Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mathman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Howdy friends -

This is really the first time I've ever had this problem (and it is indeed SUCH a first-world problem!).

I've had an iPhone 5 since the release date and been mostly content. Throughout the years I've switched back and forth between Android and iOS devices and been mostly satisfied with either.

In the past couple of years, I've switched to almost an entirely Mac ecosystem at home. I have an iMac, a MacBook Pro, an iPad, and and iPhone. But recently, I got a Galaxy Note II for free and decided to activate it on a lark.

Now, I can't decide which one is better. I love the S-Pen and functionality of the phone as well as the screen real estate. I think the camera is also comparable to the iPhone, but not sure which is better. What's put me off about Android phones before is the unacceptable battery life.

I have to choose which phone I'm keeping, and I've gone back and forth every single day this week about which phone I'm keeping. I'm hoping you can give me some good advice, even though I know it's a highly personal experience and decision.

If I were to switch, I know I'd really miss the the integration with my devices. I like being able to switch between my iPad, iPhone, and Macs to continue text messages and chats. Most of my family/friends have iDevices, so they can use FaceTime and the like. Also, I use iTunes Match for my music and would have to upload my collection to Google Music.

Overall, I love the customization of Android, but I've always come back because of the integration issues. On the other hand ... the Note II is a WONDERFUL device, and might just be enough for me to make the jump.

What do you think? Please help. :)

MM

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
The battery life on the Galaxy Note 2 totally blows away the iPhone 5. I can regularly get 14-15 hours of on screen time on wifi with my Galaxy Note 2 when I'm web surfing or using my news reader. I don't use this all in one go but it means that I can easily go 2-3 days without charging. It is no contest, the Galaxy Note 2 wins over the iPhone 5. And this is even before you factor in that you can get an extended battery for the Galaxy Note 2 that will increase the battery life by a factor of 3 if you so desire.

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Howdy friends -

This is really the first time I've ever had this problem (and it is indeed SUCH a first-world problem!).

I've had an iPhone 5 since the release date and been mostly content. Throughout the years I've switched back and forth between Android and iOS devices and been mostly satisfied with either.

In the past couple of years, I've switched to almost an entirely Mac ecosystem at home. I have an iMac, a MacBook Pro, an iPad, and and iPhone. But recently, I got a Galaxy Note II for free and decided to activate it on a lark.

Now, I can't decide which one is better. I love the S-Pen and functionality of the phone as well as the screen real estate. I think the camera is also comparable to the iPhone, but not sure which is better. What's put me off about Android phones before is the unacceptable battery life.

I have to choose which phone I'm keeping, and I've gone back and forth every single day this week about which phone I'm keeping. I'm hoping you can give me some good advice, even though I know it's a highly personal experience and decision.

If I were to switch, I know I'd really miss the the integration with my devices. I like being able to switch between my iPad, iPhone, and Macs to continue text messages and chats. Most of my family/friends have iDevices, so they can use FaceTime and the like. Also, I use iTunes Match for my music and would have to upload my collection to Google Music.

Overall, I love the customization of Android, but I've always come back because of the integration issues. On the other hand ... the Note II is a WONDERFUL device, and might just be enough for me to make the jump.

What do you think? Please help. :)

MM

How do iPhone users keep getting Note 2s and S3s for free? You are like the 3rd person to post this just today? Please tell us all how you guys are getting top notch devices for free. I call BS and would like to see photo proof of both phones side by side.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
It's a decision you'll have to make. Do you like the ecosystem with all your apple devices or do you like the features and functionality of the Note II.

If battery life is an issue, the Note II makes it a non-issue. Also, will you be okay with the size if its your everyday device.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Who cares how they are getting them but its unreal the amount of apple users going over to the note 2. I really think apple is holding themselves back only having a small phone on offer.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I would say keep the Note 2. I have one and think it's awesome. It is totally worth the extra size to have this much functionality with you all the time. It's replaced my tablet for sure!

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
I made the switch to the Note 2 about a month ago, took a bit of adjustment but now I am very comfortable with this great device

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Who cares how they are getting them but its unreal the amount of apple users going over to the note 2. I really think apple is holding themselves back only having a small phone on offer.

Seems very odd to me, especially 3 in one day. Note 2s and S3s don't just fall from the sky, around here at least. I would keep the Note though. Got rid of my iphone 5 for it just a few weeks ago

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Another vote for the Note 2, love mine. I would also like to know how people are getting them free as well.

mathman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
I work for an organization that received a few freebies. They were raffled off within the organization and I won one. Just about the first time I've ever gotten anything like this for free.

So, for those of you who made the switch, do you miss FaceTime, iMessage, or the Mac ecosystem integration? That's my biggest hangup.

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
I work for an organization that received a few freebies. They were raffled off within the organization and I won one. Just about the first time I've ever gotten anything like this for free.

So, for those of you who made the switch, do you miss FaceTime, iMessage, or the Mac ecosystem integration? That's my biggest hangup.

Oh that's cool, congrats. I don't miss a thing. My ipod touch and ipad mini can do all that, don't need an iPhone to enjoy iOS.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

I use Skype, IMO, Google Talk, and Google+ video chat instead. They are cross platform services. I hate to be forced to buy specific Apple hardware with no alternative just to use basic communication. Cross platform services are so much better. Everyone used to use BBM but because it locked to specific BlackBerry hardware, people are leaving in droves. When was the last time you could even send someone a BBM from your iPhone/Android?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I use Skype, IMO, Google Talk, and Google+ video chat instead. They are cross platform services. I hate to be forced to buy specific Apple hardware with no alternative just to use basic communication. Cross platform services are so much better.

Same here. Mainly using Skype and Whatsapp but I do have an unlimited messaging plan so iMessage didn't really matter. Don't have a Mac so no issues there.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
How do iPhone users keep getting Note 2s and S3s for free? You are like the 3rd person to post this just today? Please tell us all how you guys are getting top notch devices for free. I call BS and would like to see photo proof of both phones side by side.
I can post a picture of three phones on the space station, what would that prove?? Or my S3 on a 2013 SLS Mercedes. Its the internet.

I switched to a S3, from a 5, I went and looked at the Note 2 today. All the posts about the Note being to large and no one handed operation are just wrong. I bought one to replace my S3 I work and live in a mac world like the OP, plus add 6 Apple TV's between work and home. In truth my Ipad mini has replaced my iPhone 5 and I like the change.

Last edited:

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
I can post a picture of three phones on the space station, what would that prove?? Or my S3 on a 2013 SLS Mercedes. Its the internet.

I switched to a S3, from a 5, I went and looked at the Note 2 today. All the posts about the Note being to large and no one handed operation are just wrong. I bought one to replace my S3 I work and live in a mac world like the OP, plus add 6 Apple TV's between work and home. In truth my Ipad mini has replaced my iPhone 5 and I like the change.

Nice. Same here

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
@ OP, do you really have a note 2? The only reason I ask is, the Note 2 battery life absolutely blows away the iPhone 5. It's not even close. The most diehard fanboy would be ashamed to even try to argue this. So when you say you decided to activate it, you would have noticed this right away after using it. So if battery life is indeed important to you, then there is no comparison between the two. You didn't really acknowledge the amazing battery life of the Note 2 after mentioning how you have bad experience with Android phones' battery life.

mathman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
@ OP, do you really have a note 2? The only reason I ask is, the Note 2 battery life absolutely blows away the iPhone 5. It's not even close. The most diehard fanboy would be ashamed to even try to argue this. So when you say you decided to activate it, you would have noticed this right away after using it. So if battery life is indeed important to you, then there is no comparison between the two. You didn't really acknowledge the amazing battery life of the Note 2 after mentioning how you have bad experience with Android phones' battery life.

Of course I have a Note II. Why would I post to a forum and ask for help and opinions if I didn't? The battery life is quite good, although honestly for what I use it for, the iPhone is just fine in this respect, too. I easily get a full day off of both, so that's not a deciding factor for me.

As I said, the real issue that I have to deal with is the integration (or lack thereof) with my other Apple devices. But from what I'm getting from many opinions here, I'm thinking that there are other solutions.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Samsung has a kiosk at a mall where I went Christmas shopping last night, I took the opportunity to check out the their tablet, S3 and Note II. I will say that I was incredibly impressed by the Note II.

It is big but its features, power and performance were great. It fit in my pants pocket and didn't feel to awkwardly large in my pants pocket. If I have a chance to buy one I'd be very tempted. The only things holding my back (other then my lack of upgrade with my carrier) is my deep integration with iOS, and how easy/hard would it be to root

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Samsung has a kiosk at a mall where I went Christmas shopping last night, I took the opportunity to check out the their tablet, S3 and Note II. I will say that I was incredibly impressed by the Note II.

It is big but its features, power and performance were great. It fit in my pants pocket and didn't feel to awkwardly large in my pants pocket. If I have a chance to buy one I'd be very tempted. The only things holding my back (other then my lack of upgrade with my carrier) is my deep integration with iOS, and how easy/hard would it be to root

Why do you need to root it?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

It's not hard to root. My friend who hadn't rooted anything before in his life managed to root his Note 2 following a guide so I'm sure you'd be fine if you ever get the Note 2.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
I can throw in a third option. If you unsure now return the note wait until Jan 8-11 for samsung to announce the GS4 and that should help you decide. Gives you an idea how samsung moves forward with its next iteration of their most popular device yet.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010

I haven't made any switch get, but am getting ready to and if you're worried about the ecosystem, don't. I don't use iCloud to sync calendars and contacts. My gmail account is just as smooth and cross platform. My Dropbox account Syncs photos just fine. Actually it syncs better because Photo Stream syncs photos to iPhoto I don't want to keep. I can prune my camera roll before porting to Dropbox.

Google Music Manager takes some time. You will need to leave it on overnight, but when done, it syncs iTunes playlists too, and you can pla your music in a web browser if you don't have access to iTunes.

This means the only thing you need to worry about are apps and video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.