Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
This is what I experience:

First load the game lags like crazy. Levels out after about 5-8 seconds. Then frame rate is smooth, but will drop off if happen to be looking at the wrong thing (what the wrong thing is I don't know it will just drop noticeably when moving around at times). When I first fire a gun, the game pauses. Then seems to work normally after. Opening the inventory creates a large lag spike at first, then its really jerky moving around inside it. But it will go smoothly, but them seemingly start missing mouse input for a second. There are many times during gameplay when there will be micro stutters. The micro stutters seem more prevalent in enemy battles.

All in all it grates and I just found myself 'waiting' for the next stutter instead of playing the game. I have been playing Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 quite happily.

I have been running at 1440 x 900 in all my tests btw. I tried 1024 x 768 but geez that is low. I mean it does not even take up the full size of the screen....:confused: performance seemed improved but the issues above did not vanish fully.

Thank you for this Rob, feedback like this enables us to make games better. I'm going to PM you so we can dig in here and hopefully find you a solution. I switched over to 1440x900 and while I did notice an increase of load-in lag (especially when loading into Sactuary, where a bunch of stuff is being rendered), the mini hitches has me worried. That should definitely not be happening, and we haven't seen it here in the office.

We play Diablo 3 and SCII all the time at lunch :D

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Here are some SHIFT codes that are supposed to be valid until 9pm CST (about 2 hours from the time of this post). They get you golden keys to unlock the chest in Sanctuary. They can be used once per account so you can give them to friends. To input SHIFT codes on the main menu of Borderlands 2, choose Extras then SHIFT. You'll need to make an account if you don't have one, but it'll guide you through it. Also you can't paste them in which kinda stinks but oh well.

PS3:CJ5BB-FT5HW-J5CWT-HBCB3-BC5XK and KBC3T-SCK9C-JCCWT-ZJK3J-CB5TF

PC/MAC:5TW3B-HFH6W-W6BJB-TTJJB-BX3RS and WTW3B-BB3SK-WXBJJ-3BB3J-ZSXKX

X360:K3W33-5SX59-69R36-563T3-H6WTT and KJKBB-XTH5S-R9RTF-5XBJJ-HXHC6

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Thanks SilentPanda :D they work great.

Thank you for this Rob, feedback like this enables us to make games better. I'm going to PM you so we can dig in here and hopefully find you a solution. I switched over to 1440x900 and while I did notice an increase of load-in lag (especially when loading into Sactuary, where a bunch of stuff is being rendered), the mini hitches has me worried. That should definitely not be happening, and we haven't seen it here in the office.

We play Diablo 3 and SCII all the time at lunch :D

This is the sort of thing I experience, I took a video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avr5WgXTc64

I encountered a situation earlier as well where the entire game literally turned into a slide show during a boss fight. I thought the system was going to crash! I minimised to check the system was still responsive, then went back in to the game and the FPS returned to normal. :confused:

EDIT: Oh for what its worth I had Automatic Graphics Switching disabled. So it was not switching to Intel HD graphics.

Last edited:

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Here are some SHIFT codes that are supposed to be valid until 9pm CST (about 2 hours from the time of this post). They get you golden keys to unlock the chest in Sanctuary. They can be used once per account so you can give them to friends. To input SHIFT codes on the main menu of Borderlands 2, choose Extras then SHIFT. You'll need to make an account if you don't have one, but it'll guide you through it. Also you can't paste them in which kinda stinks but oh well.

PS3:CJ5BB-FT5HW-J5CWT-HBCB3-BC5XK and KBC3T-SCK9C-JCCWT-ZJK3J-CB5TF

PC/MAC:5TW3B-HFH6W-W6BJB-TTJJB-BX3RS and WTW3B-BB3SK-WXBJJ-3BB3J-ZSXKX

X360:K3W33-5SX59-69R36-563T3-H6WTT and KJKBB-XTH5S-R9RTF-5XBJJ-HXHC6

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=369220

Post #13.

Go grab that guy's "profile.bin" file and throw it in your save file. Note that the profile.bin file contains some settings (like your mouse acceleration) and most of your badass rank, so overwriting your existing profile.bin will wipe those things out (but you can always get them back/set them back up again).

Once you've done that... Vola. +5000 golden keys.

So frankly, Gearbox can take their "SHIFT" **** and shove it. This isn't Diablo 3. I don't need whatever the crap is that they're selling. The requirement for Steam is enough for me, thank you very much.

-SC

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Go grab that guy's "profile.bin" file and throw it in your save file. Note that the profile.bin file contains some settings (like your mouse acceleration) and most of your badass rank, so overwriting your existing profile.bin will wipe those things out (but you can always get them back/set them back up again).

Many of us would prefer to play legitimately. There are also save game editors. Might as well just give yourself the best guns, or even guns you couldn't actually obtain.

These new codes should be good for about an hour from this post.

PS3:K3CBT-3CKS5-BKW5B-9BCJJ-R9ZXH and W3CT3-CX5SC-BCWWJ-ZBWTB-FSBKH

PC/MAC:5JKJT-W9S6C-5FJBB-3BBTB-CBXX3 and K3WTT-6BTZW-C6TB3-TJJTB-BZWR9

X360:KT53T-SH6CZ-FSXBX-WFT3T-KB9KX and W35TT-BKS5Z-69R36-CR3BJ-SFJJK

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Many of us would prefer to play legitimately. There are also save game editors. Might as well just give yourself the best guns, or even guns you couldn't actually obtain.

That's fine. I just wanted to offer an alternative to signing up for whatever it is Gearbox wants you to signup for.

They're the ones who put the chest there, in a location that is totally unavoidable. They named it "Golden Chest" on purpose, and even made it seem like you could open it right up until you mashed the "E" key and the game complained about a lack of keys.

I might understand if the keys could be attained by completing certain achievements, but they're not. The whole thing is a marketing gimmick. Bypassing the system with the profile.bin method is just my way of sticking it to them after I paid $40 for the game.

Frankly, it's nothing to be excited about. The box never spawns anything higher then purple (albeit high powered purples). You find better stuff in-game later on.

-SC

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Thanks SilentPanda :D they work great.

This is the sort of thing I experience, I took a video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avr5WgXTc64

I encountered a situation earlier as well where the entire game literally turned into a slide show during a boss fight. I thought the system was going to crash! I minimised to check the system was still responsive, then went back in to the game and the FPS returned to normal. :confused:

EDIT: Oh for what its worth I had Automatic Graphics Switching disabled. So it was not switching to Intel HD graphics.

I just sent you a PM and then came back over to the thread to check up on it. Thanks for the video, that is definitely not how BL2 should be performing for you. You werent kidding Rob, that's terrible :( For sure submit a support ticket when you get a chance and we will get to the bottom of this for you.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Is there any news of borderlands 2 launching this year on the Mac App Store? Also is borderlands 2 a more demanding game in comparison to the first I am running a 2010 iMac with a ati 512mb and also a 2012 MacBook Pro retina are these systems fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.