Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I still wear a watch ... I dig on watches.

I like it as a piece of jewelry, I love the craftsmanship in watches, I like to be able to get the time by quickly looking at my wrist vs. having to dig in a pocket for a phone, I wear one when I'm in the pool or boating or surfing and want the time in a waterproof device that's small and won't get lost.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Fugly. I fully expect people will be claiming Apple invented the Smart Watch when they introduce them in 5 years.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Coming from a guy who talks about getting laid on a mac rumors internet forum?? lol
Maybe they use G Shock watches when they do outdoors stuff...in which case, that's cool.

Getting laid, G-Shock, G-spot and then outdoors....

You guys are backed up.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Cry Me A River.....

To check the time on your iPhone you first have to reach into your pocket/purse, grab the device, raise it to your eye level, and press the power button. To check the time on a watch you just have to raise it to your eye level. For a lot of people that's still a major convenience.

Waah! I guess these X Generationers really are getting more lazy than I thought.

:D :D :D :D

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I don't always (or even often) wear a watch, but when I do, it's a Casio G Shock. I've had mine for 10 years, never needed a battery change, or even a band change. It's taken a beating, followed me into the ocean, the desert, the mountains, offroading, backpacking, camping, snowboarding, surfing, rock-climbing, and more. It's seen two continents, and probably a hundred thousand miles.

If this watch had a better display for who's calling, emailing, and texting, I'd consider it, but still probably not get it as it lacks the linchpin feature of a watch (IMO): Solar power.

Spicedham

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
too gimmicky. if I could read my emails and notifications with this it would be worth it. otherwise the iphone does a fine job beeping and vibrating to notify me which is basically what this watch does.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Monochrome display? Who says an iPod Nano watch necessitates a monochrome display? And "a couple people" liked wearing the Nano as a watch?

Honestly, do you think it's a majority of people who buy the nano only to be a watch? I worked at an Apple reseller and sold hundreds of 6th gen nanos. We had a bunch of watch cases for sale, from different brands, including the popular tik tok/lunatik. I sold maybe 5 of those watch cases. I know that's more of an anecdote than a real statistic but whatever the actual proportion is, it's clear that people buying a nano to use it as a watch are in the minority, by far.

And unless you want to charge your nano about 5 times a day, you need a display without backlighting to have it on at all time. If you have to wake your watch from sleep just to see the time or your notifications, it kind of defeats the purpose of a smart watch in the first place. It's supposed to be something that you can instantly glance at to see the time / your notifications, without taking the 2 seconds it takes to periodically check your phone.

The only way to have a useful smart watch with current screen and battery technology is to have a monochrome one like this and the Pebble. A nano as a watch has no practical function.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
This watch would get annoying real fast. Anyone who receives 100+ actionable emails a day would do best to stay clear of this device which is a glorified phone notifier. Nothing to see here.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
This is exactly where I was hoping Apple was taking the 6th generation iPod Nano. But I guess that would have fallen outside of their newfound Incremental Advances Only motif.

QFFT.
I just CANNOT comprehend at all how they could not pick up this opportunity.

I even already saved up for a bundled purchase of iPhone + iPod Nano on release day.

Biggest disappointment for a long time.

I'm no watch-guy, but an iPod nano watch that integrates nicely with my iPhone would have made me a watch-addict.
It's a special shame as Apple is (or used to be?) the leader in vertical integration and that they even boosted expectations of this happening last year when they gave the nano new watch face.
The most ridiculous thing is how they love to drop features and yet, they leave the clock feature intact completely although a clock looks just awkward on a 16:9 screen.

Glassed Silver:mac

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
People who think G shock watches are cool....

Well let's just say i'm willing to bet that they get laid way less often compared to someone who wears classy watches...

Just saying.

So now you're comparing watches with the rate of getting laid? Let me guess, you're wearing an expensive watch, and drive a BMW, am I right?

niuniu

macrumors 68020
About bloody time they brought this out. If you're out on the bike, especially off-road, it's so noisy and there's so many vibrations that you can't hear your phone go off. Best way to get an alert is with a vibration on your wristwatch.

Most guys wouldn't want to wear anything other than a G-shock or Suunto or Garmin when they're off-road either, so this was a marriage made in heaven. It also looks like a regular G, which are a dime a dozen, so it won't look like some fruity technofangle 'I'm trying to be cutting-edge'. It's just a black G shock that no-one would look twice at.

Anyone knocking this clearly has no interests other than sitting on the forum making rabid comments in every thread they see.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Just give us the iWatch already. Pebble is the only decent looking one out of all of these and it doesnt even recieve text messages on the iphone. Im holding out for something better. This is perfect for me. I could look at my texts and notifications while on the job and people will just think Im checking the time!

I'm guessing that Apple ultimately upgrades all iPod devices to a micro iOS so that each can have limited communication with iDevices, plus added functionality. Not like moving map displays, but certainly data output from bluetooth sensors and such.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
About bloody time they brought this out. If you're out on the bike, especially off-road, it's so noisy and there's so many vibrations that you can't hear your phone go off. Best way to get an alert is with a vibration on your wristwatch.

Most guys wouldn't want to wear anything other than a G-shock or Suunto or Garmin when they're off-road either, so this was a marriage made in heaven. It also looks like a regular G, which are a dime a dozen, so it won't look like some fruity technofangle 'I'm trying to be cutting-edge'. It's just a black G shock that no-one would look twice at.

Anyone knocking this clearly has no interests other than sitting on the forum making rabid comments in every thread they see.

Well said sir !

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
If they can make a modern version of my Twincept watch that has BT functionality, and the features listed here, I am totally sold.

ABX23-8BV.jpg

I like that it is analog by default, and you can bring up the LCD overlay when needed. If it was BT enabled, notifications, or other needed info could be displayed over the time, and silenced when not needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.