Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
as a very long term apple corporate user, i wonder if they fell behind... i just tried a win 8 touchscreen ultrabook, and it is very cool and nice for corporate use. will apple do that?

Spicedham

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
the idea sounds interesting but poking at a screen for 8+ hours will tire your arms. i'm positive apple made a prototype touchscreen laptop and tested it. they would have released it if they knew it was a good product. the reason why it works well on a tablet is because it's a smaller screen, you hold it closer to your body, and the angle you poke the screen. Microsoft is trying to make a boat that drives on land with windows 8.

markus843

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2012
I think only tablets should have touch screens, if apple computers had touch screens it would just ruin the awesome display.

:apple:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Then they would have to retool OSX to be a touchscreen OS, like following Win8 <eeeewwww>

When I first saw a Macbook I went, holly crap how come that touchpad is so huge? won't my palms make false triggers? After I got one I realize the reason. Trackpad doing a good job, I dunno whether lifting my hand constantly to touch the screen would be kosher.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Apple doesn't like touchscreens on non-tablet computers because these are useless gimmicks and ergonomy disasters. Instead, Apple offers best trackpads in industry.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
It's already here. Unfortunately, OSX is on the way out with iOS taking the lead. It's only a matter of time.

Tear ;(

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Touch screen means more hands on.

Touch screen = more hands on. Why not entertain the vast productivity and possibilities of this EVERYWHERE! We are so distant from each other, so we gain an extra muscle reaching up to our screens, we touch our eyepawds and eyefones everyday, what will it hurt to touch our 17" MacBook Pro's new retina screens hmmm? *Wink nudge*.

No seriously, just update the heck out of the 17" MacBook Pro already, I don't care about retina or touch screens, just update the most important pro machine soon.

Thank you.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I already hate it when someone is trying to point at something on my MBP's screen and actually touches the screen. I would have zero interest in a touchscreen laptop. It would just be another screen to clean.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I played around with the HP All-In-One. The 23" touch screen is on a sliding stand that tilts the screen almost flat; so there is little reaching to touch the screen. I find interacting with that easier than using my iPad3.

Touch screen is far more intuitive and less fatiguing when used for long periods.

I will be getting a Win8 Pro hybrid; either the Lenovo Yoga 13 or Dell XPS 12. After that purchase, my iPad and 2012 MacBook Pro will be collecting dust.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I will be getting a Win8 Pro hybrid; either the Lenovo Yoga 13 or Dell XPS 12. After that purchase, my iPad and 2012 MacBook Pro will be collecting dust.

Just a FYI, I bought a Yoga and returned it. Don't get one until they ship with 256gb SSD's.

The 128 one I bought I got home and realized Lenovo carved up the 128 into 7 different partitions to support the BS 1 touch recovery system they have, leaving a 63gb partition, and a 24gb one, of which the 24gb is reserved as recovery of user data. By the time you finish initial setup of Win8 you're left with 42gb of free space on the system drive. Given Win8 native apps don't prompt for a install location that's where they go too.

Store display upon going back and looking at it had a handful of apps and 5gb free. Nice machine, I really liked it, but the blade version Samsung830 it has in it isn't on the streets yet in bigger sizes. Machine was rushed to market to make launch IMHO

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
Just a FYI, I bought a Yoga and returned it. Don't get one until they ship with 256gb SSD's.

The 128 one I bought I got home and realized Lenovo carved up the 128 into 7 different partitions to support the BS 1 touch recovery system they have, leaving a 63gb partition, and a 24gb one, of which the 24gb is reserved as recovery of user data. By the time you finish initial setup of Win8 you're left with 42gb of free space on the system drive. Given Win8 native apps don't prompt for a install location that's where they go too.

Store display upon going back and looking at it had a handful of apps and 5gb free. Nice machine, I really liked it, but the blade version Samsung830 it has in it isn't on the streets yet in bigger sizes. Machine was rushed to market to make launch IMHO

I know that and saw your review on the Best Buy site. I plan on getting an 128GB SD card.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I know that and saw your review on the Best Buy site. I plan on getting an 128GB SD card.

There's a Best Buy SKU for a 256gb version, albeit it's vaporware and no one's seen it yet. I'd hold off personally, a 128gb SD is nowhere what another 128gb of SSD will be in the way of performance. I called Lenovo, they say no date but more than likely January. Like I said.. I liked the machine - a lot, and I'll buy one when I can either get it in 256 or get a bigger SSD that fits in it. SD card? Naa, sorry :(

dennya

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Seattle-ish
BTW, they released a hotfix that repartitions the drive on the Yoga so you end up a 100GB partition that has close to 70GB free with the OS and preinstalled stuff (including Office) on it. You have even a bit more free after getting rid of the bloatware, McAfee, etc. I have 70.1GB free with Office installed and a few Windows Store apps, as well as some documents.

If you're the tinkering type, the awesome thing about the Yoga is that is has a second internal slot for a mini-PCI SSD card. So for another $200 you can add a 256GB SSD to have a total of 384GB of storage. (Plus another $23 gets you 8GB of RAM, while you have the Yoga open you can swap the 4GB SODIMM for a larger one...)

Not getting into platform battles here -- the MacBook Pro and Air are awesome in the own right -- but just pointing out that the Yoga's biggest quirk was cured and that there's potential to make it even cooler at a relatively low cost with the a Torx T5 screwdriver and a bit of patience. :) And the touchscreen is certainly nice as an adjunct to a big touchpad; I'd be shocked if Apple doesn't embrace it eventually. (You know Apple -- a technology sucks until they actually manufacture it. Remember Jobs talking about PDAs/Smartphones, pre-iPhone?)

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
I played around with the HP All-In-One. The 23" touch screen is on a sliding stand that tilts the screen almost flat; so there is little reaching to touch the screen. I find interacting with that easier than using my iPad3.

Touch screen is far more intuitive and less fatiguing when used for long periods.

how could a touch screen laying flat on a desk be possibly more 'intuitive and less fatiguing' when used for long periods than a mice and keyboard?

and how is your example any easier than using an ipad? cant you put the ipad down flat on a table too? not sure how you're pulling any benefits over the other here.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
If you're the tinkering type, the awesome thing about the Yoga is that is has a second internal slot for a mini-PCI SSD card. So for another $200 you can add a 256GB SSD to have a total of 384GB of storage. (Plus another $23 gets you 8GB of RAM, while you have the Yoga open you can swap the 4GB SODIMM for a larger one...)

Actually did exactly that. Bought another Yoga and 2 x 256 mSATA drives and an 8gb DIMM. Only drawback is those dual slots are SATA II

Nice machine for such an "ergonomic failure". That statement in multiple threads above smacks so much of fanboyism it's astounding. Like none of them own an iPad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ergonomically its not a good thing but if the touchscreen PCs are popular you may see apple decide to offer one. From what read those PCs are in demand, unlike other models so a touch screen laptop is definitely striking a chord with some consumers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.