Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2011
Some very interesting opinions... I must say, although I recognize Apple is closing security holes when found, they're also creating new ones with each iOS release.

In theory anyhow, each time they introduce a new feature, software, etc. they open the door to a new method for root.

I'm not a long time iPhone user so I don't know exactly how the JB community works, but I've been around long enough to feel as if this time there's less involvement as before.

However, it's entirely possible a dozen people we've never heard of are sitting on an exploit right now just waiting for 6.1 to go final.

Goes without saying, anyone who gets a JB for 6.1 and or the iPhone 5 will be a legend around these parts. :)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
If I can’t sign code to run on my own device, then I don’t really own that device.

lol i dont get people that say this.
i'm all for a jailbreak and being able to use my hardware as i want ...but im even more so for freedom.
the device is apples prior to you purchasing it. They can do what they want to their devices.. (add security and prevent root access). Just like if i choose to purchase their device.. i can do what i want with now said my device.. remove those securities (assuming i am smart enough or there is a jailbreak released) etc

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Some very interesting opinions... I must say, although I recognize Apple is closing security holes when found, they're also creating new ones with each iOS release.

In theory anyhow, each time they introduce a new feature, software, etc. they open the door to a new method for root.

I'm not a long time iPhone user so I don't know exactly how the JB community works, but I've been around long enough to feel as if this time there's less involvement as before.

However, it's entirely possible a dozen people we've never heard of are sitting on an exploit right now just waiting for 6.1 to go final.

Goes without saying, anyone who gets a JB for 6.1 and or the iPhone 5 will be a legend around these parts. :)

have faith its coming!
http://www.cultofmac.com/201116/have-hope-iphone-5-jailbreak-is-getting-closer-jailbreak/

As usual, David couldn’t confirm any kind of release timeframe. Previous iPhone jailbreaks have been released around December. When asked if the iPhone 5 jailbreak status was “grim,” David responded, “Not at all.”

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
that old news that was written 11/13 Pod2g has said recently he is not working on the jb write now he has other priorities. p0sixninja has been pretty quite since he said he had almost broken the key. other then that jb scene is pretty quite. hoping for a miracle but glad I have my 4S 5.1.1 jb.

Last edited:

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
They're tied to the iphone for more of their operating income than the rest of the lineup combined. That's not necessarily a healthy spot. Obviously they don't want to limit its growth, yet it means they're vulnerable to changes in the phone market, especially in countries that don't rely on subsidized plans.

That is quite a statement about their operating income. I would be interested to see where you have seen that?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
That is quite a statement about their operating income. I would be interested to see where you have seen that?

It's been posted here quite a bit, and it's not exactly a bash on Apple. The iphone has just outpaced the rest of their products to such a degree that they've become incredibly dependent on it. It varies a bit, and it's one of their higher margin products. I can't find the article I was looking for, so here's one from CNET. It's going by revenue. Iphones tend to carry higher margins than many of those other products, so around half is a reasonable estimate. My point really was that they've become increasingly tied to the state of the handset market.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
lol i dont get people that say this.
i'm all for a jailbreak and being able to use my hardware as i want ...but im even more so for freedom.
the device is apples prior to you purchasing it. They can do what they want to their devices.. (add security and prevent root access). Just like if i choose to purchase their device.. i can do what i want with now said my device.. remove those securities (assuming i am smart enough or there is a jailbreak released) etc

That's quite easy to answer. Support. Apple doesn't want people to go to a Genius having problems only to notice that they have jailbroken thus somehow ruined the device or having problems just due to a jailbroken application. They want the support costs to stay controllable.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's quite easy to answer. Support. Apple doesn't want people to go to a Genius having problems only to notice that they have jailbroken thus somehow ruined the device or having problems just due to a jailbroken application. They want the support costs to stay controllable.

Yeah right.
1st thing you learn when you JB is if you need Apple warranty support you bring in your iphone restored to stock firmware.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Yeah right.
1st thing you learn when you JB is if you need Apple warranty support you bring in your iphone restored to stock firmware.

Sure, but if Apple would allow it they would need to cope with all the request they would get from people having problems with the Jailbreak, they don't want to waste money on that.

