Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ianbolton

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
Why dont they upgrade the sound engine too so that we can stop using applications like Amarra or PureMusic in order to get some descent sound quality?

Why don't you just download decent quality tracks, at a good bit rate and listen through some high quality speakers?

----------

However, Cover Flow and Re-sizing Cover Art is still missing and should never have been removed, it was not hurting anyone to be there and you had a choice to use/not use. Now we are all forced to "not use" :(

It's quotes like this that are confusing. People complain about bloated software, if all software just kept adding things, without removing, imagine how slow it would be?

New iTunes is great, clean and simple. Cover flow was a useless gimmick anyway.

----------

I thought the delay in the release of iTunes 11 was becuase "we wanted to get it right"... looks like that didn't happen. Apple needs to really get a handle on quality control. There was no develper beta for iTunes 11... so it was tested in bubble and we now seeing the result of that....

Yeah, a couple of very minor bugs after a massive rewrite. Apple should just give up writing software and stick to making beige Power PCs.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
The only thing I want is when you uncheck "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases" under the store prefs, that it stays unchecked.

I had this problem and found the only fix was to go into the iTunes store, sign out, then return to library and uncheck show cloud purchases. If you stay signed out of the store this will stay unchecked. I know it's not the perfect solution but it works for now.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Why don't you just download decent quality tracks, at a good bit rate and listen through some high quality speakers?

Thank you Mr. Opinion, you are such a wise man... Why don't you read the previous posts before you try to look smart?

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Itunes 11 is the worst piece of mac software I have ever used. And it's not even close.

Wow. I guess my reaction is the polar opposite. I'd say iTunes 10 (and probably a few versions before that) were some of the worst mac software I've used. And for me 11 has been a major improvement.

trueholygoat

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Would like them to fix the "feature" where I'm no longer able to search my connected iPod library. I'm reverting to 10.7 until they remove this "feature" from 11.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
You can't? It's there for me. Either system search or in Music. Also searches Match music still in the cloud.

Or do you mean when the phone is connected to the computer?

While my iPhone is connected to my mac at work, I cannot search the music tracks on my phone through iTunes on my computer.

I can start iTunes, plug in my iPhone, select "music" beneath my iPhone (which is listed under "devices" in the sidebar), and then if I search, it only shows results from my computer hard drive, not my iPhone.

I used to be able to do this in previous versions. I do not keep music on my work mac.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Wow. I guess my reaction is the polar opposite. I'd say iTunes 10 (and probably a few versions before that) were some of the worst mac software I've used. And for me 11 has been a major improvement.

I'll try to get into specifics. I generally find this player confusing. Every basic function is performed differently.

1. there should be one button to resize the window, not two.

2. the search function in 10 automatically listed track information including bitrates.

3. the sidebar allowed me to see and choose movies or radio, etc. immediately. Now, I have to click on that stupid scrolldown before I see the list.

4. when you choose an icon from the top row of buttons, it defaults to an icon view, which is 'pretty' but doesn't have detailed track information.

This is just a dumb, dumb, dumb piece of software. Less information, more work, counter-intuitive. I see zero benefit to any of the changes. Every change is a negative.

I don't know, can you tell us why you like this new version? Is it similar to ios or something?

Everything requires more work, gives me less information and forces me to relearn how to use the software without any extra benefit, instead giving me less information about my a/v content.

----------

You know what's funny.

And I know this will piss you all off, but, Windows Media player is now 10x more functional and useful than iTunes.

If it worked with iPhone and was available on Mac it would be a hit.

I did a search for alternatives to itunes. I settled on clementine as a part time alternative.

It's not as powerful or as flexible as itunes. It's not as pretty. It's a nice, basic player.

After using other players, I immediately was relieved to use itunes again, which is still familiar despite it's inexplicable changes, and far more powerful and comprehensive in it's abilities.

Itunes is still king. 11 sucks compared to 10, but after comparing, you realize it's still far superior to anything else out there, by a very wide margin.

Right now, I'm just using itunes FAR LESS than ever before, which is aggravating to me.

The only thing preventing me from going back to 10 is that I have to use the terminal and I HATE doing that.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
1. there should be one button to resize the window, not two.

Not sure what you mean by this, the green button is the only one I see that resizes. There are other buttons for full screen and mini player, but those are different from resizing.

2. the search function in 10 automatically listed track information including bitrates.

Works fine in songs view, I can see why people wouldn't be happy about not having the option to have more info visible in the albums and artists views, but I mostly stick with the songs view so it hasn't been an issue here. If you don't like having to hit enter for Show All after typing, you can deselect "search entire library" under the magnifying glass to make search behave like the previous version.

3. the sidebar allowed me to see and choose movies or radio, etc. immediately. Now, I have to click on that stupid scrolldown before I see the list.

Have you tried turning the sidebar back on (in the View menu)?

4. when you choose an icon from the top row of buttons, it defaults to an icon view, which is 'pretty' but doesn't have detailed track information.

I assume you mean the album and artist views, same as #2 again? I agree that it would be good to have the option to show more info or do album and artist in list views, but not something I personally miss.

Thanks for the specifics. I can see why people who are used to certain views and features are unhappy, but I just can't agree that all the changes are for the worse.

For me, performance is much better, which was always the worst part of previous iTunes for me. I love Up Next (wish I had it on my iPod as well) as well as some other improvements like podcast options. And I like the new interface, everything I need is still available as well as some new options. And no, I don't think it's like iOS at all, thank goodness for that, that's exactly what I was most worried about.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
11 is just stupid.

The search feature is atrocious.

I've tried reverting to 10 a bunch of different ways with no success.

I've had minor issues with itunes before: white background, lack of color in buttons.

But this is just a craptastic failure.

I've lost about 80 items from itunes as well as my files are scattered about, in trying to revert back to 10. I had lost about 600 but found most of them.

Insert loads of f bombs directed at whoever worked on this piece of crap as well as those who allowed it to be released in shambles.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Did you try disabling "search entire library"? With that setting I don't see any difference in searching from 10.

And did you figure out how to turn the sidebar on or not?

Turned on sidebar, don't know how to do first step.

Drops more f bombs.....

----------

Not sure what you mean by this, the green button is the only one I see that resizes. There are other buttons for full screen and mini player, but those are different from resizing.

Works fine in songs view, I can see why people wouldn't be happy about not having the option to have more info visible in the albums and artists views, but I mostly stick with the songs view so it hasn't been an issue here. If you don't like having to hit enter for Show All after typing, you can deselect "search entire library" under the magnifying glass to make search behave like the previous version.

Have you tried turning the sidebar back on (in the View menu)?

I assume you mean the album and artist views, same as #2 again? I agree that it would be good to have the option to show more info or do album and artist in list views, but not something I personally miss.

Thanks for the specifics. I can see why people who are used to certain views and features are unhappy, but I just can't agree that all the changes are for the worse.

For me, performance is much better, which was always the worst part of previous iTunes for me. I love Up Next (wish I had it on my iPod as well) as well as some other improvements like podcast options. And I like the new interface, everything I need is still available as well as some new options. And no, I don't think it's like iOS at all, thank goodness for that, that's exactly what I was most worried about.

Do you work for apple?? You sound like an apple rep apologist who claims all is fine. 11 sucks major a--.

Ianbolton

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
Thank you Mr. Opinion, you are such a wise man... Why don't you read the previous posts before you try to look smart?

I wasn't trying to be smart. :) The previous posts were just about general iTunes inadequacies, right? How should they rewrite the sound engine anyway? How would they make it better?

----------

Drops more f bombs.....

----------

Do you work for apple?? You sound like an apple rep apologist who claims all is fine. 11 sucks major a--.

Haha! I think every point you make about the new iTunes is more your failure to understand, evolve and navigate the new design, rather than a failure of software. I have no problems with it whatsoever and think it is much faster, smoother and more intuitive than ever before.

