Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

att_logo-150x69.jpg
CNET reports on comments from AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph de la Vega today revealing that the carrier has experienced record-breaking smartphone sales through the first two months of the fourth quarter of 2012.
The wireless carrier is selling smartphones at a record pace -- 6.4 million already in the first two months of the quarter, according to Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T's mobility arm. De la Vega, speaking at an investor conference today, said he now expects to sell 26 million smartphones this year, 1 million more than previously expected.
The current record for the carrier was set in the fourth quarter of 2011 with 9.4 million smartphone activations on the strength of the iPhone 4S launch.

Given that the iPhone typically represents 70-80% of AT&T's smartphones, the carrier's record numbers for the quarter so far bode well for Apple. Apple will likely also see a boost from its rapid rollout of the iPhone 5, which is already offered in nearly 50 countries and will be available in more than 50 additional countries by the end of the month.

Apple is clearly expecting a blockbuster quarter, having issued guidance for a record $52 billion in revenue on the strength of not only the iPhone 5 but also the new iPad mini and the just-updated full-size iPad, as well as recent updates to most of the company's Mac and iPod lines.

Article Link: Record AT&T Smartphone Sales Bode Well for iPhone in 4Q 2012

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Perfect. Now I don't want to hear any complaining about how my contract isn't up when I'm trying to upgrade to the iPhone 5S next year. :p

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Maybe the Nokia Lumia 920 raised their sales since its a new phone and it was sold at $99 with a charging plate.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
CNBC (financial) reported today the AT&T disclosure was an expectation of lower iPhone sales. Factor that in. The figure reported by AT&T was for "all smart phones". I have an opinion. Samsung had a promotion last year and last quarter of 2 for one on their handsets. There may have been a saturation on that deal. We'll see.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
No wonder he has the worst network and customer service. The numbers show he doesn't need to and his customers are obviously happy with the service.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
70-80%? 10% is pretty big number, when we talk about millions,
If you didnt understand it, read again until u get it

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
CNBC (financial) reported today the AT&T disclosure was an expectation of lower iPhone sales. Factor that in. The figure reported by AT&T was for "all smart phones". I have an opinion. Samsung had a promotion last year and last quarter of 2 for one on their handsets. There may have been a saturation on that deal. We'll see.

So they're reporting record phone sales in the quarter but expect iPhone sales to be lower?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Ah so this is why their stock was down almost 7% today. :)

Yeah, AT&T's stock gets hit every time they mention huge smartphone sales, especially subsidy-heavy iPhones.

It's partly because it means they'll have a ton of money tied up paying up front for those phones, each of which takes an average of 20 months for AT&T to get repaid from the monthly phone bill.

Aug 26, 2008
Yeah, AT&T's stock gets hit every time they mention huge smartphone sales, especially subsidy-heavy iPhones.

It's partly because it means they'll have a ton of money tied up paying up front for those phones, each of which takes an average of 20 months for AT&T to get repaid from the monthly phone bill.

He was talking about Apple's stock. It took a huge hit, getting knocked down 37 points for a 6.5% loss.

AT&T's stock dropped 1 penny today.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Perfect. Now I don't want to hear any complaining about how my contract isn't up when I'm trying to upgrade to the iPhone 5S next year. :p

Well you did sign the contract, and they have to recoup the subsidy costs. Personally I hate the subsidy model. It's like you're taking out a high interest loan from the carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.