Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I have an iPhone 5 and, at random, when I turn it on (I always have it on maximum brightness), its at its dimmest setting. I have a pass code lock and know I don't change it beforehand. Does anyone else have this problem? When I turn it off then back on (not shut down) it goes back to max brightness. Happened twice so far. o_O

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
never seen that. maybe its trying to save you some battery life. full brightness is very bright, you really need it that high?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
ya it happened to me few times as well, but I just ignored it....its definitely not just you tho as there was a thread somewhere else I saw (maybe here on the forum) but i cant recall exact place about others having the same issue*

I wouldnt call it an issue as it resolves quickly but I'm sure its just software related.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Yeah it's happened to me on my 4S. I think it might be due to the ambient light sensor being blocked for a quick second, which makes the iPhone think that is pitch black in the area and put the brightness all the way down.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I'm the same as you, always have my iPhone at max brightness (can't use it any lower!) and I've noticed when I unlock it but then accidentally lock it again....then quickly press the lock button for the third time it does the same....the brightness goes right down. Usually just by locking and unlocking it again it sorts it out!

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
My iPad has done this but the exact opposite.
When I unlock the screen everything will be at minimal brightness, like even less than I can physically turn the screen down to. Barely visible.
It will stay like that until I lock it and unlock it again. I don't know what the heck it is but I've seen it happen 3 or 4 times now. Seems to be at random. :confused:

EDIT: My bad I misread your post. Our devices are doing the same thing. Must be an iOS 6 bug if its happening across devices..

Yeah it's happened to me on my 4S. I think it might be due to the ambient light sensor being blocked for a quick second, which makes the iPhone think that is pitch black in the area and put the brightness all the way down.

I don't think this is the case because my iPad will go way below what it actually will let me turn the brightness to.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
i usually reboot my iphone every few days. Once, it was on max brightness when it booted. I usually keep it at about 80%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.