Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:56 AM   #1
jaydub
macrumors 6502a

Should I really give a crap about my unlimited data plan?

I'm eligible for an upgrade on AT&T and I have the unlimited data plan, but I can't bring myself to get the iPhone 5 with them due to the issues I have had in the past.

I use an iPhone 4S, my wife uses my "old" iPhone 4. However, there are times when my data speed lags behind hers (sitting next to one another) and I've always noticed the problem, no matter what phone I use. I have gone to AT&T repeatedly, my SIM card has been replaced two or three times, and I've even received replacement phones from Apple after showing them screenshots of my slow speeds (one was as bad as 0.21 Mpbs Down/0.02 Mbps Up with three bars of service). As a sidenote, if I trade SIM cards with my wife, she has no issues with slow data speeds, so it's doubtful that it's a hardware issue.

AT&T has been little help. They always tell me that it "seems fine" and any attempts I've made to escalate it to someone who might be able to see if there's something *technically* wrong with my account have fallen on deaf ears. So, rather than fighting with them incessantly, I'm considering moving to Verizon. The only thing hindering me is my unlimited data plan with AT&T, despite the fact that I never go over ~ 1GB of usage per month. Whether that's due to my poor service or lack of use (from the poor service) is debatable.

I'm sure I'm complicating what's a simple thing: If you aren't happy with one company's service, then go to another carrier. It's just that damn unlimited data thing . . .
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:17 PM   #2
maflynn

Do you use a lot of data? Can you easily live within the data caps that they provide? If yes, then I'd not really worry too much about the unlimited plan
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:18 PM   #3
jaydub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Do you use a lot of data? Can you easily live within the data caps that they provide? If yes, then I'd not really worry too much about the unlimited plan
I think that's my concern. If the issue miraculously resolves itself by my getting an iPhone 5, I know I'll use more data. However, with the spotty service I have now, I feel like I'd be getting a phone I can't even fully enjoy.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

How is Verizon coverage in your area? That's the main question. If it is much better then move on. If about the same than live with AT&T. That's really the bottom line.
Givmeabrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:21 PM   #5
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
I'm eligible for an upgrade on AT&T and I have the unlimited data plan, but I can't bring myself to get the iPhone 5 with them due to the issues I have had in the past.

I use an iPhone 4S, my wife uses my "old" iPhone 4. However, there are times when my data speed lags behind hers (sitting next to one another) and I've always noticed the problem, no matter what phone I use. I have gone to AT&T repeatedly, my SIM card has been replaced two or three times, and I've even received replacement phones from Apple after showing them screenshots of my slow speeds (one was as bad as 0.21 Mpbs Down/0.02 Mbps Up with three bars of service). As a sidenote, if I trade SIM cards with my wife, she has no issues with slow data speeds, so it's doubtful that it's a hardware issue.

AT&T has been little help. They always tell me that it "seems fine" and any attempts I've made to escalate it to someone who might be able to see if there's something *technically* wrong with my account have fallen on deaf ears. So, rather than fighting with them incessantly, I'm considering moving to Verizon. The only thing hindering me is my unlimited data plan with AT&T, despite the fact that I never go over ~ 1GB of usage per month. Whether that's due to my poor service or lack of use (from the poor service) is debatable.

I'm sure I'm complicating what's a simple thing: If you aren't happy with one company's service, then go to another carrier. It's just that damn unlimited data thing . . .
I'd say that no, based on your historical data usage, you shouldn't worry about switching and trading unlimited for capped. However, I'd also highlight the fact that you should expect to use more data with LTE than without so you may want to assume 2GB usage instead of 1GB.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

You might not be using lots of data now because of the speeds you are getting. But if you do upgrade to the 5 and have better coverage with LTE you might see an increase in data usage.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:26 PM   #7
jaydub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
How is Verizon coverage in your area? That's the main question. If it is much better then move on. If about the same than live with AT&T. That's really the bottom line.
Pretty good, from what I have heard from others. It's also much better when I visit family in Colorado, where I get almost no service at all with AT&T.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:28 PM   #8
nw9
macrumors regular

Have you tried resetting your network settings or restoring your iPhone as new? If not then you should try those options before switching carriers. If your wife is on the same carrier as you then it seems like the problem is with your phone and not the carrier unless the carrier is throttling you.

If the problem is AT&T, then you should consider switching. What's the point of keeping unlimited if you don't benefit from it?

