Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft and Apple Facing Off Over Office for iOS Subscription Revenues, Not SkyDrive

AllThingsD is reporting that contrary to earlier reports that Apple and Microsoft were arguing over a 30% cut of storage upgrade sales through Microsoft's SkyDrive cloud storage utility, instead the companies are negotiating over revenue Microsoft would bring in as part of its Office 365 subscription service.
Quote:
Office has long been a cash cow for Microsoft and extending the platform to iOS will undoubtedly fatten it further. It will also bring significant benefits to Apple's mobile platform, ones for which Microsoft feels it is owed a discount on that 30 percent cut that Apple would otherwise command on Office 365 subscriptions sold to iOS users through it. The apps are just part of a subscription that includes desktop access.

So the company has been pushing Apple to adjust the 70/30 revenue split in its developer license agreement. Predictably, Apple has refused to comply. It's not yet clear what sort of concession Microsoft is seeking, but whatever it is, Apple's evidently not willing to consider it. Indeed, I'm told it's taken a "the rules are the rules" stance, which would suggest it's not at all willing to negotiate a different split. Apple's position: If a customer comes through its gateway, it feels it is deserved the commission outlined in 11.12 of its developer license.
Apple, for its part, says that App Store rules are fair and are applied equally to all developers, big and small.

Office for iOS has been rumored several times over the past year, but now seems closer to fruition than ever -- if Apple and Microsoft can come to some agreement. Yesterday, Microsoft leaked references to 'Office Mobile for iPhone', 'Excel for iPad', and 'PowerPoint for iPad'.

Article Link: Microsoft and Apple Facing Off Over Office for iOS Subscription Revenues, Not SkyDrive
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:04 PM   #2
damir00
macrumors 6502a

Just sell it for $10 an OfficeApp and be done with it...
damir00 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Chuck-Norris
Banned

i want imcrosoft one note for mac, is it coming out yet??
Chuck-Norris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:05 PM   #4
TheRdungeon
macrumors 6502

Guess this is why Microsoft want so desperately into the hardware side
TheRdungeon is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:07 PM   #5
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Well now.....that just started to make a whole lot more sense.
ugahairydawgs is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Speedy2
macrumors 65816

Microsoft is dead.

Speedy2 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:08 PM   #7
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
It's a slippery slope if you let one developer in with different rules than what the rest are playing by.

Last edited by basesloaded190; Dec 11, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
basesloaded190 is offline   55 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:09 PM   #8
ChazUK
macrumors 603

I had a feeling something was Office related earlier.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:11 PM   #9
LiquidSpikes
macrumors member

Microsoft should go to Cydia with it... :P

And start jailbreaking phones at the microsoft store...
LiquidSpikes is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:15 PM   #10
WhySoSerious
macrumors 65816

there is no need for MS Office for most people. most people can do just fine with Pages/Numbers/Keynotes.

just like most people can do just fine without rooting their phone/tablet. only the hardcore need Office or Android.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:16 PM   #11
Verbatim Cookie
macrumors regular

Would anyone who wants to use Office 365 on an iOS device really be deterred by having to use a traditional computer or a non-iOS handheld to buy their subscription? Are there any would-be Office users who have only an iPad?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:17 PM   #12
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSpikes View Post
Microsoft should go to Cydia with it... :P

And start jailbreaking phones at the microsoft store...
haha, this would be awesome...truely
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:18 PM   #13
buddhistMonkey
macrumors newbie

Apple acts the bigger man and Microsoft acts like a child
buddhistMonkey is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:18 PM   #14
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoSerious View Post
there is no need for MS Office for most people. most people can do just fine with Pages/Numbers/Keynotes.

just like most people can do just fine without rooting their phone/tablet. only the hardcore need Office or Android.
Right.
AppleScruff1 is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:18 PM   #15
newdeal
macrumors 68000

well first of all it needs full compatibility with office for every other OS, which is doubtful since it will be small and crippled and not even office for mac is fully compatible with windows. If MS could get full office on there without crippling it and without compatibility issues, and if Microsoft gave them exclusive on tablets (never going to happen). I could see Apple doing this. Otherwise there is no incentive, they already have pages, keynote etc
newdeal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:18 PM   #16
jamesnajera
macrumors 6502

Just what I want, a subscription based MS Office. Way to blow it MS.
jamesnajera is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:19 PM   #17
realeric
macrumors 6502a

This Ferrari is free but you have to pay $1,000 monthly fee. Should the sales commission be $0 because the car is free?
realeric is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:20 PM   #18
walnuts
macrumors 6502

Hmmm... I know that a link to a subscription service outside of Apple's subscription is forbidden, but what about simply a line that says "Tap here to subscribe to [whatever the office service is called] OR go online and save 30% off the subscription price!"

I understand that Apple is just being consistent here, but really, I think this whole subscription thing was asking too much and its been hurting the consumer most of all. When you build an app and you get apple to market it/sell it for you, then fine, apple can take a 30% cut. But, if your app is merely a gateway for other content, then apple shouldn't have its hands in it.

True, this is a bad example- this is Microsoft being sneaky, realizing it can't charge the high prices it usually does for office for an iOS app (competition pricing is much lower) and trying to make it a "service" to get more revenue via subscription payments. But, in other cases, like for say Amazon or Spotify, Apple is interjecting itself to take the money. If companies are more than willing to sell their own subscriptions and offer a free app as a gateway, then why should apple get a cut?

Really, what I'm saying is, Apple, give up on this subscription thing. I don't have any hard data, but it sounds to me like all its succeeded in doing is making it more difficult for app builders (making marketing their product harder unless they want to cough up 30%) and consumers (making them find their way on their own to make subscriptions when most developers won't pay the 30%). How many developers are really just giving in and forking over 30%?
walnuts is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:22 PM   #19
raremage
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
i want imcrosoft one note for mac, is it coming out yet??
It's out for iOS, but not for Mac. At least, as far as I know.
raremage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:22 PM   #20
ArchAndroid
macrumors member

Microsoft are having a laugh. Rules are rules; either abide by them or go elsewhere. Would love to read that Apple email though:

'Dear Microsoft,

given your gross lack of comprehension, we have compiled a concise list of important Apple Store rules:

1. We take 30% of everything.
2. Read Number 1.

Yours apathetically,
'
ArchAndroid is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:24 PM   #21
haravikk
macrumors 65816

This only highlights how stupid it is to force developers to use in-app subscriptions as a subscription shouldn't just be for the iOS version of an app, and if it isn't then Apple shouldn't be able to get a 30% cut of the non-iOS portion.

Apple's current system is fine for simpler set-ups where an iOS app simply requires a recurring cost to keep using it, but for more complex setups a different system is sorely needed. At the very least the system should only take Apple's cut when the payment is done through an iOS device; if the user decides to renew their subscription online on their Mac instead then that should go via whatever system is in place to enable that.

It's not as if this would cripple Apple's income, as tons of users will prefer the convenience of doing it through their iOS device; and that's exactly what Apple's cut is supposed to be for.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:24 PM   #22
Obese Lobsters
macrumors member

Quote:

Most people with ipads that I know use notability to write notes on powerpoints, diminishing the value of office.
Obese Lobsters is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:25 PM   #23
Rocketman
macrumors 603

The feedback and control loop on this story was so short it was only spaced by one other post to the HOME PAGE. MS is right on top of these rumors and stories. AAPL has not budged. They own a massive ecosystem.

I am pretty sure AAPL will give MS a $150m loan when they are desperate. It's only right.

Last edited by Rocketman; Dec 11, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Rocketman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:25 PM   #24
TOYSTER17
macrumors regular

Quote:

NotSureIfSerious
TOYSTER17 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:29 PM   #25
Stella
macrumors 603

Well microsoft, use this to your advantage.

Release Office only for mobile windows and leverage that face: MS office available only on microsoft powered phones and tablets, great for businesses and consumers alike. The best compatibility between your desktop and tablet, at a level iOS cannot achieve.

Last edited by Stella; Dec 11, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Stella is offline   15 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion