afford it at the time.

Note as well in the pic above, Apple's first LCD all-in-one - the TAM - which had a removable back cover, giving access to upgrade the RAM, HDD, CommII and PCI slots...

Just because it's an all in one design does NOT mean it needs to lack upgradeability...

Because it's ridiculously thin, is why there is no upgradeability... I don't care about the lost optical drive... but not giving user upgradeable RAM or HDD options on a desktop machine is an insult to any Mac user with a modicum of knowledge...

I think most of us could live with an iMac that has a removable back or panels to access the HDD/SSD, RAM and other parts. It's a shame Apple couldn't make the new iMac with a hinged LCD panel like the HP one but a lot thinner and way cooler!

Honestly, my biggest complaint with Apple isn't that the computers are hard to upgrade or expensive to service, it is the fact that their software is making the computers obsolete far faster than the hardware. My Core Duo laptop can't upgrade to Mountain Lion? Can't I at least get a crippled version? Nope.

+1

My G5 Tower is still a good computer, fast enough for most day to day jobs and even using Photoshop but it's showing its age with frequent crashes which don't appear to be hardware related. I'm stuck on Leopard and can't even get the latest flash to make Firefox work better.

Most computers have about 5 years of usable life so say if you get a top iMac with some extras you'll pay about $3000, that's $600 per year. Not including any extras you might buy along the way or upgrading expensive software like Photoshop. You might get some of your $3k back in 5 year but most of the time you probably pass if down though the family or keep it as a backup.

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Umm...I think I'll stick with the Kickstarter idea. :eek: ;)

Makes sense :p

That is my biggest issue as well. I paid right at 1k for my MBP 13" 2011, I would expect to have five years minimum of OS upgrades/support. These aren't cheap prices no matter which way you slice it. win8 from what I see runs on a pretty large variety of older hardware and it seems to run well from what I read. I am sure some older PC's chug along.

Snow Leopard which is 3 now didn't receive security updates to Safari which I find horrible. Not much you can do I guess but we can complain on the internet which is fun and gets that frustration out at least.

I dont understand why no one else has really gave it a go on doing the software and hardware like Apple does. Someone has to see that it works well. Google doing the Nexus line and MS surface don't really count as the same thing to me, I am talking more of someone like Dell just going all out and have that large lineup with the integration Apple has. If you don't like Dell then insert someone else there.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I dont understand why no one else has really gave it a go on doing the software and hardware like Apple does. Someone has to see that it works well. Google doing the Nexus line and MS surface don't really count as the same thing to me, I am talking more of someone like Dell just going all out and have that large lineup with the integration Apple has. If you don't like Dell then insert someone else there.

I think it will need someone with an ecosystem like google or amazon to crack what Apple have. But there is some way to go still. Windows is getting better so maybe google or amazon can come up with a piece of kit that blows Apple out of the water for being complacent. It always happens in the history of tech and can't see it somehow sparing apple

trakh

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Too bad.

Hello MacRumors community. I've been a spectator to the blog and forums here for years. Decided I'd finally join, unfortunately my first posts will be to voice my disappointment in the new iMacs.

I've owned Macbook Pros since the first, right at the switch from Intel. Hackintoshed my girlfriends Dell before that. Have been a pretty big fan of OS X and iTunes up until the last year or so.

I'm sad to see Apple is no longer a company that builds quality computers like they once did. They are relying on gimmicks or cheap thrills or 'wow factor' like the retina display (powered by inadequate hardware for decent performance on the MBPr) or the ultra-thin desktop.

I am unfortunately "forced" to buy Mac computers to continue software development on the iOS platform. I've been waiting patiently for this iMac release with eyes set on the 27-inch model. But with all the effort Apple puts into stopping any long term use by means of user upgradability (bad enough it's an all-in-one), this iMac is not for me.

Apple is no longer a company I want to support. I will still buy a Mac for iOS development, but it will be the cheapest I can. It might be the last.

The only thing that Apple hears is dollars and sales. Unless you want to support these greedy choices to make crippled short-life products, I urge others to speak with their wallets as well.

Besides, Windows is really good these days.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
That goes hand & hand with Apples target market. The USA leads when it comes to tolerant consumers living in a throwaway society. The concept of "maintenance & repair" has no appeal to the average consumer.

Rather than do the math, manage their finances & be fiscally sound. It's much more fashionable to buy, buy, buy. Amassing debt, keeping the credit card companies fat, and having expensive possessions they only think they own.

----------

Agreed!

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
IF you have any ideas, suggestions, complaints, tell Apple directly.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

It's the way you can submit what you want and maybe they'll do it.

You, sir, must be new to Apple, or a completely naive person. Apple does not listen to customers. Apple tells you what you should want. There's a reason for this. Apple basically targets the median consumer market. If you're out of that median bell curve, you can ask until you bleed, and Apple will just say politely to you, "We can't please everyone. Everyone else loves our products". Just go google the survey where people have been pleading with Apple for 6 years to bring back non-reflective screens. I mean, even the new 2012 iMac has reflections, and there are people who can't have even those 25% reflections. Seriously, you need to be around the Apple community for a few years to realise that Apple just does what most people want, i.e. makes more money, and Apple really cannot care a stuff about listening to anyone on the periphery.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
You're missing the point. People won't care what Apple charges if the RAM is accessible. They can then make the choice to build to order, (and pay Apple prices if they choose), or upgrade when the necessity or fancy takes them.
A lot of manufacturers nowadays are making things proprietary in many industries and this is not consumer centric. We have bodies saying consumer is king and then manufacturers doing this.
I have no problem with that but I believe that governments should impose a levy on companies that make goods in this manner, and those that use non compostible/recycleabe/biodegradeable packaging etc etc.....Mind you the big companies will find a clever way around it.

Of cause no one will care about Apple's RAM prices if you can change your own ram. No one will pay Apple's prices they'll just do it 3rd party cheaper. People just always assume 3rd party is cheaper. And in this case 3rd party is cheaper.

If 3rd party cost the same as Apple Ram, I know I'd get Apple to do it. Mess stiff I have to fiddle with. And less time wasted inserting ram. Most people don't care if their device has proprietary parts that are not user serviceable. They only cry that it's too expensive or takes too long to get these non user accessible parts upgraded or serviced. If the Apple ram suddenly was $20 cheaper with your mac order then 3rd party, I'm sure everyone would be "oh get your ram with Apple, less hassle and cheaper".

You are basically saying no one will care about a feature (Apple ram above stock amounts) on Macs with user accessible ram ports because no one will ever use it.

I think you see my point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.