Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

product-product-150x72.jpg
Last year, it was revealed that Apple may have been working on offering Bluetooth keyboard pairing with the second-generation Apple TV.
The ability to pair a Bluetooth keyboard with the Apple TV would obviously make for significantly easier text entry, simplifying such tasks as initial setup with iTunes Store accounts and Wi-Fi network passwords as well as day-to-day content searching.
9to5Mac now reports that Apple seems ready to deploy Bluetooth into its Apple TV products, as the latest Apple TV developer beta now allows you to pair a Bluetooth keyboard to a 2nd or 3rd generation Apple TV.

Once you connect a Bluetooth keyboard to your Apple TV, you can completely control it without using the included remote or an iOS device. The arrow keys are used for navigation, the return key is used to play or pause and the escape key acts as the "menu" or up "one level" button. And of course, searching becomes easier with a full hardware keyboard.

apple-tv-bluetooth.jpg
The update only allows Bluetooth keyboards, so pairing Bluetooth speakers, mice or even Macs will not work. 9to5Mac noted that they were able to pair a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard to the Apple TV succesfully, so the update isn't limited to Apple keyboards.

Although currently limited in functionality to a simple keyboard, it's thought that eventually Apple could open up Bluetooth support to allow a mic-based remote or iOS device to use Siri with Apple TV.

Article Link: Upcoming Apple TV iOS Update to Unlock Bluetooth Keyboard Support

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I have an Apple wireless keyboard that came with my current iMac that never got used (I purchased an extra wired extended keyboard with it). If this happens, this would be beyond awesome.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
hopefully it also comes with the feature where it actually plays half the stuff I try to watch on Hulu Plus. Two AppleTVs, both of them fail on the same videos.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I have my AppleTV set up to respond to my Comcast remote when it's set to AUX. it's vastly better than the included Apple remote range wise (I can use it from 30' away... My apple remote only works from about 10' away.)

I've never managed to get the iOS app to work...

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
About time.. Been able to do this for a while with my jailbroken Apple TV. Very convenient.

Feels like there's so much potential for the Apple TV but I guess they're moving cautiously.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Maybe someone can find an bluetooth security exploit and finally jailbreak the atv3

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Meh, I am still waiting for them to update the iPad Remote app so that there is more interfacing. It would be nice to see a lot of feedback on the iPad itself rather than the TV, letting you navigate menus by looking at the iPad instead of the TV.

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006

NO kidding! Been waiting for this for the longest. I like the remote it ships with for basic point/click but having to re-enter my password to get back on my network when switching over from goflex satellite takes forever! with a keyboard I could jump back and forth with ease.

Thanks Apple, release update at will!

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
This is not the update you're looking for.

Still waiting for third party apps...

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
What is the difference between an Apple TV and a Mac Mini?

One streams iTunes content and has netflix and hulu plus streaming. One is a Mac computer. They are completely different products targeted at completely different uses.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Still waiting for third party apps...

This is what I am waiting for. Until this happens my Xbox will be my TV set top box. I dont have cable and use my Xbox for everything. Apple needs apps before that changes.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Meh, I am still waiting for them to update the iPad Remote app so that there is more interfacing. It would be nice to see a lot of feedback on the iPad itself rather than the TV, letting you navigate menus by looking at the iPad instead of the TV.
Yes! The one thing I wish I could do on the Remote app is turn AirPlay on. Right now if I'm in my bedroom and i want to listen to music from the AppleTV I have to walk down the hall to the great room and tap option on my iPhone and look at the TV to navigate to "Speakers ..." LAME.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
It was said before, but it bares repeating: finally!

Now I just want that remote...

Me too. No need to spend an additional $70 for this if you have an iOS device already.

There's also no need to spend an additional $70 if you already own a Bluetooth keyboard. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
About ***** time. Now it won't take me 10 minutes to type in a password or search for something.

jaroth1290

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Does this mean you will be able to use your macbook's keyboard with bluetooth to control the apple tv? obviously my macbook has bluetooth and a keyboard...but i dont have a spare bt keyboard laying around

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Does this mean you will be able to use your macbook's keyboard with bluetooth to control the apple tv? obviously my macbook has bluetooth and a keyboard...but i dont have a spare bt keyboard laying around

Well there are applications for the Mac that allow it to mimic a BT keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.