Quote:
I think that's my concern. If the issue miraculously resolves itself by my getting an iPhone 5, I know I'll use more data. However, with the spotty service I have now, I feel like I'd be getting a phone I can't even fully enjoy.
If your wife is using the same service as you then how is her service? AT&T might be unfairly throttling you even though you aren't using that much data per month. If that is true then you should leave them because any carrier who would treat their customers that way you shouldn't stay with them.
nw9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:38 PM   #9
jaydub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw9 View Post
Have you tried resetting your network settings or restoring your iPhone as new? If not then you should try those options before switching carriers. If your wife is on the same carrier as you then it seems like the problem is with your phone and not the carrier unless the carrier is throttling you.

If the problem is AT&T, then you should consider switching. What's the point of keeping unlimited if you don't benefit from it?

If your wife is using the same service as you then how is her service? AT&T might be unfairly throttling you even though you aren't using that much data per month. If that is true then you should leave them because any carrier who would treat their customers that way you shouldn't stay with them.
Yes, I've tried just about everything including replacement phones from Apple. I didn't want to believe that I'd have my speeds throttled, especially considering how little data I actually use. I figured that was a special type of screwing AT&T inflicted upon those who really use a lot of data. Perhaps I was wrong.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:44 PM   #10
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Based as described, it's not the carrier's fault, since your wife on the same carrier works just fine. There is something wrong with that particular 4s.

If u do upgrade to the 5, is this not reversible? don't u also have a no-question-asked return period?

But it does sounds like you are ready to move on, and Verizon is recognized as #1 on coverage and service (relative to other carriers).

Tough call.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Pretty good, from what I have heard from others. It's also much better when I visit family in Colorado, where I get almost no service at all with AT&T.
Then I'd suggest going the Verizon route. Like I always tell people should always pick the service that works for you then choose the phone.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:47 PM   #12
jaydub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Based as described, it's not the carrier's fault, since your wife on the same carrier works just fine. There is something wrong with that particular 4s.

If u do upgrade to the 5, is this not reversible? don't u also have a no-question-asked return period?

But it does sounds like you are ready to move on, and Verizon is recognized as #1 on coverage and service (relative to other carriers).

Tough call.
Read what I wrote. I have switched SIM cards with her and the problem goes away. Same hardware, the issue does not persist with her SIM card.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:18 PM   #13
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

The REASON why you had slow data speeds is because you were throtled on your unlimited plan. AT&T agreed to granfather you into unlimited data, they never said how fast that data would be.

I'm sorry but there is no way to continue having unlimited data if you don't want terrible speeds, no carrier will sell you unlimited data that is also always fast:

AT&T:

Slight throtle from the get go, extreme throtle after 3GB of use

Verizon:

Extreme throtle after 2GB of use

Sprint:

Has extremely slow network to begin with, essentially always throtled.

T-Mobile:

Will let you use 4GB and then throtle you.

Just switch to a regular plan if you don't use much data and don't want to be throtled.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:31 PM   #14
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
The REASON why you had slow data speeds is because you were throtled on your unlimited plan. AT&T agreed to granfather you into unlimited data, they never said how fast that data would be.

I'm sorry but there is no way to continue having unlimited data if you don't want terrible speeds, no carrier will sell you unlimited data that is also always fast:

AT&T:

Verizon:

Sprint:

T-Mobile:

Just switch to a regular plan if you don't use much data and don't want to be throtled.
I find it highly doubtful that AT&T would throttle the OP, or anyone, to the tune of "0.21 Mpbs Down/0.02 Mbps Up with three bars of service" if they never exceed "~ 1GB of usage per month" for data.

Sounds to me like a problem with the phone.

jaydub, have you tried restoring as new to see if that has any effect? If it doesn't and the speeds are still terrible, I'd go back to an AT&T store (yes, again) and to an Apple store as well to see what, if anything, they can do. Your wife's 4 shouldn't be faster than your 4S.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:37 PM   #15
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post

AT&T:

Verizon:

Sprint:

T-Mobile:

I have ATT, an unlimited plan and an iPhone 5. I have received a throttling "threat" once (after downloading close to 500 songs from iCloud to my phone). I just ran speedtest in my office. I'm on LTE and had 3 bars in each of the 5 tests. Here are the averages:

Ping: 43.4 ms
Down: 9.28 Mbps
Up: 7.88 Mbps

Comparatively, I'm running the same 5 tests and taking an average on my iP4S (work phone). 4 bars, 4G network, not too sure of the account specifics.

