Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

How to verify factory unlock and non-jailbreak when buying used iPhone

I've had an iPhone for 3 years, but I've never jailbroken mine. So I have no idea how it looks like when it is jailbroken.

If I'm buying someone's used iPhone, how can I tell that it's not jailbroken? Because if it's jailbroken, they can probably unlock it, but that unlock will only be temporary... I want to avoid that.

Also, if they say it's factory unlocked iPhone, how can I verify that? Is the only way to insert two different SIM cards and make sure it works with both, or is there an easier way?

Last edited by shurcooL; Dec 8, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:06 PM   #2
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
I've had an iPhone for 3 years, but I've never jailbroken mine. So I have no idea how it looks like when it is jailbroken.

If I'm buying someone's used iPhone, how can I tell that it's not jailbroken? Because if it's jailbroken, they can probably unlock it, but that unlock will only be temporary... I want to avoid that.

Also, if they say it's factory unlocked iPhone, how can I verify that? Is the only way to insert two different SIM cards and make sure it works with both?
Well for jailbreak, if its an A5+ with ios 6, it can't be jailbroken, and if there's a Cydia app or something, it is. Just restore it via iTunes and update to ios 6 and it'll get rid of any jailbreak.
paulbennett95 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:38 PM   #3
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Well for jailbreak, if its an A5+ with ios 6, it can't be jailbroken, and if there's a Cydia app or something, it is. Just restore it via iTunes and update to ios 6 and it'll get rid of any jailbreak.
Thanks!

So the Cydia app is always there if it's jailbroken, there's no way to hide it, right?
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Lefty29
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Thanks!

So the Cydia app is always there if it's jailbroken, there's no way to hide it, right?
When it comes to jailbreaking, there's always a way to do something, including hiding Cydia. Your best bet would be to hook it up to a computer and examine it with an app like iPhone Explorer to see if you have root access to the folders on the phone.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone