Converting inherited old HTML to modern standards

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by wrldwzrd89, Nov 28, 2012.

1. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I'm not entirely sure which HTML standard the site I have inherited was written to - probably HTML 4 Transitional, according to the W3C validator service. I'd like to convert the site, and all its component pages, to the modern HTML 5 standard. I've found a Java tool that could potentially help with the conversion process (by normalizing the HTML). However, it looks like the conversion job needs to be done mostly manually, which I am fine with. That being said, got any suggestions for doing this? If seeing the site itself would help, this here link will take you there.

2. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

How about a fresh restart? And don't migrate ? Sirious. It looks very outdated.
    Or does the target group include those using lynx as browser ?

3. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

You know what, I agree with you. It needs a fresh start. Guess I'm going to go study the HTML 5 reference ;)

4. macrumors demi-god

firedept

I have to agree. Start over. Best way of doing it. Besides your site could use some toning down. Those background are loud. And just a small amount of structure, not much. It is user friendly and very easy to navigate though. Update it overall and I am sure you will be pleased in the end.

5. wrldwzrd89, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Okay, the new look web site has just now gone live! If you have any feedback about it, please pass it along so I can make it better.

EDIT: Oh shucks, I forgot to re-add all the menu links. Whoops, better go and fix that. :eek:

EDIT 2: All fixed now.

6. macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Hoping the link has changed since your original post. No offense, but all I see is some Lynx like layout (as noted earlier by another user) from 1992 or something with a moss green background, purple boxes and white text all centered.

If this is the "new" one it's not HTML 5, it's XHTML 1.0 transitional and it needs a complete overhaul with modern theming.

I'm REALLY hoping!

7. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

You are absolutely right. I was in a bit of a rush to get this out so I fudged a few things - XHTML 1.0 instead of HTML5 is one of the compromises I had to make in order to meet my self-imposed deadline.

On that note, what I'll do is look into a better solution and apply that to the site. The results should be FAR better once that's done. ;)