Ping: 91 ms
Down: 0.84 Mbps
Up: 0.47 Mbps

I would say the OP's experience isn't normal, but a 5 might fix some issues. And as for the "throttling" - it sucks to be throttled at all on a supposedly unlimited plan, but I'd bet speed fluctuations are due to "natural throttling" (i.e. clogging of the network) and not some evil ATT exec trying to screw Billy Bob...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
I find it highly doubtful that AT&T would throttle the OP, or anyone, to the tune of "0.21 Mpbs Down/0.02 Mbps Up with three bars of service" if they never exceed "~ 1GB of usage per month" for data.

Sounds to me like a problem with the phone.

jaydub, have you tried restoring as new to see if that has any effect? If it doesn't and the speeds are still terrible, I'd go back to an AT&T store (yes, again) and to an Apple store as well to see what, if anything, they can do. Your wife's 4 shouldn't be faster than your 4S.
Not to sound rude, but the OP has already stated the answers to your questions of him.

And I agree with this post. ATT isn't purposefully trying to screw you - using 1 GB wouldn't get you throttled. There's gotta be something wrong in the hardware/SIM.

iPhone 5S, 5C | Lumia 520 |iPad rMini, Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:39 PM   #16
takeshi74
macrumors 601

As always with usage questions you have to answer this yourself considering your usage. I didn't have any need for unlimited. YMMV.

Quote:
So, rather than fighting with them incessantly, I'm considering moving to Verizon. The only thing hindering me is my unlimited data plan with AT&T, despite the fact that I never go over ~ 1GB of usage per month. Whether that's due to my poor service or lack of use (from the poor service) is debatable.
You can always sign up for service with Verzion and try it out while you can cancel without ETF and then decide. Keep an eye your usage.

Quote:
Read what I wrote. I have switched SIM cards with her and the problem goes away. Same hardware, the issue does not persist with her SIM card.
What you wrote made it sound like the opposite to me. You said that if you trade SIM's she has no issues with slow data, i.e. she has no data issues using your SIM card in her phone. It would have been a lot clearer to us if you had said something like: her phone slows down with your SIM and your phone is faster with her SIM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Not to sound rude, but the OP has already stated the answers to your questions of him.

And I agree with this post. ATT isn't purposefully trying to screw you - using 1 GB wouldn't get you throttled. There's gotta be something wrong in the hardware/SIM.
Not to sound rude but the OP has already stated that the SIM and the phone have both been replaced.

That said though, the replacements could have problems as well. If the problem follows the SIM then it probably isn't the hardware.

Last edited by takeshi74; Dec 7, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:40 PM   #17
iapplelove
Banned

I wouldn't and have not given min up. But then again I like AT&T far more than Verizon and have no issues what so ever with them
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:42 PM   #18
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post

Not rude at all, glad you pointed it out. I gotta read more carefully.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:44 PM   #19
darster
macrumors 68000

To the OP, give the iPhone 5 a try on AT&T. You have 30 days to return for refund. If it doesn't meet your needs, go back to iphone 4 or switch carriers. It really costs you nothing to give it a try.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:49 PM   #20
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
I was thinking more like the phone's radio, antenna etc, but OK in your second post u finally disclosed they gave you another 4s.

Time to move on then.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:07 PM   #21
ladytonya
macrumors 6502

As others have pointed out, everyone's needs are different so you are really the only one who can answer this question for yourself.

For me, I gave up my unlimited data to switch to Verizon. Where I live, AT&T's coverage is crap. I never had a problem with AT&T, per se, so long as I didn't mind just knowing when I drove through certain areas my calls were going to drop. Oh, and that I couldn't make calls from home sometimes even with an M-Cell installed. Of course, YMMV. With Verizon, I am actually saving money over what we were paying AT&T for almost 3 years, we're saving close to $30/month and that is even with adding insurance to two phones.

As for your data needs, before switching I looked at AT&T's web site and found where it shows your data usage over the past 6 months. If I combined the most data I ever used and the most data my husband ever used, we were at about 7.8GB. We went with the 8GB plan on Verizon knowing that we might have to bump it up to 10 if we use more data on LTE. Even if we have to do that, it'll be $20 less than we were paying on AT&T, we won't drop calls, and we'll have 4G/LTE (AT&T hasn't turned on 4G/LTE in our area and have no plans to do so anytime soon according to the local stores and online forums). Basically, you just have to do your research and see which is right for you. Good luck!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone