Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
These two... always locking horns with each other. When will they grow up.

It seems like Microsoft always wants to do the right thing but Apple doesnt allow it. This app is kind of pointless IMO. All you can do is view things. No editing.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
we have been here before. if a person wants to park a car in my turf to sell godies, i'll take 30%. i'll care for the grass and the trash. capitalism, in other words.

except the person can always use someone else's turf next door to sell goodies

there is no choice here, there is only one 'turf'

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
You sure about that? Sounds like Microsoft is refusing to abide by an agreement that they signed, despite the fact that others do follow their agreements. Where I was raised, that's called "being a liar."

Are you sure about "liar" cos Oxford dictionary describes it differently, maybe you meant "Not being a full" or "Refusing to give big part of your income"?

That is not a rocket science, we can do some math here, 30% out of 100% and
how much you think Microsoft spends to deliver that service, maintaining servers and customer services? I won't be surprised if they spent not less than 40% (out of 100) 100-30(Apple)-40(spendings)=30% so? Microsoft earning 30%, Also Apple taking 30%.

Other companies "abiding" because they are not in that position to stand thair ground and say that is not right.

You don't have to be agree with me (but truth is never change)

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I think that Netflix should pay Apple 30% only if it benefits them enough to warrant it . This sounds like a bit of an Apple apologist, but if Netflix isn't getting enough value from giving up 30% cut to the broker, then they should get out of the deal. However, if Netflix was a tiny company that needed the exposure then the 30% is warranted.

Also, I would do not think it is right if iOS has an 80% market share, leaving limited options for Netflix.

Yap, that's about right.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
And so the role reversal of these two is complete, Apple is the corporate Juggernaut, throwing its weight around and making unreasonable demands and being an ass and Microsoft is the amicable, easy going, reasonable company.

Seriously, i use skydrive a LOT , mostly due to the fact it works through the corporate firewall where dropbox doesn't, to not have skydrive on an iOS device going forward would mean i will be stuck with a crappy android phone for ANOTHER two years (I HATE android OS, but i love some of the android only apps).

I am hoping Apple will pull its rod out of its ass and relax a little on this, preferable before i need to look at a new phone next year, i am hoping to go from my Samsung Galaxy S2 to an iPhone 5S, but its looking like an S3 or Note 2 might be on the cards

Might as well wait on the s4 then

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
That's why the article deserves criticism. The idea that Apple can reject a request to submit an app is just silly. What form would that even take?
:confused:

Wha.. what?

Let's break this down for you:

Microsoft: Hi guys, we want to update the app with this feature.
Apple: We won't allow you to do that.
* Microsoft does not upload an update before this is resolved *

Do you understand this now?

MS need to submit the app with the subs feature removed. If it gets rejected than we'll have a news story.

Yes, they should. Oh wait, they've already done that:
The report claims that Microsoft has offered to remove the subscription options from the SkyDrive app, but Apple has still declined to allow updates to the app. It is unclear why Apple would have refused such an offer, as many similar apps such as Dropbox operate under this model.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
From the article: "The report claims that Microsoft has offered to remove the subscription options from the SkyDrive app, but Apple has still declined to allow updates to the app."

Does that include the sign-up *link* referenced later (and quoted in my post)? If not, then this is exactly the same as what has happened with several other services in the past, and will be resolved in the same ways (30% cut, or no link from the app).

Nothing mysterious about it. It's a well-established pattern at this point.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
And if you added up all the man hours it took Apple to create the AppStore, the model, the R&D and the contracting between them and the developers you'd see that the developers have it better than you think. Why else would the developers adhere to Apple's T&C and pay the 30% if they didn't think they weren't getting a good deal out of it?

Because of the massive amount of iOS users. Not because the App Store is so wonderfully designed. And you do realize there's hundreds of thousands of apps in the App Store, while the AppStore itself is just one big app?

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
There is no point for Microsoft in selling a full version of Office for iOS while giving away 30% to Apple.

Do you think that all the Microsoft retailers, resellers and partners actually sell their products for them without being paid? I believe that resellers of Microsoft online services get something like a 15% commission and they get a lot of support from Microsoft and do a lot less than Apple do.

Whilst 30% is pretty much standard for retail margin, plus you can argue it's actually a better deal as there is no wholesaler / distributor sat in the middle taking a decent margin as well. I used to run a record shop and can say for a fact that 10 years ago a record label would have got no more than 50% of the selling price, which makes the 70% Apple give them look pretty good.

Renzatic

Suspended
If you start allowing individual developers to have their own payment processing everything will start to go wrong, it's just the tip of the iceberg. How do you know if the payment processing is secure? Who do you contact if you've got a problem? Who catches the flack if the payment processor gets hacked? Where do you draw the line for having your own payment processing?

We've been doing it since the dawn of the internet, and we're doing it now since most of the bigger parties have opted out of Apple's IAP set up. No one's died yet.

Plus I doubt someone would call up Apple because Netflix or Dropbox quit working. People aren't complete idiots. They'll know who to contact.

More importantly though is that it's the income from all the paid for apps and in app purchases that cover the costs of providing free apps. It's an eco-system that works, take away the income from revenue generating apps and Apple couldn't justify providing free apps. I guess most people see all the cheap hosting packages on offer and think it's all given away - Apple will be paying out hundreds of millions every year to provide free apps.

Billions a year? Pure hyperbole. There are sites out there that have been hosting free downloads for about forever now. They advertise, sure. Some of them even have subscription fees to cover costs. One thing's for sure, though. It's not costing them billions.

Just look at Steam. They offer up files that are multiple times larger than anything offered on the app store. You pay them once, you can download a 16GB worth of game again and again and again. A 30 meg download is piddly BS in comparison, and probably costs Apple roughly 1/1000 of a cent to host. Hell, Steam even offers up free downloads for MMOs without charging the company a cut of their subscription fees. All they do there is take a payment to use the Steam API, much like Apple does with their developer license. Despite this, Valve is doing pretty well for itself.

If Apple were to nix the charge on subscription services tomorrow, it wouldn't make even the singlest tiniest dent to their bottom line. iTunes and the app store get tons of money elsewhere. The only difference it'd make is that Netflix, Dropbox, and the rest might start using IAPs again, and make it more convenient on us.

Cuz really, these companies are running expensive to run services. Think it's costly for Apple to host all those 30 meg apps? Try being Dropbox, getting hammered with uploads and downloads of gigs worth of large files by millions of people again and again and again. You think Apple deserves 30% of their subscription fees for their hosting their little 30 meg app, yet have no problem with Dropbox giving away 1/3rd of their gross just to be able to post a subscription link through the app. Your opinion isn't balancing out here.

Last edited:

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Here's how Apple should fix this issue:

1. Subscription based models where only the billing is done by Apple, should be reduced, ie 10-15% instead of 30%. Since SkyDrive, Dropbox, etc are services that are hosted on their respected servers and not Apple's servers, there's no need to charge such a high percentage. They are becoming like Visa/Mastercard with their interest rates in this regard.

2. Subscription based models where billing and push notifications are done by Apple, should be at a more modest amount, lets say 15-20%.

3. For in-app purchases that require content downloaded from Apple's servers, push notifications, etc, it should remain 30%.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You're not getting it. You gave an example where two agreed to a mutually beneficial deal. Here, you have apple trying to strong arm Microsoft for a cut with a non mutually benefitial tos. And you claim that there is an agreement?

I'm getting it. Skydrive is already on the App Store. Microsoft already agreed to the deal. Now they want something outside that deal.

It's not FUD. 3rd parties can't link to their own services through apps on iOS. Amazon isn't allowed to process payments through their store through the Kindle iPad app. Apple has to handle it. And thus Apple gets 30% of all sales from Amazon's store.

The only way Amazon can avoid paying that 30% is to get you to buy books from their website, and downloading them from their cloud setup. Apple can use their own storefront to sell their own books through their own app. Amazon can't. They have to use Apple as a payment processor.

That's the point. They have to.

And there is a big difference between offering non-negotiable terms to enter into a business relationship and "forcing" people to do something.

And that's fine, but that isn't what's going on here at all. I need to read up on the article a little more, but it seems that Apple is demanding MS process payments on the Skydrive iOS app through the app store exclusively. There isn't much choice being given.

Nope. Payments outside the App Store have always been allowed as long as they aren't promoted within the app and IAP is implemented as an option.

And what's it costing Apple to run Microsoft's servers? Or Netflix? Or Dropbox? The only thing they're responsible for is that initial 15-30 meg download. As has been stated previously, developers already pay Apple for that right.

If Apple wants more, they should demand an upfront charge for subscription services. Apple deserves the 30% for anything they host directly. Nothing beyond.

Again, there is nothing undeserved about a referral fee or commission. It is a common business arrangement.

Yeah, but in a non-digital environment, if someone doesn't want to pay a commission, they're free to open their own store.

On iOS devices, that's not an option. I'm sure a few of the larger companies would gladly host their own applications if given the choice.

And within a movie theatre, that's not an option. And in Disney World, that's not an option. And within WalMart, that's not an option. And within a mall, that's not an option.

This isn't a unique business arrangement.

You're not getting it.

From the report, Apple, if we take the report at face value, is refusing to update the MS app that removes the subscribe button from the app. MS seems more than willing to have people sign up on their website exclusively for the service. Apple is now, again, according to the report, refusing to allow MS to change the app. This is nothing close to you selling good on a commission. MS is trying to do nothing more than to remove all of the subscribe through the app functionality, which is in compliance with Apple's developer agreement.

I'm getting it. Here's what the report said:

"It is unclear why Apple would have refused such an offer..." You seem to have made some additional assumptions.

But I was discussing the related topic of Apple requiring IAP for subscriptions in general.

As I said before, I would do the same thing. If a service provider wanted me to include a free product in my store that promoted their service without giving me a cut, I would refuse.

That isn't the argument - the argument is that Apple no more "conduct the transaction" for an app like Netflix or Skydrive than a browser conducts the transaction if you order a pizza online.

That's just crap. Apple literally conducts the transaction. The accept the payment, process the transaction, and authenticate the subscriber.

Would you think it's OK if browsers started to take a 30% cut from things like that? Most people (including the ones creating the browsers) would not.

Again, that's just FUD. Here's the real answer. If a browser did that, people would use a different browser. That's the advantage of building the internet on standards.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
And if you added up all the man hours it took Apple to create the AppStore, the model, the R&D and the contracting between them and the developers you'd see that the developers have it better than you think. Why else would the developers adhere to Apple's T&C and pay the 30% if they didn't think they weren't getting a good deal out of it?

Because there is no other choice. If you want to access iOS users you must go through Apple, unless customers can access your product through safari.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Are you sure about "liar" cos Oxford dictionary describes it differently, maybe you meant "Not being a full" or "Refusing to give big part of your income"?

That is not a rocket science, we can do some math here, 30% out of 100% and
how much you think Microsoft spends to deliver that service, maintaining servers and customer services? I won't be surprised if they spent not less than 40% (out of 100) 100-30(Apple)-40(spendings)=30% so? Microsoft earning 30%, Also Apple taking 30%.

Other companies "abiding" because they are not in that position to stand thair ground and say that is not right.

You don't have to be agree with me (but truth is never change)

Then MS managers screwed up. They shouldn't have broken the rule. They can don't release the app, or they can just do it like DropBox which has bigger share than them.

The marketplace keeps changing. 30% may be too high or too low depending on what the app developers and Apple do together. But it's a set price from years ago.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Never know all the details about this kind of stuff. Reminds me of MS XBOX live DLC policy where Mark Rein of Epic games was pissed because MS required Epic to charge for DLC to keep everything even for all devs. Rein wanted it to be free. Believe it was for Gears of War 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Since you are the authority on fact in this case, why don't you enlighten the rest of us.

This is not the first person/company to have their app rejected becuase of this, they are just one of the largest.

You might want to re-read the comment to which you were responding. It isn't asserting authority over the facts, but rather pointing out that the MacRumors article is worded in such a way as to avoid stating actual facts, instead relying on the reader to assume something that may or may not be accurate.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/11/3753968/microsoft-apple-skydrive-discussions-ios-app-rumor

That sounds like they SUBMITTED the updated app to me.
Approval process doesn't start until an app is submitted to the process.

Jeez, we know they submitted an update. It included the subs button and the important bugfix. It got rejected. We know that, and we know why it got rejected - the subs button. Its a clear breach of the rules.

What all the articles are now fumbling is the issue of whether MS RESUBMITTED the app with the subs button removed. The article writers wish us to believe yes, and that Apple scandalously rejected it, but they're not saying it. All they have said is that MS have offered to remove the button. Offered.

The most sensible interpretation is that MS are trying to get the original update approved, despite the subs button, because it fixes the bug. They are offering to remove the subs button on the next update in the hope that appeases Apple. It has not. Apple have refused to pass the update, and require MS to resubmit it with the subs button removed.

Yes, it's a bit of reading between the lines, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than what the article writers are trying to coax us towards believing.

Wait and see. MS will resubmit within a day or two. Crisis over.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Because there is no other choice. If you want to access iOS users you must go through Apple, unless customers can access your product through safari.

... along with the pirates, and other billing issues. Plus hacker attempts on your servers every week.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Then MS managers screwed up. They shouldn't have broken the rule. They can don't release the app, or they can just do it like DropBox which has bigger share than them.

The marketplace keeps changing. 30% may be too high or too low depending on what the app developers and Apple do together. But it's a set price from years ago.

I can see you are not a Developer nor Manager?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Wha.. what?

Let's break this down for you:

Microsoft: Hi guys, we want to update the app with this feature.
Apple: We won't allow you to do that.
* Microsoft does not upload an update before this is resolved *

Do you understand this now?

That is not what has happened. The idea of it is ridiculous. Its just bad writing on the part of the article author. See my other posts on the topic.

Renzatic

Suspended
Again, there is nothing undeserved about a referral fee or commission. It is a common business arrangement.

Only by a huge stretch of logic could you consider what Apple does as a referral or commission fee. Do you believe that because a developer puts a link to their website from inside their app that was initially hosted by Apple that they're indirectly advertising for them?

BaldiMac said:
And there is a big difference between offering non-negotiable terms to enter into a business relationship and "forcing" people to do something.

I think of things the old way. Someone made an app for Windows and Mac, they were offering up their software for the platform without any direct ties to MS or Apple themselves. With this new setup, Apple has made making an app for an iDevice a part of a "business relationship". Apple knows they have a popular platform, and if 3rd parties want to take advantage of that, they have to give up 1/3rd of their operating costs to do so.

It'd be fair, if it were actually costing Apple anything at all to run these subscription services. Which it doesn't. I've already listed the some of the things Netflix is required to pay to run their business. How is Apple directly involved in that? By giving them a slot on their popular platform? Is it costing Apple anything for me to have the app sitting on my springboard doing absolutely nothing? Why do they deserve 30% of Netflix's cut?

If I buy a Vacuum cleaner from Sears, and buy vac bags from an online company, does the online company have to give Sears a cut because they made the initial purchase available to me?

If I subscribe to HBO, do they have to pay Samsung 30% of their profits because the nice, big TV I got from them made me more likely to subscribe in the first place?

If I get a cuisinart...

...you get the point. There's absolutely no reason for Apple to take a cut from subscription fees that could otherwise be handled, directed, and processed elsewhere. No reason to force companies to deal directly with Apple because their app is on their platform once it's on my iPad and not waiting for me in the app store.

Last edited:

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Then why is there a disagreement between the two parties?

Because one of them is trying to side-step a prior agreement. I know the article claims it's all mysterious as to why this might be happening, even as it actually explains the reasons in black and white, but that shouldn't mean you can't find the explanation for yourself.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Jeez, we know they submitted an update. It included the subs button and the important bugfix. It got rejected. We know that, and we know why it got rejected - the subs button. Its a clear breach of the rules.

What all the articles are now fumbling is the issue of whether MS RESUBMITTED the app with the subs button removed. The article writers wish us to believe yes, and that Apple scandalously rejected it, but they're not saying it. All they have said is that MS have offered to remove the button. Offered.

The most sensible interpretation is that MS are trying to get the original update approved, despite the subs button, because it fixes the bug. They are offering to remove the subs button on the next update in the hope that appeases Apple. It has not. Apple have refused to pass the update, and require MS to resubmit it with the subs button removed.

Yes, it's a bit of reading between the lines, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than what the article writers are trying to coax us towards believing.

Wait and see. MS will resubmit within a day or two. Crisis over.
We are working off of assumptions here since proper journalism is severely lacking here.
We are both making assumptions as to what was submitted.
I can only assume that if MS offered to remove the Sub function, they should have no issue getting it approved since it's technically the same thing as DropBox.

The sign up link people are talking about is in the SDK for third party app devs wanting to link into SKyDrive. It's not present in the (current) SkyDrive app.
I can only assume MS is removing it from the SkyDrive app to comply with Apple's rules.
If after removing the sub links Apple still rejects it, we can only assume Apple is being obtuse.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
No, MS have offered to update it. They need to actually update it and resubmit it to get it approved. Nowhere in the article or the source does it say that MS have actually updated it. Until they do, it will keep getting knocked back.

Microsoft, TNW has learned, has a new version of the application ready to go, including a key bug fix that would rectify a crashing bug, but cannot get it through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.