----------

= first world problems!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

Glad you found the sidebar, that should help at least some of your issues.

For search, click on the magnifying glass icon on the left side of the search bar, and in that popup menu, uncheck Search Entire Library. For me, that made search work like the previous versions - does it help with your search issues?

Do you work for apple??

Nope, I'm just the guy helping you find things that are tucked away as opposed to removed from the app (and yes, it would be better if a number of things were easier for users to find).

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Somehow, the iTunes 11 update restored my missing artwork that got corrupted when I restored my library from my MacBook.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008

For search, click on the magnifying glass icon on the left side of the search bar, and in that popup menu, uncheck Search Entire Library. For me, that made search work like the previous versions - does it help with your search issues?

Nope, I'm just the guy helping you find things that are tucked away as opposed to removed from the app (and yes, it would be better if a number of things were easier for users to find).

I trashed 11 altogether. F'in' hate it. Back to 10, after half a day wasted. Lots of duplicate listings in songs, but it seems I have most everything. The problem is, I'm not really sure if I do or not. Everything I've searched for has come up so far. But that's not the same as being 100% certain you have everything.

This experience has soured me on apple. Count me as a hater--they're churning out far too much garbage. I've got what I need for now.

It's really too bad that our only alt. to apple is windoze. I hate both companies now, not equally, but I officially hate both.

I don't give a rat's a-- what apple comes out with next. Doesn't matter to me. What I have now works and I'll stick with it.

Dropped so many f bombs in the last day it's unbelievable. Tim Cook can shove the next non-upgradeable, counter-intuitive pos back up his rear end from whence it came.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So you gave up before you had a chance to discover that some of your issues had fixes that you just hadn't found yet. Seems like you're more interested in being angry than having things work well, but whatever works for you.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I'll never understand people using 'only a small minority liked X' as a justification for removing features... only a small minority of computer users use OS X at all, you'd think Apple would be a little more sensitive to accommodating the wishes of the minority when it doesn't really have to impact the majority in any way...

My guess is it was the other way around. It's not so much that a small # used it so they took it out. It's more along the lines of a small # used it, so they didn't put it in. Supposedly they rewrote a lot of the code in iTunes. The way their programming seems to go at Apple, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy(s) that originally worked on Coverflow were no longer around/available to reprogram it on iTunes 11.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
No, it's not. Manually managing music on the iPhone/iPod is somewhere else and very clumsy now.

He was talking about the sidebar, which is most certainly still there. If manual management of music has changed, that's a different issue.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Why dont they upgrade the sound engine too so that we can stop using applications like Amarra or PureMusic in order to get some descent sound quality?

Probably because they (unlike some apparently) know that you can't hear the sonic information above 20kHz and so 192kHz sampling playback is a waste of freaking time (and iTunes already has Apple Lossless so FLAC is moot). By the way, decent doesn't have an 's' in it. :rolleyes:

I find it interesting that Pure Music also pushes Pure Vinyl when Vinyl has even less high frequency information than basic red book CD (there's a LOT of white noise up there, though if you like random static sounds, which the LP is famous for or should I say infamous? Personally, I think LPs sound like rubbish compared to a good digital recording as the slightest click or pop instantly reminds me I'm listening to a recording and not the real thing.

Feel free to respond with the usual gibberish audiophiles like to go on about with so-called "high resolution" playback formats. But people should keep in mind these groups are the same people that refuse to do proper double-blind ABX testing to actually PROVE they can hear ANYTHING what-so-ever when they make their often ridiculous claims of super-hearing and these are often the same groups that bought goofy snake-oil items like CD-mats and green CD pens back in the day that supposedly improved CD music, but in actual controlled testing the former made the player track WORSE and putting a green outline around your CD does absolutely NOTHING (except make you poorer for spending $40 on a 50-cent green marker, but then a sucker is born every day and a lot of people got rich off this nonsense).

