Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

The Iconfactory Releases Twitterrific 5 for iOS with Redesigned Interface

The Iconfactory, the developer of Twitterrific and Flare for Mac, has released a major update of its Twitter client for iOS. Twitterrific 5 debuted the App Store tonight and features a completely redesigned interface, themes and font customization, cross-device synchronization, and more.

As in previous versions, Twitterrific offers all of the basic Twitter client functions like timeline browsing, access to mentions and direct messages, search, and list access. New features include two themes, Light and Dark, that can be switched manually or done automatically at 7:00 am and 7:00 pm every day. Twitterrific 5 also offers five font choices and nine font sizes, as well as control over line spacing.

Cross-device synchronization is available through Apple's iCloud service or Tweet Marker. Unlike previous versions, Twitterrific now does not include advertising and offers multiple account support without the need for an upgrade via in-app purchase, though the app is no longer a free download. Twitterrific 5 is available now and costs $2.99, which is a special introductory price in celebration of its launch. [Direct Link]

A review and video of Twitterrific 5 are available at our sister site, AppShopper.

Article Link: The Iconfactory Releases Twitterrific 5 for iOS with Redesigned Interface
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Dave-Z
macrumors member

Nice improvements, but I still think Tweetbot is the best.
Dave-Z is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:38 PM   #3
njr140
macrumors newbie

Why are there different twitter apps and why are they paid apps? Is there something wrong with the normal one?
njr140 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by njr140 View Post
Why are there different twitter apps and why are they paid apps? Is there something wrong with the normal one?
I don't even remember the original Twitter app, I don't think there was even one? Gosh, it's so long ago. Twitterrific, Tweetie, TweetDeck, UberTwitter, Seesmic, HootSuite, and Echofon (TwitterFon back in the day) were the original big guys back when there was only the iPhone 2G. So that's kinda where it all started.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:56 PM   #5
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You think there is a lot of apps for Mac and iOS?

Back when WebOS was still in beta, there were HUNDREDS of developers applying for the beta program submitting their justification of building a Twitter app.
OriginalMacRat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:18 AM   #6
YankeeSR23
macrumors member

Quote:
The regular app has sponsored posts, something that I don't like seeing. Also twitter bought out Tweetie and ruined it so much. It also lacks muting (blocking people/hashtags for varying lengths of time).

As for charging people, twitter recently changed developer rules to limit new licenses so developers need to charge to make their development costs back.
YankeeSR23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:22 AM   #7
chrismarle
macrumors 6502

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand still no native push notification support.
chrismarle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:34 AM   #8
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
Quote:
The "normal" one *was* one of those "so many different Twitter apps" until Twitter bought it. It used to be called Tweetie. It wasn't the original Twitter app for iOS, either. Twitteriffic was. Twitteriffic was an app for jailbroken original iPhones before Apple even supported third party apps. Twitteriffic (on Mac) introduced a ton of things taken for granted now, including the word "tweet" and, IIRC, a bird as mascot for Twitter.

In short Twitter owes a whole lot to all the third party apps out there.
mduser63 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:37 AM   #9
nfl46
macrumors 601

They should have drop the price to $.99 for a couple of days.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:52 AM   #10
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Unlike previous versions, Twitterrific now does not include advertising and offers multiple account support without the need for an upgrade via in-app purchase, though the app is no longer a free download.
True but then you add this nice screenshot with, wait, advertisement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twitterrific-5-large11.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	381852  
justperry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:39 AM   #11
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

This looks great and all, but I paid $10 for the first twitterrific and now that app no longer works and every few months CHockenberry wants some more money out of us, so he takes his app out of the store, redoes the style (but doesn't expand functionality) and asks for more money. Ugh
TuffLuffJimmy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:47 AM   #12
4D4M
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLuffJimmy View Post
This looks great and all, but I paid $10 for the first twitterrific and now that app no longer works and every few months CHockenberry wants some more money out of us, so he takes his app out of the store, redoes the style (but doesn't expand functionality) and asks for more money. Ugh
Exactly right, this company is totally sleazy. I paid for an ad-free experience but then they upgraded the app and wanted more money from me. What a rip-off, I won't touch any of their products ever again.
4D4M is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:12 AM   #13
Tacitus
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Z View Post
Nice improvements, but I still think Tweetbot is the best.
You may be right, but at £13.99UK it's way overpriced. Half that would still be expensive compared to other Twitter clients.

The real disaster was when Twitter bought out Tweetie and proceeded to ruin it.
Tacitus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:18 AM   #14
bushido
macrumors 603

i still think Echofon is the most reliable one with sync and push plus its free. been using it since iPhone 3G
bushido is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:30 AM   #15
Dagless
macrumors Core

This article was brought to you by…
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:47 AM   #16
auero
macrumors 65816

Really nice app but I won't leave tweetbot until there is built in push support.
auero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:52 AM   #17
davidjearly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
You may be right, but at £13.99UK it's way overpriced. Half that would still be expensive compared to other Twitter clients.

The real disaster was when Twitter bought out Tweetie and proceeded to ruin it.
It's not £13.99 on the iOS app store though. It's £1.99.
davidjearly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:49 AM   #18
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Urgh. Putting the time indicator underneath tweets wastes so much space, and the top bar is now way too crowded. Plus with the iPhone 5's length moving controls that used to be easily reachable at the bottom of the screen up at the top seems like a negative step.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:42 AM   #19
Xenc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
That's the Twitter account of AppShopper...
Xenc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:15 AM   #20
ck2875
macrumors 6502

I bought it against my better judgement. I can't say I would recommend it to anyone when Tweetbot is a million times better.
ck2875 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:48 AM   #21
skellener
macrumors 65816

I almost never post on Twitter. I just use it to read posts. I looked at the new Twitteriffic 5. I think I prefer the look and style of the earlier Twitteriffic 4. Probably just because I'm used to it. The new one looks great for people who interact a lot more. Both very well made. Props to IconFactory for making great looking software!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:40 PM   #22
Rajani Isa
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenc View Post
That's the Twitter account of AppShopper...
Yeah, I noticed that was all @appshopper
Rajani Isa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion