Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Flybye
macrumors regular

Prevent child from changing Passcode iPod T 4th?

Hi all,

How on earth can I prevent my son from changing the passcode if I tell him what the passcode is to get into the iPod? I'm setting up an iPod I got him for Christmas, setting up all the restrictions, etc. And I noticed one funny thing, restrictions does not have an option to enter the restriction code to change the passcode, or am I missing something?

I know its pretty self explanatory, but I just spent 30 minutes going to every corner of Settings, so I figured I'd finally ask.
Flybye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Why do you need him to have a passcode to begin with? I think it would be better off for you to not set one up at all. Solves the problem altogether.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Flybye
macrumors regular

And if I do not?
He can still go into settings, create a passcode, and lock me out.
Him locking me out is what I am trying to prevent. I know I can reset it the iPod, but why bother going through that hassle if there is a way to prevent him from changing the passcode.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:16 PM   #4
fenskezen
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

Tell him if he locks you out even one time the iPod is gone. When my kids were young and I made a statement like that they knew I was serious. If you have followed through on your prior words of "advice", then this will be no problem.
fenskezen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Flybye
macrumors regular

Guess this just comes down to the fear of father.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
How old is this child? If you don't trust him, why are you giving him an expensive device? At least it's just an iPod and not an iPad!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:23 PM   #7
fenskezen
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye
Guess this just comes down to the fear of father.
Or maybe more important ... Fear of losing the iPod.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Flybye
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clix Pix View Post
How old is this child? If you don't trust him, why are you giving him an expensive device? At least it's just an iPod and not an iPad!
He is 9.5yrs old.

Well the iPod is for starters. If he can prove himself, then I may upgrade him to the iPad mini.

I'm sure he won't change it, but I just like to prevent the annoyingly possible.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:51 PM   #9
fenskezen
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clix Pix View Post
He is 9.5yrs old.

Well the iPod is for starters. If he can prove himself, then I may upgrade him to the iPad mini.

I'm sure he won't change it, but I just like to prevent the annoyingly possible.
Good plan. And a great age to begin proving himself trustworthy. First comes the iPods, next the family car!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:02 PM   #10
AppleDApp
macrumors 68000

It is odd that there isn't a setting for this also keep in mind that to set restrictions for apps and iTunes content the passcode to access that menu is the same passcode used to unlock the device. so your child can easily change the restrictions as well.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:11 PM   #11
faroZ06
Banned

Why would he even want to lock you out? Especially if you just say that he can't do that, he probably won't.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
It is odd that there isn't a setting for this also keep in mind that to set restrictions for apps and iTunes content the passcode to access that menu is the same passcode used to unlock the device. so your child can easily change the restrictions as well.
No, it's not. My iPhone's passcode is 2222. My restrictions passcode is a different code that I don't give out.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:12 PM   #12
AppleDApp
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
No, it's not. My iPhone's passcode is 2222. My restrictions passcode is a different code that I don't give out.
How did you set that up?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:19 PM   #13
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
How did you set that up?
When you enable restrictions, it asks you for a restrictions code. You can type in whatever you want. If you've already set one, you can disable restrictions then enable it again to set a new code. I don't know why it doesn't let you set a new code without disabling it then enabling it, but doing so set all of my restriction settings back to default :/

This is on iOS 6, but I'm pretty sure it was like this in iOS 4 and 5 too.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:49 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Yeah, the password is different in the restrictions area, vs the one to unlock the device. They both have different purposes. There is no way for him to change restrictions period, unless he restores the device entirely.

My brother has done that to us in the past with his iPod, and what I usually do (because there is pretty much no discipline in this house ) is tell him that there's an update coming out and I want to have it done for him for when he gets home. Never has said no to giving me the number then.

I also go through his iCloud account every few days just to check around.

Definitely would like stuff like, "This iPod's passcode has ben changed" messages that I could get in my e-mail though.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:28 AM   #15
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Uh...

I'm not a parent here, but it seems the best way to teach a kid not to change a passcode is to tell him that if he does, he'll be suspended from using it for a while.

And then actually suspend him.

Thought this may require more work than simply setting a four-digit code.
tdhurst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:57 AM   #16
fenskezen
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst
I'm not a parent here, but it seems the best way to teach a kid not to change a passcode is to tell him that if he does, he'll be suspended from using it for a while.

And then actually suspend him.

Thought this may require more work than simply setting a four-digit code.
And the beauty of this plan is, it will translate through life as the responsibilities get bigger. In a way it builds trust both ways...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:20 PM   #17
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

You need to educate your kid and trust him, or just don't give him anything
Androidfan1x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:53 PM   #18
jarron
macrumors newbie

I cannot believe no one has suggested this yet, but...

Why not use provisioning profiles, make it a non-removeable profile and just have the profile set a password. The password cannot be changed then. Search the Apple forums on Mobile Provisioning Profiles.

jarron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:38 PM   #19
riptide747
macrumors member

Just my view, don't give your kid expensive stuff at such a young age. It will only make him ungrateful and not appreciate the things he has. I know numerous kids who have gotten everything they've ever wanted and are spoiled brats not caring about anyone but themselves and expecting everything while giving nothing in return.
riptide747 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch