Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

yahoomail.jpg
Yahoo today launched an all new mail client across several platforms, including iOS, Windows 8, Android, and the Web.

According to Yahoo CEO Marissa Meyer, speed and ease of use were the focus during the redesign of Yahoo! Mail.
You've told us loud and clear that you want fewer distractions when it comes to email. You want to quickly login, communicate, and get on with your day. And we've listened. Starting today, the new Yahoo! Mail is fast, easy and available anywhere you go. These improvements will be available on all major platforms: Web, Windows 8, iPhone/iPod touch and Android.

We've redesigned the new version of Yahoo! Mail with speed in mind - getting through your emails is faster than ever before. We've also made your inbox more intuitive and easier to navigate, allowing you to focus on what matters most: your messages. And, because mobile is everything these days, Yahoo! Mail now has a consistent look and feel across devices.
The new Yahoo! Mail app features a simple, clean interface with Yahoo's signature purple accents. It is similar in design to Sparrow, with an uncluttered inbox and a collapsible folder pane on the left side of the screen. The app has push notifications, infinite scroll, and quick photo insertion.

An additional blog post from from Vivek Sharma, General Manager of Yahoo! Mail and Messenger, states that Yahoo! Mail's underlying performance has been enhanced, making it faster to read and compose messages.
Our new, native apps have been built for speed. You can easily scan your inbox and quickly triage - starring important messages that need follow-up, filing messages to folders and deleting unimportant ones - all from the inbox. With infinite scroll, you can quickly find emails from last month or even, last year.

We've also reduced steps to save you time. When you log into Yahoo! Mail on the Web, it'll take you directly to your inbox. We've tweaked the underlying performance so it's faster to compose and read messages. After you send a message, we now take you right back to the inbox. Collectively, that works out to 36 million minutes saved every day.
Yahoo! Mail for iOS, which launched today in the App Store, is available for iPhone users. Yahoo! Mail apps for Windows 8 and Android are also available today, and the web version will roll over the next few days.

Article Link: Yahoo Launches New Streamlined Mail Client for iPhone

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I love it - I've been waiting forever for this. Finally, it looks like Yahoo Mail might be rescued. Have been using my Gmail app instead of Mail on my iPhone and looking forward to using this really nice Yahoo app as well. Mail is simply too limited. I think Apple ought to start developing its own iCloud app if they haven't already.

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
I have to say the standalone Mail app in iOS is really nice and refined feature wise, but could use some upgrades UI wise along with the rest of the system (not too drastic please :) ). Those standalone mail apps are looking really nice.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
All these other mail apps are making the default app look so crappy and dated!

I wish Apple would add their stock apps to the App Store and just do more regular updates! Once or twice a year just isn't good enough now!

Or at least....let us select default apps! I'm using Chrome and Gmail on my iPhone/iPad all the time now!

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
People who are still using Yahoo as their main email client, should be disconnected from the Internet for life.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I really like that design scheme. I would love for iOS I adopt somethin similar. Not the coloring, but I really like the side menu (ie: this app, YouTube) where it drops over from the side, without taking you away from the current screen.

IlliniDude

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
Looks good, but it seems to only use my Yahoo contacts.

I maintain my contacts in iCloud now, so unless there's a way to point the app there, it won't work for me.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
The biggest problem with Yahoo is the spam. Their filter is horrible. My experience has been that gmail and icloud are much better.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Pretty decent (although I am not a fan of purple), but it needs multiple accounts with unified inbox, integration with iOS contacts, and iPad support.

Verbatim Cookie

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Yahoo today launched an all new mail client across several platforms, including iOS, Windows 8, Android, and the Web.
But not Windows Phone 8. Ha. EDIT 2:EDIT: Nor Windows RT. Heh. Ooops :eek:

The biggest problem with Yahoo is the spam. Their filter is horrible.
It's worked almost flawlessly for me. Then again, I hardly use my Yahoo Mail address for anything.

Last edited:

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Back in the day, Yahoo! had one of the best (first) mobile websites for iPad. It's too bad I switched away from them :)

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Marissa, what we'd really like is access to our Yahoo mailboxes from desktop IMAP/POP clients. You know, like every other email provider on the planet?

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
The biggest problem with Yahoo is the spam. Their filter is horrible. My experience has been that gmail and icloud are much better.

I agree. I'm deleting 40-60 messages a day from my Bulk Mail folder.

----------

Marissa, what we'd really like is access to our Yahoo mailboxes from desktop IMAP/POP clients. You know, like every other email provider on the planet?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean... I receive my Yahoo mail in my Apple Mail app on my desktop using imap.mail.yahoo.com

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
My biggest complaint about Yahoo mail is that every few weeks my password stops working. The only solution I have found is to delete my Yahoo account in Apple mail and then add it back with the same password. This sometimes doesn't even work and I have to wait for something to occur on the Yahoo side before I get mail again. This can take as long as a day.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

literally night and day. SO MUCH spam with Yahoo!. literally none with iCloud and Gmail. maybe 1 piece of spam a year with Gmail, MAYBE.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I used to love Yahoo messenger and mail. Even used it as my Apple ID. Over the years, being inundated with spam, seeing reduced & limited features, and thwarting an insane attempt to get users to pay $20/mo for the service, I've demoted it to my "signups" address. It's always getting hacked or corrupted or some damn thing. ...until finally, someone got in, changed my password, alternate email, and security questions. Great. My Apple Store rcpt went there, and I can't get at it for Applecare purposes. Sent inquiries to Yahoo, & they never even bothered responding once. I just finished changing everything over once and for all, abandoning Yahoo forever.

Looking at all the cluttered garbage on their home page, I can only wonder how it is they can still even exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.