The only way I would see it would be if Apple would actually sell the service legally, but then in a way is admiting our software is not that great and you need "add-ons" to augment the operating system.

super michael

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
So what are the chance of a jailbreak being released for the Ipod touch 5th generation? I don't mind how long it takes for a jailbreak to be released, but I want to know if a jailbreak will be released for the Ipod touch 5th gen.

super michael

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
You may want to know, but it is the same for every other device on iOS6.

You will have to wait and see if the hackers can put together new jailbreak tools.

I see so I guess only time will tell if its possible or not and when it comes to waiting I am good at waiting. I know that Ipod touch 5th gen uses the A5 chip, lets hope that A5 device device would be able to jailbreak on IOS 6 and above.

I know these device uses A5 chip
Ipod touch 5th gen
Ipad mini (not sure)
Ipad 3, old device
Iphone 4s, old device

I hope that A5 device doesn't get left out on jailbreak and only A6 device gets jailbreak.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

whats easy to answer? i didnt ask anything. I said its just as much apples right to prevent jailbreaking..as it is mine to jailbreak it.

and to "answer" yours. "The way the support costs stay controllable" is a little thing called a warranty.. if its jailbroken its out of warranty then they dont have to service you.

----------

I see so I guess only time will tell if its possible or not and when it comes to waiting I am good at waiting. I know that Ipod touch 5th gen uses the A5 chip, lets hope that A5 device device would be able to jailbreak on IOS 6 and above.

Ipod touch 5th gen
Ipad mini (not sure)
Ipad 3, old device
Iphone 4s, old device

I hope that A5 device doesn't get left out on jailbreak and only A6 device gets jailbreak.

most jailbreaks have been exploits through userland not the hardware.. more than likely you will be fine.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011

Ipod touch 5th gen
Ipad mini (not sure)
Ipad 3, old device
Iphone 4s, old device

If the ipad mini and iphone 5 can be jailbroken, I will be a happy guy!! Last year it was released Jan 20th or something.... so lets hope we can see something by new years.

coolguy879

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
R.I.P
JAILBREAK SCENE
(2007-2012)​

Yeah, it's pretty much dead. Pod2g seems to have retired from the JB scene. It's sad, I know.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I think that some of the urgency behind the jailbreak was removed when it became possible for most people to obtain factory unlocks their iPhones. Formerly, getting their personal phone unlocked was a significant motivator for jailbreak developers -- including MuscleNerd, who has always used his iPhone on T-Mobile.

That said, I do not believe that people have given up on the jailbreak, and I imagine that there will eventually be a jailbreak for 6.x. This is by no means the longest it has taken for a jailbreak to be developed. Just be patient.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I would not rely on a jailbreak. I would not hold my breath.

Finding exploits is a very uphill battle.

At first, it was like a thief trying to take something in a paper bag. Easy to shred through.
That paper bag turned into a cardboard box. Still quick to get through, but not as quick as a paper bag.
Then that cardboard box turned into a wooden crate.
Then the wooden crate turned into a metal safe.
Right now, it's a metal safe encased in cement, surrounded by barbed-wire fence and armed guards. If the thief manages to get through to it, then next time the safe will be twice as thick, inside twice as much cement, inside another safe, sitting on an island guarded by dragons.

Can it still be jailbroken? Perhaps. But every step made in the past only helped Apple learn how to better protect itself. The harder the Dev Team tried, the more Apple learned how to better protect against them.

Besides, with each iOS release, the jailbreak software has been sloppier and sloppier. iOS 4.x was probably the peak. With iOS 5.x, issues with icon corruption still haven't been fixed. Now iOS 6 is out without the iOS 5 issues being fixed.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I think it does hurt the JB community, especially developers looking to get paid for their tweaks. I never ever pirate tweaks, however I do have to think pretty carefully about paying for them because who knows if a new iOS comes out that won't be jailbroken, or a new device that can't be jailbroken. I got an ATV3 on release day in hopes that I'd be able to run XBMC on it. That seems to be a lost cause and I'm not sure that phones and tablets are far behind.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Jony will save the day when we get iOS 7 next Fall. :( It'll include tons of JB features we used in the past. Lol.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
It's not dead yet, but I would say it's dying. The people who make jailbreak apps probably use an iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 now, so they are probably tired of developing apps for old phones they don't even use.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I think all these ppl complaining on Twitter just want free apps... which I think is not the reason why we should have a JB.

:rolleyes: There's one in every crowd. I hope you don't really think this is what the JB scene is about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.