Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Looks liek Microsoft are on the crusade of trying to belittle their competitors instead of competing. Ballmer did it against the iPhone and it seems the WindowsPhone twitter account is at it again with the second #droidrage account, offering the chance of some kind of recompense in return.

There has been a lot of press coverage saying it's now backfired with #WindowsRage popping up from Twitter and on Google Plus.

http://betanews.com/2012/12/06/micr...gn-goes-down-in-flames-as-windowsrage-trends/

What was Microsoft thinking? The software giant initiated a campaign on Twitter, dubbed #DroidRage, inviting Android users to share their "malware horror stories", only to have it backfire spectacularly shortly afterwards. A huge number of anti-Microsoft posts with the #WindowsRage hashtag appeared on Twitter and Google+, almost immediately.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57557422-75/microsoft-tries-droidrage-thing-again-doesnt-take/
Call it a Microsoft holiday tradition. The annual #DroidRage Twitter campaign is back.
The general idea of #DroidRage is to "share your Android malware horror story."

And while there are some tweets supporting Microsoft, they aren't easy to find -- despite this tweet by Microsoft: "Yikes! Hundreds of #DroidRage stories already since our tweet last night."
Instead, the tweets are trending toward flaming Windows.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriank...rosofts-droidrage-twitter-campaign-backfires/
A Twitter campaign organized by Microsoft to get Android users to share their malware “horror story” in exchange for a chance to win a new Windows Phone handset has backfired.

http://readwrite.com/2012/12/05/windows-phone-droidrage-twitter-stunt-blows-up-in-microsofts-face

In an attempt to highlight the Android operating systems susceptibility to malware, the Windows Phone twitter account asked its followers on Wednesday to tell a “horror story” of Android malware with the hashtag #DroidRage.

Predictably, this is not working out all that well for Microsoft. We have seen time and again how hashtag marketing campaigns on Twitter have turned against their creators and made the company making the call-to-action look foolish. To a certain extent, that is precisely what is happening to Microsoft and its #DroidRage stunt.

I'm not a massive fan of this smear type marketing, especially when they offer up prizes (this being a Windows Phone) for stories like this. The potential for people to flat out lie in the chances of getting a free phone are immense.

Still, I love a negative bit of smear that backfires (like it did with Motorola and Apple's maps).

IMO, it's a fail. Your thoughts? :D

Play nice people. Negative ad campaigns aren't for everyone.

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Windows trying to call another product out for virus problems is the very definition of irony.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354834428.384511.jpg

Lol

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Microsoft knows iOS going to be #1 for a long time so they are aiming for the #2 spot (Android).

This is going to be great.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Microsoft knows iOS going to be #1 for a long time so they are aiming for the #2 spot (Android).

iOS number 1? That's news to me. Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case you forgot the /s.
But just in case you weren't being sarcastic and truly believe iOS is number 1, then let me share this with you.

idc2016.jpg

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
iOS number 1? That's news to me. Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case you forgot the /s.
But just in case you weren't being sarcastic and truly believe iOS is number 1, then let me share this with you.

Where in my post did I mention market share? Sometimes reading and understanding a post will make one less foolish in their response. :)

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Where in my post did I mention market share?

Hmmm, so where exactly in your post do you state what you meant by iOS being "number one?" Is there any other stat you could have been talking about? Sorry, but you left it completely open to interpretation, and when someone says Microsoft KNOWS iOS is going to be number 1 for a long time, and Android #2, what else could you have meant besides market share? If you're talking on behalf of Microsoft, as you were, then the only thing they care about is market share. Microsoft isn't some emotional fanboy. Their a corporation that's in the business of selling their product and gaining market share. Hence, my post. So please explain to me where I went wrong with this LOGIC.

Sometimes reading and understanding a post will make one less foolish in their response. :)

The irony. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

What is iOS #1 at? The OS is outdated and full of bugs, but it does okay in sales within N Americs and England. Everywhere else in the world, the iPhone barley sells at all. Americans tend to have this impression that the rest of the world must be like the US. Simply not the case.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
What is iOS #1 at? The OS is outdated and full of bugs, but it does okay in sales within N Americs and England. Everywhere else in the world, the iPhone barley sells at all. Americans tend to have this impression that the rest of the world must be like the US. Simply not the case.

Europeans have a tendency to overgeneralize ;)

Yes, this statement is ironic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.