Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:04 PM   #1
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Converting inherited old HTML to modern standards

I'm not entirely sure which HTML standard the site I have inherited was written to - probably HTML 4 Transitional, according to the W3C validator service. I'd like to convert the site, and all its component pages, to the modern HTML 5 standard. I've found a Java tool that could potentially help with the conversion process (by normalizing the HTML). However, it looks like the conversion job needs to be done mostly manually, which I am fine with. That being said, got any suggestions for doing this? If seeing the site itself would help, this here link will take you there.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:13 PM   #2
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

How about a fresh restart? And don't migrate ? Sirious. It looks very outdated.
Or does the target group include those using lynx as browser ?
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:37 PM   #3
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
How about a fresh restart? And don't migrate ? Sirious. It looks very outdated.
Or does the target group include those using lynx as browser ?
You know what, I agree with you. It needs a fresh start. Guess I'm going to go study the HTML 5 reference
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:38 PM   #4
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

I have to agree. Start over. Best way of doing it. Besides your site could use some toning down. Those background are loud. And just a small amount of structure, not much. It is user friendly and very easy to navigate though. Update it overall and I am sure you will be pleased in the end.
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:03 AM   #5
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Okay, the new look web site has just now gone live! If you have any feedback about it, please pass it along so I can make it better.

EDIT: Oh shucks, I forgot to re-add all the menu links. Whoops, better go and fix that.

EDIT 2: All fixed now.

Last edited by wrldwzrd89; Dec 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM.
wrldwzrd89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:32 AM   #6
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
Okay, the new look web site has just now gone live! If you have any feedback about it, please pass it along so I can make it better.

EDIT: Oh shucks, I forgot to re-add all the menu links. Whoops, better go and fix that.

EDIT 2: All fixed now.
Hoping the link has changed since your original post. No offense, but all I see is some Lynx like layout (as noted earlier by another user) from 1992 or something with a moss green background, purple boxes and white text all centered.

If this is the "new" one it's not HTML 5, it's XHTML 1.0 transitional and it needs a complete overhaul with modern theming.

I'm REALLY hoping!
SrWebDeveloper is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:57 AM   #7
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrWebDeveloper View Post
Hoping the link has changed since your original post. No offense, but all I see is some Lynx like layout (as noted earlier by another user) from 1992 or something with a moss green background, purple boxes and white text all centered.

If this is the "new" one it's not HTML 5, it's XHTML 1.0 transitional and it needs a complete overhaul with modern theming.

I'm REALLY hoping!
You are absolutely right. I was in a bit of a rush to get this out so I fudged a few things - XHTML 1.0 instead of HTML5 is one of the compromises I had to make in order to meet my self-imposed deadline.

On that note, what I'll do is look into a better solution and apply that to the site. The results should be FAR better once that's done.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development