Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Hey everyone,

I've got to burn a CD for a funeral song so I want as high a quality as possible to burn the CD.

I know they used to do iTunes plus to upgrade the quality and remove the DRM. As I understand it DRM is now gone as standard but have they stopped doing itunes plus now and just give you the higher quality as I cant seem to find the itunes plus option anymore.

an answer ASAP would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Seems like the option to upgrade individual tracks is gone. Replaced by iTunes Match.

I wonder if you delete it and try to redownload it from purchases?

Either that or just re-buy it. :(

B

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, iTunes plus (as a selectable option) is no longer available AFAIK. I looked for it once and failed to find it.

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
No offense, but unless you are blaring this music extremely loud at the funeral, you'll never notice a difference in sound quality.

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
Everything from the iTunes store is 256 AAC from what I've seen. Whether it's encoded the same way as 'iTunes Plus', I do not know.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
Everything is iTunes Plus now. If you have an old iTunes song that is 128kbps or DRMed then delete it. You can then re-download any song you have purchased from iTunes for free. When you re-download the song from the "Purchased Music" section in the iTunes store, it will be a 256kbps DRM-free file, previously known as iTunes Plus.

Last edited:

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Everything is iTunes Plus now. If you have an old iTunes song that is 128kbps or DRMed then delete it. You can then re-download any song you have purchased from iTunes for free. When you re-download the song from the "Purchased Music" section in the iTunes store, it will be a 256kbps DRM-free file, previously known as iTunes Plus.

I tried it but the downloaded tracks are 128k protected aac :confused:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Hey everyone,

I've got to burn a CD for a funeral song so I want as high a quality as possible to burn the CD.

I know they used to do iTunes plus to upgrade the quality and remove the DRM. As I understand it DRM is now gone as standard but have they stopped doing itunes plus now and just give you the higher quality as I cant seem to find the itunes plus option anymore.

an answer ASAP would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom
Their entire library is iTunes Plus now.

DRM free 256kbps AAC.

They did away with the non-plus 128kbps DRM'd AAC.

This happened roughly 3 years ago.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The original method should always work: Burn the songs to an Audio CD, then import it back.

Since the finished product desired is a CD, just burn it using iTunes and done. re=ripping it will not improve the quality over the original 128 kbps.

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
For me, all tracks that I got for free using a redemption code or other promotion remain 128kbps protected, even with iTunes Match. These were also not eligible to upgrade in the first place. Everything else I upgraded when the option was available.

B

cmdrsheppard

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
Offshoot issue here, let me know if I should review a previous post or begin a new one...

I've had iTunes since maybe 2004. I have many songs that have been bought over this time period. I tried to transfer a few hundred songs to my new Galaxy SIII, using doubleTwist and AirSync (which, by the way, I am normally very against paying for these types of applications, but there was an issue that I was for once too lazy to find a workaround for, so I just bought the app).

50 songs could not be transferred because they need an upgrade to iTunes Plus. I did not even know that iTunes Plus existed until now. While it's great they've done away with DRM... I am expected to pay for music I already have...again?

And now I find out that I missed the boat on upgrading them, so I'll have to subscribe to iTunes Match, something in which I have zero interest, in order to redownload these 50 songs (not to mention the countless others throughout my library), after deleting them from my library?

Is there any workaround to this? Any way to strip the DRM without letting Apple screw me six ways to Sunday yet again (no offense; I have a MacBook Pro and am unhealthily attached to it...I'm just getting a little sick of these gimmicks).

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.