Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:58 PM   #1
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Finder and NTFS Drives...

As a Windows user for 20+ years who is in the process of moving to a Mac I have a number of NTFS formatted drives such as a 2.0 TB WD My Passport...I am using these drives for a number of purposes...

I have noticed that when I attach / mount these drives to my MBA some but all of the Windows hidden / system files appear...for example, when I attach / mount my 2.0 TB WD My Passport drives the files $RECYCLE.BIN and "System Volume Information" are displayed / shown...

Is there are way -- as there is in Windows -- to prevent these files from showing on the Mac or, is it as I suspect, this is not possible because while these files are Windows system files they are not OS X system files which explains why "only some" of the Windows system files appear [i.e. continuing with the above example, there are some Windows system files that do not appear on OS X which I am assuming is a result of being a system file in both Windows and OS X].

Thanks so much,

Joel
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:14 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
As a Windows user for 20+ years who is in the process of moving to a Mac I have a number of NTFS formatted drives such as a 2.0 TB WD My Passport...I am using these drives for a number of purposes...

I have noticed that when I attach / mount these drives to my MBA some but all of the Windows hidden / system files appear...for example, when I attach / mount my 2.0 TB WD My Passport drives the files $RECYCLE.BIN and "System Volume Information" are displayed / shown...

Is there are way -- as there is in Windows -- to prevent these files from showing on the Mac or, is it as I suspect, this is not possible because while these files are Windows system files they are not OS X system files which explains why "only some" of the Windows system files appear [i.e. continuing with the above example, there are some Windows system files that do not appear on OS X which I am assuming is a result of being a system file in both Windows and OS X].

Thanks so much,

Joel
This is also the other way around, if you mount a HFS+ disk in windows(With other software) it will show MacOS files as well.

What can you do about it, probably not much.
If I had access to a windows machine I would try out something for you, like make those files invisible in OS X and then look if it still works in Windows, sadly can not help you here.

Be careful if you do so, you could mess up the disk, although I think that if you mount them in OS X again and make them visible again there would be no damage.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:11 PM   #3
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
This is also the other way around, if you mount a HFS+ disk in windows(With other software) it will show MacOS files as well.

What can you do about it, probably not much.
If I had access to a windows machine I would try out something for you, like make those files invisible in OS X and then look if it still works in Windows, sadly can not help you here.

Be careful if you do so, you could mess up the disk, although I think that if you mount them in OS X again and make them visible again there would be no damage.
Appreciate you confirming my suspicion...I will leave things as they are...
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store