Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I'm looking for something that

- doesn't require other users to sign up for a service or log in, a password would be OK
- can handle simultaneous editing by more than one person
- security settings 'viewed by anyone with the link' is sufficient

Otherwise, I don't need elaborate features, these are simple and short documents.

I thought google docs would do this for me, but so far I'm unable to make it work.

spb3

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
Me and my friends have been successfully using Google Docs.
Which part is not working for you?

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
http://etherpad.org

it's open source, havn't tried it myself though :cool:

Thanks! I just discovered their successor TitanPad, and I think this will do what I need. They do public docs that can be password protected.

Me and my friends have been successfully using Google Docs.
Which part is not working for you?

I can't manage to share the document for editing without people being asked to sign in. Apparently it's a known bug (I posted the problem on the google docs forum here). A lot of the people I am collaborating with don't have gmail or google accounts, and I don't want to use anything that requires them to sign up - I'm still working to get them all on board with DropBox (a lot of older folks in the group who have fallen out of technical developments, I need to pick my battles).

----------

For a while I used Zoho Office on Google Drive, similar to Google Docs but seemed a little better. But it may require each to sign up.

Thanks, it looks interesting but would probably require that sign up process for them which I'm trying to avoid.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I would be rather surprised if you found something on the public Internet that allowed people to edit your documents without some sort of sign-up. Otherwise it'd be relatively trivial to abuse. A basic sign-up is a way to verify that you're a real person and actually have the rights to edit this document. That's what most people want.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I would be rather surprised if you found something on the public Internet that allowed people to edit your documents without some sort of sign-up. Otherwise it'd be relatively trivial to abuse. A basic sign-up is a way to verify that you're a real person and actually have the rights to edit this document. That's what most people want.

TitanPad offers this. I can protect the document with a password to ensure some privacy, but it doesn't require that editors of the document actually register with a service (I registered myself, but others who want to edit don't have to). Apparently it's the same with google docs, you can share a document without having people to sign in - however, I'm having issues making this feature work, I've reported it to google and on their google docs forum they say it's some kind of bug, we're in a dialogue trying to resolve it but so far no luck.

blwest78

Suspended
Mar 11, 2016
I like LaTeX, so overleaf. To be blunt, no signups seems like a little bit of an unrealistic expectation. Everyone wants everything for free these days. Good luck. Google is your friend. Maybe Obama has something for you!

https://www.overleaf.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.