If you want better quality mainstream music, tell the mixing and mastering engineers to stop listening to tone-deaf music executives that think "louder = better" so they can do their job properly and produce a quality product rather than something like the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication album (the worst example I can think of offhand where an album was RUINED in the mastering stage for the sake of "loud" and just clips EVERYWHERE constantly.

BTW, I recorded my own album at 24-bit resolution, but it was for headroom purposes (release was 16-bit/44.1 and not there is no audible difference between the master and release). There's no need for >120dB volume swings. I'm not launching the Space Shuttle on my album and neither does anyone want to have their hearing destroyed in hearing such a thing at full volume to get that level of dynamic range. In fact, even well recorded albums typically have less than 90dB dynamic range for the most part. Anything beyond around 18-bit playback is pointless and anything beyond a 48kHz sampling is even more pointless. You'd do better to invest more money in room treatments or towards better speakers than wasting over $100 on software product that playback 192KHz recordings (and good luck finding them to purchase in the first place beyond the limited SACD and DVD-Audio catalogs out there).

iTunes (or any player) has not a bit perfect sound reproduction when you change the volume. The lower you set the volume the more bits will be rejected and you will end up with a dull sound when it plays in low levels. This can be addressed with sound dithering.

The idea that an analog volume control doesn't lose detail as it attenuates the signal, but a digital one does is absurd. Both methods are decreasing the real world physical volume and thus decreasing the maximum potential dynamic range in the room at the same time. It's an old Stereophile tale that you should buy analog pots rather than use a digital control. Analog pots have the additional negative aspect of adding noise to the signal in the analog domain (all analog devices add noise to the chain). You're far better off keeping things digital as much as possible in the chain. But like everything else, people "think" they hear a difference after it's been suggested to them. It magically disappears when they do an ABX test (they then start blaming the ABX boxes for nullifying the differences by polluting the chain somehow, unlike their analog volume knobs which apparently don't add anything to it).

Of course, any doubts (or paranoia) could be avoided with iTunes/AppleTV setups by simply keeping iTunes digital volume at maximum and using the analog or digital volume control on your receiver/pre-amp/speakers instead of using iTunes itself for volume control. I see no need for a 3rd party program to simply deal with volume control.... :rolleyes:

Funny thing that cover flow was removed... Steve was so happy about the cover flow on the phone when it came out. Surprised they are getting rid of this, even if "rarely used." If 1% of iTunes users loved cover flow, that's still a lot of people having to do without it.

I used it for movies (creates a nice list with a decent sized artwork preview) and albums when I wanted to see the art more clearly. I don't see any reason for them to remove an OPTION. It only makes the product worse, IMO.

Tim Cook claims to read his e-mails (at least some of them). People should start letting him know their feelings about Cover Flow being removed if it bothers them (I doubt general iTunes feedback would make as much an impact, but there's that option as well).

You got a Weiss Medea DAC?? With a pair of Tidals?? And using iTunes? Are you for real????

WTF does using iTunes have to do with anything? Apple Lossless serves just fine (and I've already explained the rest). Having a massive media library controlled from AppleTV is tres cool (with an iPod Touch remote as well). With my Gen1 ATV, I can even play my DTS music library through it with no issues (another thing they screwed up in sub-sequent versions).

Last edited:

bidi051

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
the search bar

many thanks to milo and others who said to uncheck the search entire library under the magnifying glass to get back to the old way of searching. that was the one thing about 11 that was driving me nuts.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
iTunes (or any player) has not a bit perfect sound reproduction when you change the volume. The lower you set the volume the more bits will be rejected and you will end up with a dull sound when it plays in low levels. This can be addressed with sound dithering. There are many algorithms for this. It seems that iTunes uses an average one. In- app volume is needed if you are playing the music through a good sound system that has no pre-amp and you send the music straight from the dac to your amplifiers. Then you definitely have to use the volume in the iTunes.
I thought it was common knowledge that you want to have your system outputting at full volume for best audio quality. So, leave your iTunes set to max volume and use your amplifier to adjust the output.

Otherwise, this voodoo software sounds like those magical green markers people would use on their CDs to make them sound better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.