Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
S

syd430

Yawn. I am very rough on my phone. I work construction and have dropped my phone about 5 times so far. Has not bent at all.

Your post is the equivalent of going over to the Retina Macbook IR thread and saying "guys I have rMBP with an LG screen with no image retention issues, therefore you are all lying"

As for your iphone 5, give it a bit more time ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Yawn. I am very rough on my phone. I work construction and have dropped my phone about 5 times so far. Has not bent at all.
No one at any time said that dropping the iPhone 5 caused it to bend. The bends come from sitting on it, bumping into a counter with it in your pocket, bending over with it in a snug front pocket and/or having it overheat (we all know how hot these things get from the battery) and then stressed. A tight rigid case may also force an overheated phone that has soft metal trying to expand, to bow at it's weakest point (the volume controls).

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
My phone is starting to bend too. I usually don't post on stuff like this but its affecting me. I take care of my iPhone like crazy (front and back shield plus a case). I noticed my case (PowerSupport) was coming off on the left side where the volume buttons are. Then I took off the case completely and noticed that my iPhone wasn't straight. If you out it on the table the button side is bend. This sucks. Now it's gonna waste one trade in of my Apple Care Plus. I hope they don't use one cause this wasn't my fault.

The case likely let your phone warm up to a point where the metals expanded but had nowhere to go, buckling it at the weakest point (therefore your power support buckled out).

BigWigs

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012

I am an engineer (haha this is getting old right?) but an electrical one so this is not my area of expertise. But that being said:

I wouldn't expect falls and impact damage to bend a phone, it produces a sharp impact localized onto whatever small portion of the phone strikes the ground first. Whereas in a pocket there is a lot of surface area subjected to a mild to moderate amount of torque all in the same arc. So then naturally the first failure point would be where the casing is weakest/most prone to torque forces.

My understanding of aluminum (from what I've read and seen on some DIY projects I've been involved with) is that it tends to deform from impact more easily than steel. And even though you can unbend it, because that deformation is "remembered" in a sense by the metal and it is fatiqued and that area will now deform more easily with future stress until an eventual failure.

Now that's all good, and really aluminum can be built into some pretty tough stuff that will last many many years. No one is denying that aluminum can make products that when properly designed withstand high amounts of abuse. But the question here is whether putting the phone in a tight pocket and sitting down is "unreasonable use", and I personally would say that it is not. Remember we're not discussing impacts and rough handling here, this is using a phone in a situation that Apple should have designed the product to with stand.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I am an engineer (haha this is getting old right?) but an electrical one so this is not my area of expertise. But that being said:

I wouldn't expect falls and impact damage to bend a phone, it produces a sharp impact localized onto whatever small portion of the phone strikes the ground first. Whereas in a pocket there is a lot of surface area subjected to a mild to moderate amount of torque all in the same arc. So then naturally the first failure point would be where the casing is weakest/most prone to torque forces.

My understanding of aluminum (from what I've read and seen on some DIY projects I've been involved with) is that it tends to deform from impact more easily than steel. And even though you can unbend it, because that deformation is "remembered" in a sense by the metal and it is fatiqued and that area will now deform more easily with future stress until an eventual failure.

Now that's all good, and really aluminum can be built into some pretty tough stuff that will last many many years. No one is denying that aluminum can make products that when properly designed withstand high amounts of abuse. But the question here is whether putting the phone in a tight pocket and sitting down is "unreasonable use", and I personally would say that it is not. Remember we're not discussing impacts and rough handling here, this is using a phone in a situation that Apple should have designed the product to with stand.

i agree with most you said..but there is a **** ton of hipsters out there with iphone 5s and skinny jeans.. i think we'd have a lot of reports of phones bending from sitting down with it in your pocket. ;)

i for one keep mine in my front pocket all the time. im a big dude 6'5" 260 lbs.. dont wear tight jeans.. but they do get tight in the pockets when sitting.. my phone has yet to bend.

BigWigs

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
i agree with most you said..but there is a **** ton of hipsters out there with iphone 5s and skinny jeans.. i think we'd have a lot of reports of phones bending from sitting down with it in your pocket. ;)

i for one keep mine in my front pocket all the time. im a big dude 6'5" 260 lbs.. dont wear tight jeans.. but they do get tight in the pockets when sitting.. my phone has yet to bend.

I hear you. I was mostly trying to address two points:

1) Impacts probably wouldn't bend a phone as much as a tight pocket because in a pocket the phone is not able to move away in response to a force and there are forces spread over a wide area so weak points would become the area to be affected, not just the "hit zone".

2) Assuming this damage is caused by tight pockets and sitting, people should not be calling this abuse and declaring user error. It would be a design fault.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I hear you. I was mostly trying to address two points:

1) Impacts probably wouldn't bend a phone as much as a tight pocket because in a pocket the phone is not able to move away in response to a force and there are forces spread over a wide area so weak points would become the area to be affected, not just the "hit zone".

2) Assuming this damage is caused by tight pockets and sitting, people should not be calling this abuse and declaring user error. It would be a design fault.

gotchya! makes sense.

S

syd430

I am an engineering professor, and I've really enjoyed this thread because it confirms what I have observed for the past few years: there are many opinionated and ignorant people on the web who confuse being vocal with being right. The laws of physics are real and well-understood and not subject to the whims of opinion.

Fortunately there are a few here with engineering knowledge who are trying to set you straight. But on message boards, ignorant opinions seem to prevail. To put it in language you will understand, this thread is up to your ears in stupid.

An understanding of the basic physics of stress and strain, elastic and plastic deformation, and metal oxide coatings is beyond most of you. The esteemed hypothesizers don't know the difference between weight, force, and stress. My advice is to retake freshman physics (if you made it that far).

On the internet, stupid always wins. Enjoy your so-called proofs and hypotheses - ignorance is bliss.

I came back and read this again but I still can't work out which side you are agreeing with.

iPhone go bendy or no go bendy?

That's all we want to know.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
No one at any time said that dropping the iPhone 5 caused it to bend. The bends come from sitting on it, bumping into a counter with it in your pocket, bending over with it in a snug front pocket and/or having it overheat (we all know how hot these things get from the battery) and then stressed. A tight rigid case may also force an overheated phone that has soft metal trying to expand, to bow at it's weakest point (the volume controls).

I agree that dropping the phone may not bend it but I also said that I work construction with my phone in my front pocket. Lots of bending down and movement when I'm working, carrying sheets of plywood rubbing against my phone in my pocket, ect...

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I came back and read this again but I still can't work out which side you are agreeing with.

iPhone go bendy or no go bendy?

That's all we want to know.

the best thing to do is be vague enough so both sides agree ;)

yeah i was wondering the same thing myself. only post he has he prolly wont be back. prolly just the OP making another account to troll.. JK JK

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
the best thing to do is be vague enough so both sides agree ;)

yeah i was wondering the same thing myself. only post he has he prolly wont be back. prolly just the OP making another account to troll.. JK JK

Which is why I replied to him on 12/1 as follows:

Now that is an interesting post! It's long, yet it avoids commenting on the subject of the thread except to support a vaguely defined group of people and bash another vaguely defined group of people. It starts with an unverifiable argument from authority, yet it's impossible to determine what you think about the issue. I believe your "professorship" is actually in trolling, because that's all the evidence of your writing supports.

I can't believe anyone would take his post seriously. The only thing lamer is to come back and reply to it two days later after one (not you, but the guy you're replying to) has posted other messages in the meantime.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Which is why I replied to him on 12/1 as follows:

I can't believe anyone would take his post seriously. The only thing lamer is to come back and reply to it two days later after one (not you, but the guy you're replying to) has posted other messages in the meantime.

lolol didnt see your response :D

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
My plastic case has more give now. Either the case has bent, or the iphone 5 has bent in the month that I've had it. I have to adjust the case to fit into the phone now and then it pops back out slightly now.

They should have used steel like they did last time. iphone 5 feels more fragile than the iphone 4. The glass in the iphone 4 is misleading. The back plate is EASILY replaceable in under 5 minutes. And costs like $7 shipped. I broke it once in 2 years. We'll look back on the 4/4s design as the right balance b/w robustness and great looks.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
My plastic case has more give now. Either the case has bent, or the iphone 5 has bent in the month that I've had it. I have to adjust the case to fit into the phone now and then it pops back out slightly now.

They should have used steel like they did last time. iphone 5 feels more fragile than the iphone 4. The glass in the iphone 4 is misleading. The back plate is EASILY replaceable in under 5 minutes. And costs like $7 shipped. I broke it once in 2 years. We'll look back on the 4/4s design as the right balance b/w robustness and great looks.

How long did it take to loosen? This would be a good indicator of the actual strength of the aluminum. You probably got it in October? Less than 2 months? Or was it a few days? I get a feeling the only thing holding the integrity of the iPhone 5 is the glass itself, NOT the aluminum. The aluminum will bend at will, and its only purpose is to cover up the internal electronics, not hold it in shape. If yes, this is the most delicate phone I have ever seen.

Sorry to the Apple fans. I am one also, but what I see is a repeat of what happened a long time ago (Apple II and Macintosh both dying because they couldn't keep up with what people really want). They both died because the creators couldn't keep up with changing trends. Now I see Windows and Android phones coming in strong, filling the gap that Apple neglects to address itself. I could not believe the speed that Samsung released that video about SitGate (sitting on phone with jeans testing machine). If Google releases Android+, moving the Java layer to the apps layer (for compatibility with old apps), and allow future apps directly access to the linux layer operating system (which will take over OS duties), it would be the end of Apple. Or if Windows Phone has lots of pure C apps that rival the Apps store, THAT will also be the end of Apple. So a hardware problem is definitely not a good thing to have and must be addressed immediately.

Yes, I know I stepped into a warzone with this thread. Both sides (maybe more) are now doing mind games on each other (all these new registered people). I think I am being dragged into it too. I assure you I am neutral (except for a good 1080p phone, high technology, with good structural integrity, fast operating system, non-buggy, good for developers to create software on, low cost for the masses). I only have one account, don't post often, so I would appreciate if I am not dragged into the mud slinging. I try to make my posts to the point, and factual.

So I agree with this poster, steel or a high grade tempered aluminum for the back.

Last edited:

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I buy 2 black iphones and they are perfect, the don't have any bend or scratch issues.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
Anyone that bends a phone from putting into too-tight jeans (particularly back pockets) and then sitting down deserves it. This is called common sense. Apple can't over-engineer a device so it can survive every imaginable insult. An iPhone is a sensitive piece of electronics. It is not a tool that you mash up with coins and keys, or toss into the back of a pickup. Treat it as such.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Anyone that bends a phone from putting into too-tight jeans (particularly back pockets) and then sitting down deserves it. This is called common sense. Apple can't over-engineer a device so it can survive every imaginable insult. An iPhone is a sensitive piece of electronics. It is not a tool that you mash up with coins and keys, or toss into the back of a pickup. Treat it as such.

But if an Android bends, then that is a faulty design and the fault of the manufacturer, right?

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I am an engineering professor, and I've really enjoyed this thread because it confirms what I have observed for the past few years: there are many opinionated and ignorant people on the web who confuse being vocal with being right. The laws of physics are real and well-understood and not subject to the whims of opinion.

Fortunately there are a few here with engineering knowledge who are trying to set you straight. But on message boards, ignorant opinions seem to prevail. To put it in language you will understand, this thread is up to your ears in stupid.

An understanding of the basic physics of stress and strain, elastic and plastic deformation, and metal oxide coatings is beyond most of you. The esteemed hypothesizers don't know the difference between weight, force, and stress. My advice is to retake freshman physics (if you made it that far).

On the internet, stupid always wins. Enjoy your so-called proofs and hypotheses - ignorance is bliss.

Amen!

Also explains why we the worst POTUS in history coming back for an encore.

----------

So true.

Still sitting on mine btw with no bending.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I must have had a special iPhone 5 then.

In two months of usage, i have slept on it with all my body weight on it, sometimes even sat on it.

It is not bent.

Myth debunked.

Next?

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
This thread is like watching a bunch of virgins trying to convince Ron Jeremy that he doesn't understand the mechanics of sex.

Thanks to the three or so engineers that actually took the time to chime in with some credible knowledge. Some of us do appreciate it.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden

Ever since the mobile phones got to the size so that they fitted jeans pockets, people have carried their phones in them. If now all of a sudden Apple make a phone that is too sensitive for people to carry the way they have done for many years I think that they should have made this very clear to their buyers.

The overwhelming majority of normal mobile phone users haven't got a single clue and doesn't care what material their phones are made of. And now you say that you can't sit down with an iPhone 5 in your jeans pocket because it might bend and that people more or less are morons not to understand this?

If (and I say if, and not that this is bound to happen) the iPhone 5 might bend just by having it in a jeans pant front pocket and sit down I would say that is a design flaw. There are lots of mobile phones with aluminium bodies out on the market (HTC has made several aluminium unibody phones) and I have never heard of them being bent just by having them in your jeans pockets. How should a normal user (if they are one of those that have taken notice that the phone is made of aluminium) understand that this particular phone made of aluminium is more fragile than other aluminium phones and must be handled with extreme care.

I can't believe to what extent some fans defend their precious product no matter what. "of course you can't carry your phone in your jeans pocket and sit down without taking it out", "of course you can't expect to get a flawless phone right out of the box, deal with it, it's just a phone" (that is the most expensive phone on the market and sells for appr. $900 here in Sweden at least).

It there are some real problems, isn't it better to put your pride aside and accept it so that Apple can understand that we don't accept less than premium products when we pay a premium amount for them? I belive that would be in all of ours intrest, but maybe I'm the only one feeling this way and i'm too naive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.