Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Couldn't*

because if you could care less if defeats the purpose of saying it.

But I DO agree with you! :)

Regarding the watch, I don't know about you guys but my phone is always with me or very near. Why would I need my watch to confirm my phone is in fact ringing? It would be cooler to predict when my phone is about to ring! I'd buy that.

This explains the 'I could care less' thing rather well :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I for one is excited about reading sms and push notifications on the watch. Lets see if I got it right: pebble will not display sms or imessage. Metawatch has monochromic display but will display sms. How about imessage? G-shock will do neither. Any of these (or other watches) will let me read push notifications? Thx!
Uh, the reason iOS-capable watches didn't support sms or imessages is because Apple didn't let them, before iOS6. However, iOS6 does have support for text-message-data-via-bluetooth, and so it's just a matter of time before watches with SDKs support sms (it's unclear as to whether or not Apple now supports imessage via bluetooth, though).

macs4nw

macrumors 601

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Well let's just say i'm willing to bet that people who criticize other people's tastes in watches get laid way less often compared to someone who could care less...

Just saying.

*Couldn't care less.

If you could care less it means you still care a bit.

BarryWom

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Wow...

Remember the car Homer Simpson designed? Well that was more stylish. I wouldn't have been surprised if Casio threw in a calculator.

Thunderbyte

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
Thank you, I will wait patiently for my Pebble to arrive. Against it, this watch looks like a bulky kid's toy. ;)

And yes: watches are still cool! Hey, it is the only "jewelry" a man can wear. I like my Omega (they built the friggin moon watch!). And I like my Citizen world time RF Eco Drive chronograph (from a technical standpoint).

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
You Armercians are so shallow! :rolleyes:

Armercia, the mythical land that time forgot, a culture and people rumoured to have disappeared into the seas off the coasts of modern day mesopotamia as a result of massive seismic shifts of tectonic plates....

Oh wait...were you trying to spell America?...

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Seems like this watch still requires battery unlike the Citizen bluetooth watch...

The specifics of the Citizen BT watch are lacking as to how the device is powered. Eco-drive? Is that powered by used frying oil or solar or hydrogen fuel cell?

And $550 - for a watch?

When I got a cellphone I stopped wearing a watch.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
So there are people that still wear watches?

Of the visible wrists in this picture, most (if not all) have watches.

Another forum member beat me to this a few posts back.

Watches are for more than just keeping time - which, in itself, is more valuable in some environments than others.
Yes, there is an expected degree of asthetic beauty for some, but there is also a need for highly dependable and multi-functional timepieces.
They're more than a fashion accessory.

For some of us, there is great value to having such devices quickly accessible (i.e. on the wrist) and a phone isn't always an option (or even a preferred option).

Attachments

• us-special-forces.png
    us-special-forces.png
    228.1 KB · Views: 100

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
It was very obviously a joke. We real Seal Team 6 members do not brag about our overly manly exploits. This was also a joke. :rolleyes:

Also, real men wear watches. Manly man-watches. Like the Casio G-Shock. Much easier to lift my wrist to my eyes to check the time than trying to fumble for that ever so slippery iPhone on the night stand, pressing the button and getting my retinas burnt out by the backlight. Which would be kind of a bummer just as you're about to engage on another manly man adventure with your Seal Team Six bromies.

So many other occasions where wearing a water-proof, shock-resistant, solar-powered, atomic watch is more convenient than a slippery, fragile iPhone. Amphibious landings, the race track, diving, mountain climbing, space jumps, ballroom dancing competitions etc. etc. And that was all just last week.

That ALL was a joke. So funny!

----------

I'm sure there are many watch haters here that live in an urban area. The difference is the haters also probably live in their parents basement & code for a living. You can't go to a cocktail party or upscale event without at nice looking watch on. It's just adult social convention. A bare left arm is boorish but how would they know that if its outside their realm?

Never wore my watch on my left arm, even when I wore a watch - before cellphones and when my pocket watch wasn't practical.

adult social convention? According to whom?

----------

My Cookoo Bluetooth watch should be here this week and it was only $50. If I wasn't getting that I would have jumped on getting this.

http://Www.cookoowatch.com

Fugly.

00oo00

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
Of the visible wrists in this picture, most (if not all) have watches.

Another forum member beat me to this a few posts back.

Watches are for more than just keeping time - which, in itself, is more valuable in some environments than others.
Yes, there is an expected degree of asthetic beauty for some, but there is also a need for highly dependable and multi-functional timepieces.
They're more than a fashion accessory.

For some of us, there is great value to having such devices quickly accessible (i.e. on the wrist) and a phone isn't always an option (or even a preferred option).

You're at 3d SFG?

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
You're at 3d SFG?

I'm not with 3rd Group.
I am in the military.

Photo for illustration purposes only - to answer @therockyroad that, yes, some (many) people still wear watches.

If you were (or are) with 3rd Group. Thanks for your service.
It's a great organization with a proud history of doing "bad things to bad people".

obezcinnet

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2012
I don't understand people complaining about the design of the watch. It's the same design with all other G-Shock models, with the bluetooth addition. And yes, I do own a G-shock and I will purchase this one too as I work on the field and travel to at least 2-3 different time zones every month. Toughness of the watch and the auto time adjustment is enough to convince me.

I think using the watch to make calls or send text messages is ridiculous. It might be fun for people who wants to treat it as a toy, but in terms of the battery life and convenience I will pass on that. I am sure you can get something similar to that on thinkgeek.

ps. I am not in the military and own three watches :)

Last edited:

Hirakata

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Burbank, CA
Jeez, where's all the hate coming from. If you don't like it, fine, say so. But making derogatory comments about people who like it is just sophomoric.

I for one have always liked G-Shocks, and I can't tell you how many times I've missed calls on my iPhone because 90% of the time it's on vibrate and I don't feel it. Do wish it was solar powered, but may get one anyway.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Fugly. I fully expect people will be claiming Apple invented the Smart Watch when they introduce them in 5 years.

And why? Because they'll be the first to do it *right*. I just hope it won't take 5 years... :)

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
It looks hideous.

Apple should design a nice watch - something minimalist and Dieter Rams in form (like the Braun watches) but with some futuristic functionality.

maxmiles

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
wow.. the implimentation of these feature sucks so bad it hurts to watch the video. who in their right mind wantsth eir watch buzzing and blinking all the time like that? I get hundreds of emails a day, do I want my watch buzzing every time, or for incoming calls? The phone itself is already buzzing with that call I don't want to take, now it would be my watch too?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
While this is certainly an interesting project, I'm not so sure how relevant it is.

The current trend is less watch wearing in the USA amongst the younger demographic. People simply look at the time on their phone.

In the interest of diversity and variety, I would like to see them succeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.