Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Has anyone received their high-end 21.5" and tried out games on it? If so, how did it go?

I basically am looking to play some older games on it... Dragon Age: Origins, maybe Fallout 3. I assume they will do okay since the former plays pretty well on my Air using medium settings.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Has anyone received their high-end 21.5" and tried out games on it? If so, how did it go?

I basically am looking to play some older games on it... Dragon Age: Origins, maybe Fallout 3. I assume they will do okay since the former plays pretty well on my Air using medium settings.

They should run no prob at medium/high settings at the 21.5" native resolution.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
The retina MacBook Pro has a 650m go look at gaming benchmarks of that, it will most likely get similar performance :)

rMBP has 1GB of RAM for the video card, right? So the performance may be slightly different.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Never mind, jeeehzz only 512 mb it may differ a little, personally I would (if money doesn't matter) upgrade to the 27" for future proofing :)

I consider any gaming I do on this machine to be a bonus, it's not a priority for me. I'd love to get the 27" with the 680, but can't justify an extra $600 just for that (plus it would look a bit ridiculous on my desk).

Guess I'll just have to be future "proof" for everything but gaming. :(

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
But it would still be adequate for what you want, and would definitely be able to play them on medium to maybe even high settings :)

I can play about 75% of the game on high settings with my Air, though the fan sounds like it is going to explode. :p

I assume with a dedicated graphics card (even a mediocre one) it will play pretty well. I won't expect any current games to play on anything better than low settings. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks.

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I will try far cry 3 tomorrow so be patient. I dont expect any monstreous performance though

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Well if you can play them on your air, you should be fine, I couldn't find any actual benchmarks for fallout but i found this...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

Scroll to the bottom, you should get around these benchmarks on games, which is still fine, there's no point in spending unnecessary money if not needed :)

Looks pretty middle-of-the-road, which I expected. I guess I'll find out... I can always return it. The 27" would just be so obnoxious in my living room... if I were to give in and buy it just for the 680, I think I'd need to see a therapist. :)

Jay9495

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Looks pretty middle-of-the-road, which I expected. I guess I'll find out... I can always return it. The 27" would just be so obnoxious in my living room... if I were to give in and buy it just for the 680, I think I'd need to see a therapist. :)

HAHAHAHAH it is pretty big, ill be surprised if I can fit it through my door to get it into my room

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.